Old 19-09-2005, 04:10 AM
graham

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"graham" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"Dee Randall" wrote in message

Thanks a LOT for all these options. I hardly bake (except for bread)

and
this recipe has got me started. The last week I've made a couple of
loaves
of bread in the food processor. You've been a source of encouragement
regarding using the fp for doughs. So I appreciate from you your
information about how to get this cinnamon roll recipe halved and

adapted
the fp.
Your information filed under: "Cinnamon rolls."
Dee

I like to bake but I detest cleaning up. My kitchen is small an it
doesn't
take much to turn it into a disaster zone. Since I have an open floor
plan,
it is like cooking in the living room, so I just can't close the door

and
hide a big mess. I find the food processor is a great help in

preventing
mess when baking. When I use the stand mixer I inevitably send a cloud

of
flour across the kitchen. The FP contains he mess and makes quick work

of
producing bread dough and pie pastry. I have learned to use it for

cookie
dough and quick-bread batter.

I used my Cuisinart for many years to make bread dough until I bought the
Bosch to make large quantities of pain-au-levain. Starting at 6pm, I
usually had 16-18 400g loaves in the freezer by 11pm without too much
mess
to clean up. This morning, my kitchen is a wreck;-( With all the strain
with which I subjected it , the spindle cracked and is now being
replaced.
It will get another good work-out making pastry at xmas.
Graham

You will have to share your holiday pastry recipes.

I will, later. I make an alternative to mince pies that is very popular.
The cheese alternative turned out well. Next time (always a next time) I'll
add a little cheese to the dough, I think. I used 250g of strong cheddar
for the roll. I think perhaps 300-350g might be a bit better - possibly
with a dash of nutmeg?
Your dough recipe is very flexible.
Graham

Old 19-09-2005, 04:57 AM
Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"Alex Rast" wrote in message
at Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:47:57 GMT in
, (Vox
Humana) wrote :

"Alex Rast" wrote in message
.. .
at Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:28:45 GMT in
,
(Dee
Randall) wrote :

Here are a few pictures of cinnamon rolls
http://images.google.com/images?q=cinnamon+roll&hl=en

Speaking of recipes - does anyone have a recipe for cinnamon rolls
that turn out rather like PD_Cinnamon_roll_95_g_lyrical_2? ...
I'm looking for - a rather bready, moist roll with a slightly crisp
crust, pronounced but not aggressive cinnamon flavour, and most
importantly, not tooth-aching sweetness.

The sweetness and the intensity of the cinnamon are nearly entirely
attributable to the filling and topping. There is a limit to the amount
of sugar you can add to yeast dough before it fails to perform, so it is
unlikely that the dough is the sauce of too much sweetness unless your
threshold for sweetness is very low.

I use the recipe for sweet dough that is in the Kitchen Aid stand mixer
cookbook. I roll that out, slather it with butter, sprinkle with brown
sugar and then with cinnamon. I don't measure the ingredients for the
filling. You can control the texture of the crust by the length of
baking, the sweetness by moderating the sugar in the filling, the
intensity of the cinnamon by using it sparingly. I think much of the
cloying sweetness of the Cinnamon product is from the mountain of
frosting they slather on it.
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
2 pkgs. yeast
1/3 cup of warm water ( 105-115F)
3 eggs
5/12 to 6 1/2 cups AP flour

Thanks for the recipe! Boy, does that look like a lot of butter, at least
relative to the amounts of fat I'm used to putting into most breads with
any fat at all. I can see the idea, though - you'd want a reasonable

amount
to crisp the outside well. I suspect part of the key to the kind of

texture
and taste is the ratio of milk - specifically, I'm suspicious I'm looking
for a recipe with a hefty dose. 1/2 cup sugar doesn't sound wildly
excessive, although I'm tempted to reduce it to 1/3 cup. But I will try
first of all exactly as specified, because guessing before testing gives

me
no reference to compare against.

I might also want to experiment with a longer rise, much like ordinary
breads, for a yeastier flavour. However, I'm wary of doing this to

extremes
with sweet breads. I can see possibilities for various undesirable
runaway
effects.

Cinnabons are sweet in every component. The roll dough is sweet, the
filling is insanely sweet, and so is the frosting. Mountain of frosting
is
about right. Check out the proportions on the roll I called out. That's
more realistic (as well as more practical to eat).

On cinnamon intensity vs. harshness, I've found that the key point is to
use Ceylon cinnamon. Much better, warmer, less sharp flavour. However,
cinnamon is perhaps the most potent spice of all, and I find too often
people (like Cinnabon), use it very heavy-handedly. What do you think

about
mixing butter, sugar, and cinnamon first, then spreading it out on the
dough? The build-up you suggest sounds to me like it might lead to
another
effect that I'm not really fond of - cinnamon rolls that "unroll" when
you
pull on them. What I've seen is that often in these rolls, the cinnamon

and
butter, done in layered fashion as you describe, act a bit like greasing
pan, preventing the rolls from staying whole. My idea is to have a
filling
that actually bonds the spiral together.

I find that with the high sugar and butter content, the rise can often
take
a long time, especially at cool room temperature. I tend to like the
intense cinnamon flavor and often supplement it with a combination of
freshly ground allspice and nutmeg. All three spices are high in
eugenol -
that distinctive clove flavor. Maybe its because I'm a dentist and
eugenol
is in a lot of dental products, that I am fond of or desensitized to the
flavor. I know I have overdone the spices when they cause acid reflux!

I can do without the thick coat of frosting. I make some cream cheese
frosting and if anyone wants frosting, they can add their own. My partner
will go to the supermarket in a blizzard to get cream cheese for the
frosting if I haven't remembered (or bothered) to buy it. I would rather
drizzle a glaze of flat icing over the warm rolls and call it quits. In
the
KitchenAid cookbook, they recommend a sauce that is made from sweetened
condensed milk, as I recall, that I have never considered making. That is
way too sweet for me - sort of like that bread pudding recipe that is made
with KripyKream glazed doughnuts and sweetened condensed milk. It would
be
enough to cause a diabetic shock!

As for mixing all the filling components and then spreading them, that is
the standard method. I'm just lazy and don't want to measure the
ingredients or dirty another bowl. That's why I just build the filling,
dispensing the components right from their containers. I never thought
about the "unrolling" issue. Sometimes if I place them close together
they
sometime "telescope" while rising.

"I find that with the high sugar and butter content, the rise can often take
a long time, especially at cool room temperature."

For me, if I didn't want to waste my time and risk a failure, I would next
time reduce the yeast by one-half. One reason is that I don't care for a
yeasty-tasting product. The rise took a very short time, IMO, is one reason
I felt that there was too much yeast.
1 packet yeast = 2-1/4 teaspoon yeast, right? so it called for 4-1/2
teaspoons. Since I don't make this kind of product generally, all I know is
how to compare it to is bread I make usually using about 1-1/2 teaspoons for
4 cups flour.
I do like the Ceylon cinnamon; next time, I think I'll try a little nutmeg,
too; I stay away from allspice (headache big time!)
Dee

Old 20-09-2005, 03:16 AM
graham

"Alex Rast" wrote in message
at Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:29:40 GMT in [email protected],
(graham) wrote :

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
news

"graham" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I reduced the sugar by 40g and substituted 40g of maple syrup
instead. After rolling out and brushing with butter, I sprinkled 115g
of coarse maple sugar and 100g chopped walnuts over the dough and
rolled as instructed....

You might consider using some maple flavoring in the dough.... The
flavoring would allow you to greatly increase the maple flavor...

I was using #1 grade Canadian maple syrup. I'm not keen on using any
artificial flavours but the total replacement of the sugar with syrup
may be sufficient...

You might also want to try using Shady Maple Farms' Clearly Maple which is
a super-thick (pure) maple syrup. It's got a thickness similar to thick
honey, so that you spoon it out of the jar unless you want to wait a
while.
I found the difference in maple flavour it imparted when added to hot
cereal (e.g. Red River or, for that matter, porridge) made that critical
jump from slightly too weak to just right, so that you could really taste
the maple as opposed to it being a very subtle hint. I suspect that this
will get you where you want to go.

Thanks! I'll look out for some. At the nearest farmers' market, there is a
stall selling Quebecois products, mostly maple syrup/candy/sugar/butter etc
but also cheese curds for poutine.
Graham