maria

Default cake tin sizes

I have a round cake tin that is 30cm/12in in size. I cannot find many
recipes for this. If I want to make a cake that calls for a smaller cake
tin size, how do I adjust the ingredient quantities so that this tin is
useable?
thanks for your help.
Maria

Vox Humana

"maria" > wrote in message
newsp.swq440hncph766@nadiaammar...
> I have a round cake tin that is 30cm/12in in size. I cannot find many
> recipes for this. If I want to make a cake that calls for a smaller cake
> tin size, how do I adjust the ingredient quantities so that this tin is
> useable?
> thanks for your help.
> Maria

You can convert the recipe to "baker's percentages" and then scale the
recipe up or down to fit the pan.
http://www.artisanbakers.com/percentage.html

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...7s+percentages

maria

Thanks very much! I went to that site however and found conversions for
bread but not cakes. That means I am not sure how to convert the eggs,
sugar or other things that are in a cake but not in bread!

> You can convert the recipe to "baker's percentages" and then scale the
> recipe up or down to fit the pan.
> http://www.artisanbakers.com/percentage.html
>
> http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...7s+percentages

Vox Humana

"maria" > wrote in message
newsp.swrxoanqcph766@nadiaammar...
> Thanks very much! I went to that site however and found conversions for
> bread but not cakes. That means I am not sure how to convert the eggs,
> sugar or other things that are in a cake but not in bread!

Then you missed the fundamental concept. You could apply this to any baked
goods: cakes, bread, cookies, ... You first convert all the ingredients to
weight if necessary. For instance, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of AP
flour, you have to convert that to 120 grams of flour. One egg is 50 grams.
Since you are in the UK, I skipped this point as I assumed you were already
using weight measures instead of cup measurements.

Once the ingredients are converted to weight, you choose a reference
ingredient (usually the one with the highest weight, like flour) and make
that the 100% reference. You calculate the ratios from that as explained in
the many sites at the link I posted. So if your cake recipe calls for 300g
of flour and you want to increase the recipe to fit a 20% larger pan, the
flour weight is increased to 360 grams. If the sugar is 100% of the flour
weight, it now 360 grams, also. If the fat is 20% of the flour weight, it
now becomes 72g. If the weight of the eggs is 30% of the flour weight, then
you use 108 grams of eggs. Technically, the amount of leavening agent
doesn't increase proportionally as the pan size increases, but within the
limits of the home kitchen, I wouldn't worry about it. For very small
measurement like "1/4 tsp. of nutmeg" I just estimate.

If you need to calculate the weight of given amount of an ingredient, there
are a couple of good methods. First, nutrition labels (at least in the US)
state the serving size in both cup and weight measurements. For instance,
AP flours says the serving size is 1/4 cup or 30 grams. Therefore a cup of
AP flour is 120 grams. If that doesn't work, you can find the data by
searching the USDA nutrition database:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

If you search on "egg" you will find many choices including "whole, raw egg"
After selecting that choice you will find that one large egg is 50 grams.

I pencil in the weights and percentages in my cookbooks as I go.

maria

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:54:53 +0100, Vox Humana > wrote:

> "maria" > wrote in message
> newsp.swrxoanqcph766@nadiaammar...
>> Thanks very much! I went to that site however and found conversions for
>> bread but not cakes. That means I am not sure how to convert the eggs,
>> sugar or other things that are in a cake but not in bread!
>> >

> Then you missed the fundamental concept. You could apply this to any
> baked
> goods: cakes, bread, cookies, ... You first convert all the
> ingredients to
> weight if necessary. For instance, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of AP
> flour, you have to convert that to 120 grams of flour. One egg is 50
> grams.
> Since you are in the UK, I skipped this point as I assumed you were
> already
> using weight measures instead of cup measurements.
>
> Once the ingredients are converted to weight, you choose a reference
> ingredient (usually the one with the highest weight, like flour) and make
> that the 100% reference. You calculate the ratios from that as
> explained in
> the many sites at the link I posted. So if your cake recipe calls for
> 300g
> of flour and you want to increase the recipe to fit a 20% larger pan, the
> flour weight is increased to 360 grams. If the sugar is 100% of the
> flour
> weight, it now 360 grams, also. If the fat is 20% of the flour weight,
> it
> now becomes 72g. If the weight of the eggs is 30% of the flour weight,
> then
> you use 108 grams of eggs. Technically, the amount of leavening agent
> doesn't increase proportionally as the pan size increases, but within the
> limits of the home kitchen, I wouldn't worry about it. For very small
> measurement like "1/4 tsp. of nutmeg" I just estimate.
>
> If you need to calculate the weight of given amount of an ingredient,
> there
> are a couple of good methods. First, nutrition labels (at least in the
> US)
> state the serving size in both cup and weight measurements. For
> instance,
> AP flours says the serving size is 1/4 cup or 30 grams. Therefore a cup
> of
> AP flour is 120 grams. If that doesn't work, you can find the data by
> searching the USDA nutrition database:
> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
>
> If you search on "egg" you will find many choices including "whole, raw
> egg"
> After selecting that choice you will find that one large egg is 50 grams.
>
> I pencil in the weights and percentages in my cookbooks as I go.

Wow thanks for the detail-- that makes perfect sense. Great.

maria

Vox Humana

newsp.sws1fndrcph766@nadiaammar...

wrote:

> > "maria" > wrote in message
> > newsp.swrxoanqcph766@nadiaammar...
> >> Thanks very much! I went to that site however and found conversions for
> >> bread but not cakes. That means I am not sure how to convert the eggs,
> >> sugar or other things that are in a cake but not in bread!
> >> >

> > Then you missed the fundamental concept. You could apply this to any
> > baked
> > goods: cakes, bread, cookies, ... You first convert all the
> > ingredients to
> > weight if necessary. For instance, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of AP
> > flour, you have to convert that to 120 grams of flour. One egg is 50
> > grams.
> > Since you are in the UK, I skipped this point as I assumed you were
> > already
> > using weight measures instead of cup measurements.
> >
> > Once the ingredients are converted to weight, you choose a reference
> > ingredient (usually the one with the highest weight, like flour) and

make
> > that the 100% reference. You calculate the ratios from that as
> > explained in
> > the many sites at the link I posted. So if your cake recipe calls for
> > 300g
> > of flour and you want to increase the recipe to fit a 20% larger pan,

the
> > flour weight is increased to 360 grams. If the sugar is 100% of the
> > flour
> > weight, it now 360 grams, also. If the fat is 20% of the flour weight,
> > it
> > now becomes 72g. If the weight of the eggs is 30% of the flour weight,
> > then
> > you use 108 grams of eggs. Technically, the amount of leavening agent
> > doesn't increase proportionally as the pan size increases, but within

the
> > limits of the home kitchen, I wouldn't worry about it. For very small
> > measurement like "1/4 tsp. of nutmeg" I just estimate.
> >
> > If you need to calculate the weight of given amount of an ingredient,

> > there
> > are a couple of good methods. First, nutrition labels (at least in the
> > US)
> > state the serving size in both cup and weight measurements. For
> > instance,
> > AP flours says the serving size is 1/4 cup or 30 grams. Therefore a cup
> > of
> > AP flour is 120 grams. If that doesn't work, you can find the data by
> > searching the USDA nutrition database:
> > http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
> >
> > If you search on "egg" you will find many choices including "whole, raw
> > egg"
> > After selecting that choice you will find that one large egg is 50

grams.

> > I pencil in the weights and percentages in my cookbooks as I go.
> >

> Wow thanks for the detail-- that makes perfect sense. Great.

No problem. It all seems very complex until you do it once.

graham

"maria" > wrote in message
newsp.swrxoanqcph766@nadiaammar...
> Thanks very much! I went to that site however and found conversions for
> bread but not cakes. That means I am not sure how to convert the eggs,
> sugar or other things that are in a cake but not in bread!
>>
>> You can convert the recipe to "baker's percentages" and then scale the
>> recipe up or down to fit the pan.
>> http://www.artisanbakers.com/percentage.html
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...7s+percentages

Maria:
I have a chart that shows the quantities needed for rich fruit cake for ALL
the standard round and square tins. If you like, I could scan it and e-mail
it to you. It's from a 30 year old paperback put out by Good Housekeeping
in the UK. It uses weights, not cups.
Cheers
Graham

Alex Rast

at Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:54:53 GMT in
Humana) wrote :

>"maria" > wrote in message
>newsp.swrxoanqcph766@nadiaammar...
>> Thanks very much! I went to that site however and found conversions
>> for bread but not cakes. That means I am not sure how to convert the
>> eggs, sugar or other things that are in a cake but not in bread!
>> >

>Then you missed the fundamental concept. You could apply this to any
>baked goods: cakes, bread, cookies, ... You first convert all the
>ingredients to weight if necessary. For instance, if the recipe calls
>for 1 cup of AP flour, you have to convert that to 120 grams of flour.
>One egg is 50 grams. Since you are in the UK, I skipped this point as I
>assumed you were already using weight measures instead of cup
>measurements.

Remember also one point that some people miss. If you're trying to fit a
pan, quantities must go up as the *square* of the given pan dimension if
you want the same thickness, or as the *cube* if you want the same aspect
ratio (i.e. the thickness maintains the same proportion). So, for instance,
if your recipe was given for a 22cm (9") pan, and your pan is 30cm, if you
wanted the cake to be as thick as the original, then you'd need to increase
the ratios by (30/22)^2 = 1.9 times. And if you wanted it to be
proportional in appearance, not a wider, thinner-looking cake, you'd need
to increase the ratio by (30/22)^3 = 2.5 times. Throw any baking times out
the window. The larger cake will take longer, but it won't be 1.9 times or
2.5 times. It will be somewhat shorter than 1.9 in general for the thin
version, and probably a little longer than 2.5 for the same-aspect-ratio
version. This can have an impact on center versus outside texture and
browning. You may need a slightly lower temperature for the large version
if the recipe has a very high sugar content or sensitive ingredients like
chocolate. Lots of variables here. It's better to test the cake during
baking rather than try to scale baking times up or down.

--
Alex Rast

can sizes Jean B.[_1_] Historic 0 17-08-2007 06:35 PM
Can Sizes MOMPEAGRAM Recipes 0 23-07-2005 12:33 AM
fine cake decorating tips (sizes 0 and 00) in NYC? gussie Baking 16 03-09-2004 04:13 AM
cake decorating tips (sizes 0 and 00) in NYC? gussie Cooking Equipment 3 24-08-2004 04:24 PM
egg sizes / different uses? JLove98905 General Cooking 11 12-04-2004 11:30 PM