stiko

Default Rice flour question

Hi. I wonder what kind of rice flour I could use for my baking. Here there
are three types all imported from Thailand (one of them called glutinous
(?)) and one brand which is BIO (this is just one type). Any suggestions?
Thnx

RsH

I would not use Glutinous as it is designed to be sticky, and will
make an excellent flour paste for children to use in making collage
art work projects, or gluing paper together. It is a high starch
flour, which you really do NOT need except if you are making the
sticky types of buns that it is intended for. I would see if the
protein levels are available for the various types, and pick the one
with the most protein. As rice flour has NO gluten, you need to use
baking powder to get a rise out of rice flour mixtures when baking.

http://importfood.com/fger1601.html
Glutinous Rice Flour is also known as sweet rice flour or sweet rice
powder, this flour is made from short-grain rice that becomes moist,
firm and sticky when cooked, a result of its higher proportion of waxy
starch molecules. Because of its chewy texture, glutinous rice flour
is a favourite base for dumplings, buns and pastries. Sweets made with
glutinous rice flour are popular and widely available throughout
Southeast Asia. Useful Hints, regular rice flour cannot be substituted
in recipes that call for glutinous or sweet rice flour. Product of
Thailand. Glutinous rice is also called sweet rice, or sticky rice.

http://importfood.com/fger1602.html
Rice flour, sometimes called rice powder, is made from finely milled
white raw rice and is used to make fresh rice noodles, pastries and
sweets. Rice flour is a staple food item throughout Southeast Asia.
Used to thicken various Oriental dishes. Made from rice, the general
purpose is similar to flour. Also an important ingredient in various
Thai desserts. Product of Thailand.

Almond And Rice Flour Bread With Poppy Seeds
http://search.yumyum.com/recipe.htm?ID=10266
Made with the whole rice kernel, Brown Rice Flour is high in fiber,
vitamins and minerals, and it's gluten-free. And it's versatile, great
for baking, in sauces and as a nutty-flavoured coating.

FWIW

RsH
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:38:06 +0300, "stiko" > wrote:

>Hi. I wonder what kind of rice flour I could use for my baking. Here there
>are three types all imported from Thailand (one of them called glutinous
>(?)) and one brand which is BIO (this is just one type). Any suggestions?
>Thnx

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!