Old 21-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 06:45:17a, graham wrote in rec.food.baking:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Sun 21 Aug 2005 05:46:13a, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
rec.food.baking:

Hoges in WA wrote on 21 Aug 2005 in rec.food.baking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Sat 20 Aug 2005 07:40:25p, Roy wrote in rec.food.baking: snipped

Granted, the recipe the OP posted looked suspiciously like one
from AU or UK,
given the SR flour and custard powder, but... There was that
mention of cocoa. :-)

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright ** ____________________________________________
snipped

Wayne:-

OP is definitely in AU - WA = Western Australia. Probably 37
squillion miles from you, and probably on the other side of the
planet depending on where you are.

OP is also definitely not an expert - is nearly a complete klutz who
struggles daily/weekly to make things in the kitchen.

Is Hershey's cocoa different from other cocoa in any great degree?
Doubt I could get it down where I live.

Hoges in WA

OP probably uses Fryes Cocoa....which isn't dutch processed.
To my tastes Dutch processed tastes less bitter.

Agreed, but some recipes may need to be adjusted because of the lower
acidity of Dutched cocoa.

Wayne, at some time or other I've used all of them and by the time you've
added sugar, vanilla and perhaps coffee and buttermilk, it doesn't matter
much which type you use.
Graham

Certainly little if any difference as far as flavor is concerned, Graham.
However, I've read that recipes depending on the reaction of baking soda
and the acid in regular cocoa may not work as well with Dutched cocoa,
since the acid level is significantly reduced. I haven't experimented with
it, so I obviously don't know for sure.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 6:54:45 AM

Old 21-08-2005, 03:59 PM
graham

[...]

I wonder if UK and Aussie recipes take that into account as most would be
based on non-dutched cocoa such as Fry's.
Graham

Old 21-08-2005, 04:33 PM
graham

"Mr Libido Incognito" wrote in message
[...]

I've just rooted out the can of Fry's cocoa at the back of my kitchen
cupboard. It says clearly on the label:
"Since 1728, FRY'S COCOA has been using the Dutch process for superior
quality and flavour"

I think that there may be a typo. Wasn't the Dutch process invented in
1828?
Graham

Graham

Old 21-08-2005, 04:43 PM
graham

[...]

I've been googling (instead of doing the weekly laundry) and here's a link
that back's up your thoughts on the subject.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/icooks/9-2-02.html

Now, back to the laundry
Graham

Old 21-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Dave Bell

Hoges in WA

(tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter into
baking for me)

Mmmm... Caught my eye, as I mopped up the last crumbs from my second
wedge of yesterday's late night soda bread. (I *will* stop at two!)

Are these a sweet biscuit, or like a dinner baking powder biscuit?
http://www.woolfit.com/oatmealbiscuits.html or
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=34574
(I know, but I don't use the stuff, anyway...)

Dave

Old 21-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Dave Bell

Dave Bell wrote:

Hoges in WA

(tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter
into baking for me)

Mmmm... Caught my eye, as I mopped up the last crumbs from my second
wedge of yesterday's late night soda bread. (I *will* stop at two!)

Are these a sweet biscuit, or like a dinner baking powder biscuit?
http://www.woolfit.com/oatmealbiscuits.html or
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=34574
(I know, but I don't use the stuff, anyway...)

Dave

I should have seen and added this one, from Melbourne:
http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...ice/Chap1.html

Dave
Old 21-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 08:43:26a, graham wrote in rec.food.baking:

[...]

Thanks, Graham!

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 2:00:30 PM

Old 21-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 08:33:24a, graham wrote in rec.food.baking:

[...]

Yes, in 1828 by Conrad J. van Houten.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 2:03:57 PM

Old 21-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 10:15:44a, Dave Bell wrote in rec.food.baking:

Dave Bell wrote:

Hoges in WA

(tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter
into baking for me)

Mmmm... Caught my eye, as I mopped up the last crumbs from my second
wedge of yesterday's late night soda bread. (I *will* stop at two!)

Are these a sweet biscuit, or like a dinner baking powder biscuit?
http://www.woolfit.com/oatmealbiscuits.html or
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=34574 (I know,
but I don't use the stuff, anyway...)

Dave

I should have seen and added this one, from Melbourne:
http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...ookies/oatmeal
-slice/Chap1.html

Dave

This sounds SO good! Is this not like an Anzac biscuit?

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 2:05:51 PM

Old 22-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Hoges in WA

"Dave Bell" wrote in message
m...
Dave Bell wrote:

Hoges in WA

(tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter
into baking for me)

Mmmm... Caught my eye, as I mopped up the last crumbs from my second
wedge of yesterday's late night soda bread. (I *will* stop at two!)

Are these a sweet biscuit, or like a dinner baking powder biscuit?
http://www.woolfit.com/oatmealbiscuits.html or
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=34574
(I know, but I don't use the stuff, anyway...)

Dave

I should have seen and added this one, from Melbourne:
http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...ice/Chap1.html

Dave

That's more like it for sweet biscuits.

The recipe I use (ok,ok, the one I made her use)

1 cup plain flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dessicated coconut
125g unsalted butter
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
1tbls boiling water.

These ones are certainly sweet.

Hoges in WA

Old 22-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 22 Aug 2005 03:44:55a, Hoges in WA wrote in rec.food.baking:

"Dave Bell" wrote in message
m...
Dave Bell wrote:

[...]

Glad you posted this. It looks good!

--
Wayne Boatwright **

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0534-0, 08/22/2005
Tested on: 8/22/2005 12:42:38 PM

Old 22-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Dave Bell

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Hoges in WA wrote:

Hoges in WA

(tucking into a pile of Oatmeal biscuits I managed to con my daughter
into baking for me)

Dave

I should have seen and added this one, from Melbourne:
http://www.worldwideschool.org/libra...ice/Chap1.html

That's more like it for sweet biscuits.

The recipe I use (ok,ok, the one I made her use)

1 cup plain flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dessicated coconut
125g unsalted butter
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
1tbls boiling water.

These ones are certainly sweet.

Hoges in WA

Are your daughter's biscuits rolled and cut, dropped, or baked in a pan
then sliced, like Bronwyn's in the link? They're certainly very similar
ingredient lists...

Dave

cake question sf[_9_] General Cooking 25 22-06-2011 04:59 AM
Cake Glaze Question Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 5 28-05-2011 07:04 AM
Ground meat cake (was Strawberry Basket Cake Question) OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 0 05-05-2006 03:09 PM
A cake question [email protected] General Cooking 2 15-01-2006 05:39 AM
Eiser cake question [email protected] Baking 174 02-03-2005 09:15 PM