Fritz

Default pie crust w/liquid fat

can anyone share their experiences making pie crust with liquid
shortening and/or butter?
better worse, the same?

Roy

I would say....awful....It lacks flakiness and the texture is not
short... or tough eating
..In addition when baked the dough shrinks more....browns more....with a
distinct oiliness ....looking like a fried biscuit <grin>...

Vox Humana

"Fritz" > wrote in message
news:2005072514095616807%mtropiclnospam@nospamopto nlinenet...
> can anyone share their experiences making pie crust with liquid
> shortening and/or butter?
> better worse, the same?

Flakiness in pastry comes from surrounding particles of fat with a "paste"
or dough. Using liquid shortening will give you a very fragile crust that
is not flaky. Also, oils don't usually have much flavor, unless you use
olive oil.

The only reason that I see consistently given for using oil is in relation
to technique. That is, people who haven't mastered cutting fat into the
flour often find that using oil is easier. They always tell you that the
pastry is very tender, which it is. It isn't flaky however.

I find the best results come from a combination of butter and solid
shortening. This gives a very flavorful crust that flaky, tender, and easy
to handle.

Roy

>better worse, the same?

> would say....awful....

BTW,,, what I mean here is using the liquified fat( regardless if its
butter or shortening)

Fritz

On 2005-07-25 14:58:08 -0400, "Vox Humana" > said:

> I find the best results come from a combination of butter and solid
> shortening. This gives a very flavorful crust that flaky, tender, and easy
> to handle.

that's what I've been using. But just a couple tbspns butter per crust.
what have you found is a good ratio?

Vox Humana

"Fritz" > wrote in message
news:2005072621112616807%mtropiclnospam@nospamopto nlinenet...
> On 2005-07-25 14:58:08 -0400, "Vox Humana" > said:
> >
> > I find the best results come from a combination of butter and solid
> > shortening. This gives a very flavorful crust that flaky, tender, and

easy
> > to handle.

> that's what I've been using. But just a couple tbspns butter per crust.
> what have you found is a good ratio?

I like to use 6 oz butter and 2 oz. shortening for 2 cups of flour. If it
is very hot outside, I might use 4 oz butter and 4 oz shortening. The flour
is a blend of 1.5 cups AP and 0.5 cups cake. I use about 1/2 tsp salt (and
2 tablespoons of sugar if it is desert pastry) along with enough water to
make a dough. I use the butter directly from the freezer and make the
pastry in my food processor.

Liquid Sterno [email protected] General Cooking 30 10-12-2016 04:48 PM
Liquid Nutrition Duke General Cooking 2 16-05-2008 05:03 AM
just the liquid [email protected] Sourdough 18 17-04-2008 10:30 AM
Mussels Liquid mary General Cooking 9 07-01-2005 05:36 PM
Crazy Crust Pizza Crust Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2003 07:22 PM