James McDone

Default Need a recipe for a type of bread

My friend is trying to find a bread or too make it herself that doesn't have
any yeast in it (she is allergic to it) and she doesn't like baking powder
or baking soda in it either.

Are there recipes for this kind of bread?

James

graham

"James McDone" > wrote in message
> My friend is trying to find a bread or too make it herself that doesn't
> have
> any yeast in it (she is allergic to it) and she doesn't like baking powder
> or baking soda in it either.
>
> Are there recipes for this kind of bread?
>
> James

Look up matzo and chapatti.

Vox Humana

"James McDone" > wrote in message
> My friend is trying to find a bread or too make it herself that doesn't

have
> any yeast in it (she is allergic to it) and she doesn't like baking powder
> or baking soda in it either.
>
> Are there recipes for this kind of bread?

She must have a rough life since yeast is everywhere in the environment.

RsH

Almost any unleavened bread will do... Matzo come to mind as the
classic of this type of bread :-) Without yeast, baking powder or
baking soda, that is all you will be able to do.

RsH

On Sun, 17 July 2005 15:39:28 -0400, "James McDone"
> wrote:

>My friend is trying to find a bread or too make it herself that doesn't have
>any yeast in it (she is allergic to it) and she doesn't like baking powder
>or baking soda in it either.
>
>Are there recipes for this kind of bread?
>
>James

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
J@mes

sourdough
"James McDone" > wrote in message
> My friend is trying to find a bread or too make it herself that doesn't

have
> any yeast in it (she is allergic to it) and she doesn't like baking powder
> or baking soda in it either.
>
> Are there recipes for this kind of bread?
>
> James

Marcella Peek

Sourdough contains yeast so if she's allergic to commercial yeast
chances are she'd be allergic to the yeast in sourdough as well.

Bread with no yeast, baking soda or baking powder would be called a
brick.

marcella

In article et>,
"J@mes" > wrote:

> sourdough
> "James McDone" > wrote in message
> > My friend is trying to find a bread or too make it herself that doesn't

> have
> > any yeast in it (she is allergic to it) and she doesn't like baking powder
> > or baking soda in it either.
> >
> > Are there recipes for this kind of bread?
> >
> > James

Mike Avery

Marcella Peek wrote:

>Sourdough contains yeast so if she's allergic to commercial yeast
>chances are she'd be allergic to the yeast in sourdough as well.

Many people who can not tolerate commercial bakers yeast can tolerate
sourdough. Commercial bakers yeast can't tolerate the acidity of a
sourdough culture.

However, there are a number of caveats here.

1. Much of what is sold under the name of sourdough is not sourdough at
all, its a yeast bread with a handful of chemicals added to give it a
fakey sour taste that is nothing like real sourdough... and would cause
problems for people with yeast sensitivities.

2. Some people (such as Rita Davenport in her book on Sourdough
Cookery) make starters with, and revive starters with commercial bakers
yeast. Further some people add bakers yeast to the dough to help it
rise a bit better. These sorts of sourdough would also cause problems.

3. Even if the sourdough is a real sourdough, that is no promise that
someone with a yeast sensitivity could tolerate it, though many can. As
I often say on my web page, you only get one body, so take care of it.
Don't try something like this until you have checked with your health
care professional.

Mike

Jens Richter

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:39:28 -0400, James McDone wrote:

> My friend is trying to find a bread or too make it herself that doesn't have
> any yeast in it [...]

I tested recently a "white bread with Quark" and it's delicious:

Mix and kneed:
750g of strong bread flour
3 tsp of baking powder
250g of Quark
2 TSP of sugar
2 tsp of salt
2 eggs
3 TSP of sunflower oil

Form a round leaf.

Preheat the oven (250°C), spray 5 shots of cold water into it (eg. flower
spray bottle): bake 15 minutes 250°C, then 35 minutes 200°C.

Jens
Jens Richter

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:22:51 +0100, Jens Richter wrote:

> Form a round leaf.

^^^^^^^

Arrgh, stupid typo "loaf" of course. Sorry.

Jens