FoodBanter.com

-   -   Streusel question (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/65242-streusel-question.html)

Ceil Wallace 15-07-2005 01:00 AM

Streusel question

When I make streusel using butter, flour, sugar (brown or white) and
cinnamon it never comes out like the streusel I get on cakes and buns from
the bakery. Mine gets a bit crisp while the bakery streusel is nice and
soft and is formed in little round clumps rather than loose and granular
like mine. Is there a specific technique or what am I doing wrong?

Roy 15-07-2005 01:36 AM

Can you show us your recipe?

Wayne Boatwright 15-07-2005 02:14 AM

On Thu 14 Jul 2005 05:00:46p, Ceil Wallace wrote in rec.food.baking:

When I make streusel using butter, flour, sugar (brown or white) and
cinnamon it never comes out like the streusel I get on cakes and buns
from the bakery. Mine gets a bit crisp while the bakery streusel is
nice and soft and is formed in little round clumps rather than loose and
granular like mine. Is there a specific technique or what am I doing
wrong?

The bakery is probably using vegetable shortening which gives a less crisp
texture than butter. They may also be using less sugar.

You also need to learn when to stop cutting the fat into the flour/sugar
mixture. It is at this stage when the size and shape of the crumbs/clumps
are formed. Too much cutting in can result in a texture more like sand.

What ratio of flour, sugar, butter are you using?

I use 2:2:1, but I do use butter because I don't mind a certain amount
crispness. I stop cutting in the butter when the particles are no smaller
than large peas with some that are larger. There will always be some
small crumbs.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-4, 07/14/2005
Tested on: 7/14/2005 6:10:01 PM

Jens Richter 15-07-2005 04:26 PM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:00:46 +0000, Ceil Wallace wrote:

When I make streusel using butter, flour, sugar (brown or white) and
cinnamon it never comes out like the streusel I get on cakes and buns from
the bakery. Mine gets a bit crisp while the bakery streusel is nice and
soft and is formed in little round clumps rather than loose and granular
like mine. Is there a specific technique or what am I doing wrong?

For my "Streuselkuchen" (baked on a sheet) I take 400g flour, 250g
butter or margarine, 200g sugar 2 tsp of vanilla sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
I mix all together with an electric mixer till the streusel is like
granular. Then I take a hand full and press the streusel a bit. Then you
can cut away clumps and put them onto your cake.

Jens

--
http://www.jensgermancakes.org.uk

Ceil Wallace 25-07-2005 08:24 PM

It's the same no matter what recipe I've tried and, besides, they're all
basically the same.

Thanks for the rest of you for suggesting leaving the clumps larger, that
and the shortening suggestions worked!

"Roy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can you show us your recipe?

Roy 25-07-2005 08:43 PM

It's the same no matter what recipe I've tried and, besides, they're all
basically the same.

Not really......There are streusels that had higher ratio of sugar and
very little flour and it exhibits the defect you mentioned.

Therefore whenever someone will query me on the same problem I have to
look at their recipe first.and how he did it.
It; si not preferable (IMO)t use giving hints....the proportions and
the method used by the individual baker counts!
I think That is the best way.... to sort such problem.

jake 22-08-2005 04:03 PM

Ceil Wallace wrote:
When I make streusel using butter, flour, sugar (brown or white) and
cinnamon it never comes out like the streusel I get on cakes and buns from
the bakery. Mine gets a bit crisp while the bakery streusel is nice and
soft and is formed in little round clumps rather than loose and granular
like mine. Is there a specific technique or what am I doing wrong?

Have you also tested various temperatures and times for baking? I am
wondering whether having your oven temperature just slightly lower might
help.