.

Default ovens

Greetings,

I'm looking into getting a new oven/stove. Looking at the products
available everyone seems to have a lot of similar things. How do I know
what to look for? What makes an oven a good oven. I like to bake and my
wife will do the occasional baking (pastas or finish off a steak in the
oven).

For example, do I want gas or electric? I had always used gas growing up.
Now I use electric. Not sure if I notice the difference but I think
electric works better. Is this why I see a lot of dual source units, i.e.
the stove is gas and the oven is electric?

I've been looking at Amana, Fridgedaire (sp?), Kitchen Aid and LG. Any
other recommendations? I'm partial to a slide in unit as the back of the
counter will be open to the dining room.

On one TV show, they tested serveral different stoves. They decided
that the best stove had an electric convection oven and gas cooking
burners.

My first convection oven was small and had a small opening on the side
and near the front of the oven for the fan to blow in the heat. It
cooked the food on the top before the bottom cooked. I replaced this
with a larger unit that has a larger opening in the center of the back
for the blowing in of the heat. It works much better. I like it.

Gas used to have a reputation of being more consistant than electric.
(maintaining the set temp) and heated faster.

Electric has improved a lot in recent years.

Fan forced convection ovens have their uses in providing an even heat,
so avoiding the 'bake for 10 min then turn pans for the next 10 etc BUT
some convection ovens do a bad job with some baking.

Best option in my opinion is a gas oven with normal / convection modes.

J@mes

To me... It depends upon how much money you make, and where you live.
Using the stove top, say in the south... (I'm from Houston Texas) where the
summers are Loooong and HOT!, I always had an eletric oven, the simple
fact is an electric oven takes the energy straight from the source to the
pan... whereas a gas stove takes the fire and heats the pan and the air
around the pan and eventually the whole house... Airconditioning cools the
house "at best" 20° flower than the external ambient temperature... so.if
it's 100° outside it will be 80° at best inside. If you cook on gas,
imediately the inside of your house starts to warm up... substantually...
thus turning on that compressor... thus making that little old disk in your
meter go spinning around at an alarming rate.

> I'm looking into getting a new oven/stove. Looking at the products
> available everyone seems to have a lot of similar things. How do I know
> what to look for? What makes an oven a good oven. I like to bake and my
> wife will do the occasional baking (pastas or finish off a steak in the
> oven).
>
> For example, do I want gas or electric? I had always used gas growing up.
> Now I use electric. Not sure if I notice the difference but I think
> electric works better. Is this why I see a lot of dual source units, i.e.
> the stove is gas and the oven is electric?
>
> I've been looking at Amana, Fridgedaire (sp?), Kitchen Aid and LG. Any
> other recommendations? I'm partial to a slide in unit as the back of the
> counter will be open to the dining room.
>
> --
> Send e-mail to: darrell dot grainger at utoronto dot ca

Are all French ovens Dutch ovens? Karen[_3_] General Cooking 13 25-03-2007 04:06 PM
Ovens Adam Cooking Equipment 2 16-08-2006 08:49 AM
Ovens Adam General Cooking 10 16-08-2006 02:18 AM
Convection Ovens / Fan Ovens??? Wayne Boatwright Cooking Equipment 8 03-02-2005 12:26 PM
Electric ovens take longer than gas ovens Nancree General Cooking 4 25-12-2003 01:12 PM