steveblack

Default Bread Pudding

I was a schoolboy in London in the fifties. Everyone's mother (except mine)
used to make a "bread pudding" which was a favourite snack for English
schooboys. It was very solid, sweet, and had a lot of raisins. It was eaten,
cold, by hand and usually came in chunks about
2 inches cubed. I think that Suet was another ingredient. All the recipes I
can find for bread pudding require a spoon. Though now approaching my
dotage, I am desperate to taste this treat once more. Anyone have a recipe?
Thank you.
Steve Black

MOMPEAGRAM

"steveblack" > wrote in message
>I was a schoolboy in London in the fifties. Everyone's mother (except mine)
> used to make a "bread pudding" which was a favourite snack for English
> schooboys. It was very solid, sweet, and had a lot of raisins. It was
> eaten,
> cold, by hand and usually came in chunks about
> 2 inches cubed. I think that Suet was another ingredient. All the recipes
> can find for bread pudding require a spoon. Though now approaching my
> dotage, I am desperate to taste this treat once more. Anyone have a
> recipe?
> Thank you.
> Steve Black

Most recipes call for a spoon because in most places, it's eaten hot. But
if you allow a bread pudding to cool or chill it can be sliced and eaten the
way you suggest.

Suet has never been an ingredient in any bread pudding I've made. It isn't
healthy for one reason. It would be a very old recipe with suet in it.

I will post a bunch of bread puddings.

bumblebee4451

Possibly in poorer places or maybe in England where suet is used in
puddings it might be used instead of butter. My family is from
Scotland originally and some recipes call for suet as a fat. We now
use butter or margarine. I agree with the notion that bread pudding is
solid when cold. Make a bread pudding and put it in the fridge and I
think you will have what you want. My family always made it with
whisky or brandy sauce.

Edvardo

I think that the name for it might be "Spotted Dick"? My da flew with the
RAF for a while in the early 40's, being a colonial he wasn't familiar with
a lot of the names for favorite treats, but this one struck it off with him
right away. Mum would make it periodically as a treat while I was growing
up - miss them and it both a lot now. Here's a version of it that I found
that sounds like it has the right ingredients - we usually had it with
custard.

Cheers,

Ed

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.x [from The Grocery Consumer]

Title: Spotted Dick
Categories: desserts, English
Yield: 6 servings

8 oz self-raising flour
1 pn of salt
4 oz margarine
2 oz castor sugar (superfine)
4 oz to 6 oz sultanas (big
-raisins)
6 tb water

1) Have ready a sheet of foil or a double thickness of grease proof
paper brushed with melted margarine. 2) Make the pudding crust: Sieve
the flour and the salt. Rub in the margarine. Add the sugar and
sultanas. Mix in the water to make a soft dough. 3) Turn out onto a
floured board and form into a roll. 4) Wrap loosely but securely in
the grease proof paper or foil. Tie or seal the ends. 5) Place in the
steamer and cover tightly. Steam for 1.1/2 to 2 hours. 6) Serve with
hot custard sauce or sprinkle with castor sugar. Variation: At stage
3: Put the mixture in a medium-sized (1.1/2 pint) pudding basin with
a round of grease proof paper in the bottom and brush all round
inside with melted margarine. Smooth the top. Cover with foil, or
double grease proof paper brushed underneath with melted margarine
and steam for 1.1/2 to 2 hours. Serve with hot Custard sauce or
sprinkle with castor sugar.

Shared by Sylvia Mease (Cookie Lady)

RECIPE CLIPPED by Joan Johnson
Re-Posted by Annette Johnsen 3-08-95

****and a tip of the hat to the above named ladies****

"steveblack" > wrote in message
>I was a schoolboy in London in the fifties. Everyone's mother (except mine)
> used to make a "bread pudding" which was a favourite snack for English
> schooboys. It was very solid, sweet, and had a lot of raisins. It was
> eaten,
> cold, by hand and usually came in chunks about
> 2 inches cubed.

snippety

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 07 Jul 2005 03:00:10p, Brenda Smith wrote in rec.food.baking:

> This is a recipe I have had for many years from an English mag and it
> has suet in it:
> 1lb stale white bread
> 3oz shredded beef suet
> 6oz currants
> 4oz sultanas
> pinch of nutmeg
> 1 level tsp mixed spice
> 3oz caster sugar
> 1 small egg
> 4tbsp milk
> Cut bread into fairly small pieces. Put into bowl,cover with cold water
> and leave to soak for 40 mins. Squeeze the bread dry and put into a dry
> bowl. Grease a small square meat tin.Stir all dry ingredients into
> bread. Beat in egg and milk.
> Put into prepared tin; smooth top.
> Cook in centre of preheated oven (375deg F. Moderate.) for 2 to 21/2 hrs
> or until top is golden.
> Serve hot or cold, dredged with sugar.
>
> Hope you enjoy it. The shredded suet we get here in NZ is not the same
> as we had back in England but it works.
> Brenda in NZ

I'm glad you posted this, Brenda, even though I'm not the OP. I've also
wanted a recipe like this. I make Bread & Butter Pudding but, as you know,
that's not the same thing.

I have a question about shredded suet that you might be able to answer. I
live in the US and suet, in general, is not readily available. One must
usually order it from a butcher. I do order it and the butcher puts it
through the meat grinder or "mincer". I use it very successfully in mince
pie filling and I've used it in steamed puddings, but I've always wondered
about the texture of real shredded suet. Can you describe it for me?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/6/2005 8:49:32 PM

Trebor

> I'm glad you posted this, Brenda, even though I'm not the OP. I've also
> wanted a recipe like this. I make Bread & Butter Pudding but, as you
> know,
> that's not the same thing.
>
> I have a question about shredded suet that you might be able to answer. I
> live in the US and suet, in general, is not readily available. One must
> usually order it from a butcher. I do order it and the butcher puts it
> through the meat grinder or "mincer". I use it very successfully in mince
> pie filling and I've used it in steamed puddings, but I've always wondered
> about the texture of real shredded suet. Can you describe it for me?
>
> TIA

Here is an image of suet http://tinyurl.com/cno2f they are about the
thickness of the wire connecting a mouse to a PC.

-------
Trebor
-------

MOMPEAGRAM

"Brenda Smith" > wrote in message
> This is a recipe I have had for many years from an English mag and it has
> suet in it:
> 1lb stale white bread
> 3oz shredded beef suet
> 6oz currants
> 4oz sultanas
> pinch of nutmeg
> 1 level tsp mixed spice
> 3oz caster sugar
> 1 small egg
> 4tbsp milk
> Cut bread into fairly small pieces. Put into bowl,cover with cold water
> and leave to soak for 40 mins. Squeeze the bread dry and put into a dry
> bowl.
> Grease a small square meat tin.Stir all dry ingredients into bread.
> Beat in egg and milk.
> Put into prepared tin; smooth top.
> Cook in centre of preheated oven (375deg F. Moderate.) for 2 to 21/2 hrs
> or until top is golden.
> Serve hot or cold, dredged with sugar.
>
> Hope you enjoy it. The shredded suet we get here in NZ is not the same as
> we had back in England but it works.
> Brenda in NZ

Even if I used this recipe, I would substitute vegetable suet.

Helen

MOMPEAGRAM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 07 Jul 2005 03:00:10p, Brenda Smith wrote in rec.food.baking:
>
>> This is a recipe I have had for many years from an English mag and it
>> has suet in it:
>> 1lb stale white bread
>> 3oz shredded beef suet
>> 6oz currants
>> 4oz sultanas
>> pinch of nutmeg
>> 1 level tsp mixed spice
>> 3oz caster sugar
>> 1 small egg
>> 4tbsp milk
>> Cut bread into fairly small pieces. Put into bowl,cover with cold water
>> and leave to soak for 40 mins. Squeeze the bread dry and put into a dry
>> bowl. Grease a small square meat tin.Stir all dry ingredients into
>> bread. Beat in egg and milk.
>> Put into prepared tin; smooth top.
>> Cook in centre of preheated oven (375deg F. Moderate.) for 2 to 21/2 hrs
>> or until top is golden.
>> Serve hot or cold, dredged with sugar.
>>
>> Hope you enjoy it. The shredded suet we get here in NZ is not the same
>> as we had back in England but it works.
>> Brenda in NZ

> I'm glad you posted this, Brenda, even though I'm not the OP. I've also
> wanted a recipe like this. I make Bread & Butter Pudding but, as you
> know,
> that's not the same thing.
>
> I have a question about shredded suet that you might be able to answer. I
> live in the US and suet, in general, is not readily available. One must
> usually order it from a butcher. I do order it and the butcher puts it
> through the meat grinder or "mincer". I use it very successfully in mince
> pie filling and I've used it in steamed puddings, but I've always wondered
> about the texture of real shredded suet. Can you describe it for me?

Hi Wayne; I can get suet in Canada and it is very finely powdered.

Helen

Wayne Boatwright

Yes, that does help. Thanks, Brenda.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
Tested on: 7/7/2005 8:50:57 AM

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 07 Jul 2005 03:55:46a, Trebor wrote in rec.food.baking:

>> I'm glad you posted this, Brenda, even though I'm not the OP. I've
>> also wanted a recipe like this. I make Bread & Butter Pudding but, as
>> you know, that's not the same thing.
>>
>> I have a question about shredded suet that you might be able to answer.
>> I live in the US and suet, in general, is not readily available. One
>> must usually order it from a butcher. I do order it and the butcher
>> puts it through the meat grinder or "mincer". I use it very
>> successfully in mince pie filling and I've used it in steamed puddings,
>> but I've always wondered about the texture of real shredded suet. Can
>> you describe it for me?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Here is an image of suet http://tinyurl.com/cno2f they are about the
> thickness of the wire connecting a mouse to a PC.
>
> -------
> Trebor
> -------

Thanks! That looks almost exactly like the suet as it comes out of the
meat grinder from my butcher.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
Tested on: 7/7/2005 8:52:05 AM

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 07 Jul 2005 05:27:25a, MOMPEAGRAM wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 07 Jul 2005 03:00:10p, Brenda Smith wrote in rec.food.baking:
>>
>>> This is a recipe I have had for many years from an English mag and it
>>> has suet in it:
>>> 1lb stale white bread
>>> 3oz shredded beef suet
>>> 6oz currants
>>> 4oz sultanas
>>> pinch of nutmeg
>>> 1 level tsp mixed spice
>>> 3oz caster sugar
>>> 1 small egg
>>> 4tbsp milk
>>> Cut bread into fairly small pieces. Put into bowl,cover with cold
>>> water and leave to soak for 40 mins. Squeeze the bread dry and put
>>> into a dry bowl. Grease a small square meat tin.Stir all dry
>>> ingredients into bread. Beat in egg and milk.
>>> Put into prepared tin; smooth top.
>>> Cook in centre of preheated oven (375deg F. Moderate.) for 2 to 21/2
>>> hrs or until top is golden.
>>> Serve hot or cold, dredged with sugar.
>>>
>>> Hope you enjoy it. The shredded suet we get here in NZ is not the same
>>> as we had back in England but it works.
>>> Brenda in NZ

>> I'm glad you posted this, Brenda, even though I'm not the OP. I've
>> also wanted a recipe like this. I make Bread & Butter Pudding but, as
>> you know, that's not the same thing.
>>
>> I have a question about shredded suet that you might be able to answer.
>> I live in the US and suet, in general, is not readily available. One
>> must usually order it from a butcher. I do order it and the butcher
>> puts it through the meat grinder or "mincer". I use it very
>> successfully in mince pie filling and I've used it in steamed puddings,
>> but I've always wondered about the texture of real shredded suet. Can
>> you describe it for me?
>>

> Hi Wayne; I can get suet in Canada and it is very finely powdered.
>
> Helen

Oh, not at all like what my butcher provides. The picture Trebor provided
looks closer to what I get. Thanks, Helen.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
Tested on: 7/7/2005 8:53:13 AM

MOMPEAGRAM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 07 Jul 2005 05:27:25a, MOMPEAGRAM wrote in rec.food.baking:

>>> I'm glad you posted this, Brenda, even though I'm not the OP. I've
>>> also wanted a recipe like this. I make Bread & Butter Pudding but, as
>>> you know, that's not the same thing.
>>>
>>> I have a question about shredded suet that you might be able to answer.
>>> I live in the US and suet, in general, is not readily available. One
>>> must usually order it from a butcher. I do order it and the butcher
>>> puts it through the meat grinder or "mincer". I use it very
>>> successfully in mince pie filling and I've used it in steamed puddings,
>>> but I've always wondered about the texture of real shredded suet. Can
>>> you describe it for me?
>>>

>> Hi Wayne; I can get suet in Canada and it is very finely powdered.
>>
>> Helen

> Oh, not at all like what my butcher provides. The picture Trebor provided
> looks closer to what I get. Thanks, Helen.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
> Tested on: 7/7/2005 8:53:13 AM

I don't get mine from a butcher but in the stupidmarket in the frozen meats
section.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 07 Jul 2005 09:49:24a, MOMPEAGRAM wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> Hi Wayne; I can get suet in Canada and it is very finely powdered.
>>>
>>> Helen

>> Oh, not at all like what my butcher provides. The picture Trebor
>> provided looks closer to what I get. Thanks, Helen.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
>> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
>> Tested on: 7/7/2005 8:53:13 AM
>>

> I don't get mine from a butcher but in the stupidmarket in the frozen
> meats section.

LOL! Our stupidmarkets don't carry it. I've asked around. In fact, in
one market they asked me what it was!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
Tested on: 7/7/2005 11:24:33 AM

Dave Bell

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > I don't get mine from a butcher but in the stupidmarket in the frozen
> > meats section.

> LOL! Our stupidmarkets don't carry it. I've asked around. In fact, in
> one market they asked me what it was!
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

.... and when you explained, they looked blank and said, "Why?"

Dave

MOMPEAGRAM

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
rea.net...
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> > I don't get mine from a butcher but in the stupidmarket in the frozen
>> > meats section.

>> LOL! Our stupidmarkets don't carry it. I've asked around. In fact, in
>> one market they asked me what it was!
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> ... and when you explained, they looked blank and said, "Why?"
>
> Dave

And now, I can purchase a vegetable substitute for beef suet called
vegetable suet. I imagine it's similar to shortening and lard.

Helen

graham

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
news:1120770409.fe73d8ce1309642fd45f17a53a696467@t eranews...

> "Dave Bell" > wrote in message
> rea.net...

>>> LOL! Our stupidmarkets don't carry it. I've asked around. In fact, in
>>> one market they asked me what it was!
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright

>> ... and when you explained, they looked blank and said, "Why?"
>>
>> Dave

> And now, I can purchase a vegetable substitute for beef suet called
> vegetable suet. I imagine it's similar to shortening and lard.

I can't imagine what it's like:-) Why bother with the vege one? It's bound
to be at least as unhealthy as the real thing!
Graham

Brenda Smith

This is a recipe I have had for many years from an English mag and it has
suet in it:
1lb stale white bread
3oz shredded beef suet
6oz currants
4oz sultanas
pinch of nutmeg
1 level tsp mixed spice
3oz caster sugar
1 small egg
4tbsp milk
Cut bread into fairly small pieces. Put into bowl,cover with cold water and
leave to soak for 40 mins. Squeeze the bread dry and put into a dry bowl.
Grease a small square meat tin.Stir all dry ingredients into bread.
Beat in egg and milk.
Put into prepared tin; smooth top.
Cook in centre of preheated oven (375deg F. Moderate.) for 2 to 21/2 hrs or
until top is golden.
Serve hot or cold, dredged with sugar.

Hope you enjoy it. The shredded suet we get here in NZ is not the same as we
had back in England but it works.
Brenda in NZ

"steveblack" > wrote in message
>I was a schoolboy in London in the fifties. Everyone's mother (except mine)
> used to make a "bread pudding" which was a favourite snack for English
> schooboys. It was very solid, sweet, and had a lot of raisins. It was
> eaten,
> cold, by hand and usually came in chunks about
> 2 inches cubed. I think that Suet was another ingredient. All the recipes
> can find for bread pudding require a spoon. Though now approaching my
> dotage, I am desperate to taste this treat once more. Anyone have a
> recipe?
> Thank you.
> Steve Black

MOMPEAGRAM

"graham" > wrote in message

> "MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
> news:1120770409.fe73d8ce1309642fd45f17a53a696467@t eranews...
>>
>> "Dave Bell" > wrote in message
>> rea.net...

>>> ... and when you explained, they looked blank and said, "Why?"
>>>
>>> Dave

>> And now, I can purchase a vegetable substitute for beef suet called
>> vegetable suet. I imagine it's similar to shortening and lard.
>>

> I can't imagine what it's like:-) Why bother with the vege one? It's
> bound to be at least as unhealthy as the real thing!
> Graham

When I come to think about it, you're probably right!

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 07 Jul 2005 02:06:47p, MOMPEAGRAM wrote in rec.food.baking:

> "Dave Bell" > wrote in message
> rea.net...

>>> LOL! Our stupidmarkets don't carry it. I've asked around. In fact,
>>> in one market they asked me what it was!
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright

>> ... and when you explained, they looked blank and said, "Why?"
>>
>> Dave

> And now, I can purchase a vegetable substitute for beef suet called
> vegetable suet. I imagine it's similar to shortening and lard.
>
> Helen

But it probably has a different texture than shortening or lard.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
Tested on: 7/7/2005 6:19:45 PM

Brenda Smith