FoodBanter.com

-   -   need bread mixer, small institutional size (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/63162-need-bread-mixer-small.html)

[email protected] 19-06-2005 11:14 PM

need bread mixer, small institutional size

My 20-year-old bread mixer has just died and I need advice on how to
find a replacement. Mfr. no longer exists. It is a 20 qt. pot with
motor clamped on top & dough mixer blade, split phase motor, 1/8 hp. It
mixes 10-12 loaves at a time. All I find in a search are for prof.
bakeries, and home use ones are too small. I'm open to other options.
Thanks, Jan

Kenneth 20-06-2005 01:43 AM

On 19 Jun 2005 15:14:54 -0700, wrote:

>My 20-year-old bread mixer has just died and I need advice on how to
>find a replacement. Mfr. no longer exists. It is a 20 qt. pot with
>motor clamped on top & dough mixer blade, split phase motor, 1/8 hp. It
>mixes 10-12 loaves at a time. All I find in a search are for prof.
>bakeries, and home use ones are too small. I'm open to other options.
>Thanks, Jan

Howdy,

Depending on what broke, it might be possible to get it
repaired even though the manufacturer is no longer
available.

What went wrong...?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Roy 20-06-2005 06:48 AM

>My 20-year-old bread mixer has just died and I need advice on how to
>find a replacement. Mfr. no longer exists. It is a 20 qt. pot with
>motor clamped on top & dough mixer blade, split phase motor, 1/8 hp. It
>mixes 10-12 loaves at a time. All I find in a search are for prof.
>bakeries, and home use ones are too small. I'm open to other options

First you let go your sentimentalism.....Your old mixer is gone...
Repairing an old and extinct mixer may cost you a lot of money that
can be better invested on a new equipment.
..Sell it to the junk shop or bury in your yard.....Put a fittting
epitaph.....<g>
Now
You are looking for a 20 quart size mixer than is suited for
breadmaking?....There are many second hand mixers as well as brand new
ones of that genre......you just have to look for it. in bakery trade
journals ...etc., classified adds .for bakery equipments...
You may have to procure a different machine with a better performance
than your "dead" one.
Say a different mixing mechanism.... not specifically a planetary type
as that is not the best for bread making; rather such as a spiral
mixer, reciprocating Artofex type, .fork type French mixer , Z--blade
mixer etc.....even the magic mill if they have the size capacity that
you desire.. take your pick.....
Roy

LDR 20-06-2005 04:08 PM

In article >,
says...
wrote:

> >My 20-year-old bread mixer has just died and I need advice on how to
> >find a replacement. Mfr. no longer exists. It is a 20 qt. pot with
> >motor clamped on top & dough mixer blade, split phase motor, 1/8 hp. It
> >mixes 10-12 loaves at a time. All I find in a search are for prof.
> >bakeries, and home use ones are too small. I'm open to other options.
> >Thanks, Jan

>snip

The smallest Hobart might work for you. There are many used ones around
and servicing should not be a problem. If machine footprint really
matters, there are a few quasi-industrial machines. Mine is the Swedish
Magic Mill which does 10 cups of flour without even getting noticeably
warm. (Caveat: stay away from the KItchenAid anything.)

[email protected] 20-06-2005 08:34 PM

Kenneth wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2005 15:14:54 -0700, wrote:
>
> >My 20-year-old bread mixer has just died and I need advice on how to
> >find a replacement. Mfr. no longer exists. It is a 20 qt. pot with
> >motor clamped on top & dough mixer blade, split phase motor, 1/8 hp. It
> >mixes 10-12 loaves at a time. All I find in a search are for prof.
> >bakeries, and home use ones are too small. I'm open to other options.
> >Thanks, Jan

> Howdy,
>
> Depending on what broke, it might be possible to get it
> repaired even though the manufacturer is no longer
> available.
>
> What went wrong...?
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Repair is unlikely, although I'm checking. A gear has broken on the
shaft connecting the motor to the dough hook, so the shaft rotates and
pops out. Mfr. was Country Engineering in Wisconsin and they've been
gone for years. Cost 20+ years ago was $264 as it had demo'ed at
Organic Gardening kitchens. Probably made 2500-3000 loaves mostly for
family use.

Thanks, Jan

[email protected] 20-06-2005 08:43 PM

wrote:

> > >My 20-year-old bread mixer has just died and I need advice on how to
> > >find a replacement. Mfr. no longer exists. It is a 20 qt. pot with
> > >motor clamped on top & dough mixer blade, split phase motor, 1/8 hp. It
> > >mixes 10-12 loaves at a time. All I find in a search are for prof.
> > >bakeries, and home use ones are too small. I'm open to other options.
> > >Thanks, Jan

> >snip

> The smallest Hobart might work for you. There are many used ones around
> and servicing should not be a problem. If machine footprint really
> matters, there are a few quasi-industrial machines. Mine is the Swedish
> Magic Mill which does 10 cups of flour without even getting noticeably
> warm. (Caveat: stay away from the KItchenAid anything.)

LDR,

I saw a Hobart but it was too big; I'll try again. Footprint's not a
problem; it will live on a heavy rolling cart and does all its work
without being moved. Most of my breads call for 8-10 lbs. of flour.
And I know I need more than KA for what I ask of it: 2500-3000 loaves
of bread in 20+ years, most for family use.

Jan

[email protected] 20-06-2005 09:02 PM

Roy wrote:
> >My 20-year-old bread mixer has just died and I need advice on how to
> >find a replacement. Mfr. no longer exists. It is a 20 qt. pot with
> >motor clamped on top & dough mixer blade, split phase motor, 1/8 hp. It
> >mixes 10-12 loaves at a time. All I find in a search are for prof.
> >bakeries, and home use ones are too small. I'm open to other options

> First you let go your sentimentalism.....Your old mixer is gone...
> Repairing an old and extinct mixer may cost you a lot of money that
> can be better invested on a new equipment.
> .Sell it to the junk shop or bury in your yard.....Put a fittting
> epitaph.....<g>
> Now
> You are looking for a 20 quart size mixer than is suited for
> breadmaking?....There are many second hand mixers as well as brand new
> ones of that genre......you just have to look for it. in bakery trade
> journals ...etc., classified adds .for bakery equipments...
> You may have to procure a different machine with a better performance
> than your "dead" one.
> Say a different mixing mechanism.... not specifically a planetary type
> as that is not the best for bread making; rather such as a spiral
> mixer, reciprocating Artofex type, .fork type French mixer , Z--blade
> mixer etc.....even the magic mill if they have the size capacity that
> you desire.. take your pick.....
> Roy

Roy, I agree that in this case repair is unlikely. A welding repair was
done about 10 years ago, but w/co. out of business for years, enough is
enough.

Secondhand's fine. And I don't object to something totally different,
as long as the size is appropriate, results are the same, and cost is
moderate. Thanks for the suggestions--I'll re-search.

Jan

Kenneth 21-06-2005 12:25 AM

On 20 Jun 2005 12:43:41 -0700, wrote:

>LDR wrote:
>> In article >,

says...
wrote:

>> >snip

>> The smallest Hobart might work for you. There are many used ones around
>> and servicing should not be a problem. If machine footprint really
>> matters, there are a few quasi-industrial machines. Mine is the Swedish
>> Magic Mill which does 10 cups of flour without even getting noticeably
>> warm. (Caveat: stay away from the KItchenAid anything.)

>LDR,
>
>I saw a Hobart but it was too big; I'll try again. Footprint's not a
>problem; it will live on a heavy rolling cart and does all its work
>without being moved. Most of my breads call for 8-10 lbs. of flour.
>And I know I need more than KA for what I ask of it: 2500-3000 loaves
>of bread in 20+ years, most for family use.
>
>Jan

Hi Jan,

Hobarts are made in sizes from 5 quarts up to hundreds of
quarts...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Kenneth 21-06-2005 12:27 AM

wrote:

>> >My 20-year-old bread mixer has just died and I need advice on how to
>> >find a replacement. Mfr. no longer exists. It is a 20 qt. pot with
>> >motor clamped on top & dough mixer blade, split phase motor, 1/8 hp. It
>> >mixes 10-12 loaves at a time. All I find in a search are for prof.
>> >bakeries, and home use ones are too small. I'm open to other options.
>> >Thanks, Jan

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Depending on what broke, it might be possible to get it
>> repaired even though the manufacturer is no longer
>> available.
>>
>> What went wrong...?
>>
>> All the best,
>> --
>> Kenneth
>>
>> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

>Repair is unlikely, although I'm checking. A gear has broken on the
>shaft connecting the motor to the dough hook, so the shaft rotates and
>pops out. Mfr. was Country Engineering in Wisconsin and they've been
>gone for years. Cost 20+ years ago was $264 as it had demo'ed at
>Organic Gardening kitchens. Probably made 2500-3000 loaves mostly for
>family use.
>
>Thanks, Jan

Hi again Jan,

It is most unlikely that the broken gear was unique to that
mixer. With your description of the problem I would suggest
that a repair is even more likely.

Good luck with it,
--
Kenneth

[email protected] 21-06-2005 01:40 AM

wrote:

> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> Depending on what broke, it might be possible to get it
> >> repaired even though the manufacturer is no longer
> >> available.
> >>
> >> What went wrong...?
> >>
> >> All the best,
> >> --
> >> Kenneth
> >>
> >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

> >Repair is unlikely, although I'm checking. A gear has broken on the
> >shaft connecting the motor to the dough hook, so the shaft rotates and
> >pops out. Mfr. was Country Engineering in Wisconsin and they've been
> >gone for years. Cost 20+ years ago was $264 as it had demo'ed at
> >Organic Gardening kitchens. Probably made 2500-3000 loaves mostly for
> >family use.
> >
> >Thanks, Jan

> Hi again Jan,
>
> It is most unlikely that the broken gear was unique to that
> mixer. With your description of the problem I would suggest
> that a repair is even more likely.
>
> Good luck with it,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Since your original mixer was a 20 qt you should stay with that size.

That leaves out most of the heavy duty kitchen mixers that I know of.
Most at 5 qt or less.

A Hobart mixer with paddle and dough hook may meet your requirements
but tend to be expensive even secondhand.

Thunderbird do a very similar mixer at about $1600 new.

Try
www.bakeryequipment.com. The site needs Internet explorer for the
menus to work properly.

You could also try ebay.

A repair seems like an option if you can find someone handy to size the
gear. If it needs to be made for you forget it.

Ida Slapter 21-06-2005 12:12 PM

On 20 Jun 2005 17:40:58 -0700, wrote:

>Since your original mixer was a 20 qt you should stay with that size.
>
>That leaves out most of the heavy duty kitchen mixers that I know of.
>Most at 5 qt or less.

There are a dozen or more on eBay

http://search.ebay.com/20-quart-mixe...jsZ1QQfromZR40

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

[email protected] 13-03-2015 02:08 AM

On Sunday, June 19, 2005 at 4:14:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> My 20-year-old bread mixer has just died and I need advice on how to
> find a replacement. Mfr. no longer exists. It is a 20 qt. pot with
> motor clamped on top & dough mixer blade, split phase motor, 1/8 hp. It
> mixes 10-12 loaves at a time. All I find in a search are for prof.
> bakeries, and home use ones are too small. I'm open to other options.
> Thanks, Jan

I doubt it's still relevant, but I'm the son of the owner of Country Engineering, and while the company is long out of business, I'd be happy to see if I could find the original source for the parts you need. If nothing else, I'd love to actually own one of the mixers my dad made, as I was 10 years old when the rising price of the motors and pots drove him out of business.

Jeff

--
This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and
may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the

Jeff Naujok 13-03-2015 04:44 AM

need bread mixer, small institutional size

replying to J.Bittner , Jeff Naujok wrote:
Too bad I never saw this at the time.

I am the son of the owner of Country Engineering. Although I'm not sure if I
could help out much, I could probably have found you the parts you needed, or
at least found out where my dad had sourced them from.

In case anyone else ever hits this discussion, hopefully I'll get pinged, and
offer what help I can.

Jeff