Cadie

Default Yeast

Back with another question that obviously shows I know nothing...

About how much yeast is in a package? The recipes I have say use 1 or
2 packages of yeast, but I dont' recall an actual measurment. I don't
have prepackaged yeast, I have a jar/bottle thign of it in my fridge.
Yes, I already know to let it get to room temp before using it, but
not sure how much would consist of a package.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Cadie

Vox Humana

"Cadie" > wrote in message
> Back with another question that obviously shows I know nothing...
>
> About how much yeast is in a package? The recipes I have say use 1 or
> 2 packages of yeast, but I dont' recall an actual measurment. I don't
> have prepackaged yeast, I have a jar/bottle thign of it in my fridge.
> Yes, I already know to let it get to room temp before using it, but
> not sure how much would consist of a package.

One package = 2 1/4 teaspoons I generally just use a scant tablespoon as
the measurement isn't that critical. Also, I don't bother to warm the
yeast. I keep my bulk yeast in the refrigerator and use it directly from
there without any warming. Since I use instant yeast, it just goes in the
bowl with the other dry ingredients.

Cadie

Thanks for the answer. Now, I just need to muster up the courage to
bake some bread... and the time :-)

Cadie

Vox Humana

"Cadie" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the answer. Now, I just need to muster up the courage to
> bake some bread... and the time :-)

You can make the bread fit your schedule. You don't have to have an
uninterrupted stretch of time to go from start to finish. The ingredients
for making bread are so inexpensive that you don't have to approach it with
trepidation. The worst that can happen is that you throw away 75 cents
worth of ingredients.

Dan Cordes

Cadie, never show fear infront of the dough. :-) As Fr. Dominic would say
"It's bread. it'll forgive you!" Good words to live by!
Good luck on the baking and don't give up too easily.

Dan