fenellawella

Default Decorating a cake with sugarpaste

I am having difficulty covering cakes with rolled sugarpaste. The
icing sticks to my work surface but the more icing sugar I use for
dusting (I have also tried cornflower), the more my icing dries out and
starts to crack. Basically, it's too sticky and too dry all at the
same time and I'm stumped!!

I am using a quick sugarpaste recipe.

Any suggestions / tips will be very very gratefully received.

Many thanks

fenellawella wrote:
> I am having difficulty covering cakes with rolled sugarpaste. The
> icing sticks to my work surface but the more icing sugar I use for
> dusting (I have also tried cornflower), the more my icing dries out and
> starts to crack. Basically, it's too sticky and too dry all at the
> same time and I'm stumped!!
>
> I am using a quick sugarpaste recipe.
>
> Any suggestions / tips will be very very gratefully received.
>
> Many thanks

As you have found adding sugar to prevent sticking will change your
icing if you work it in.

I work on waxed paper in a kitchen with a temp of about 70 degrees.
High humidity will also create a problem since the sugar paste will
absorb water quickly.

You may want to refrigerate your icing for a short time after mixing.

Vox Humana

"fenellawella" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am having difficulty covering cakes with rolled sugarpaste. The
> icing sticks to my work surface but the more icing sugar I use for
> dusting (I have also tried cornflower), the more my icing dries out and
> starts to crack. Basically, it's too sticky and too dry all at the
> same time and I'm stumped!!
>
> I am using a quick sugarpaste recipe.
>
> Any suggestions / tips will be very very gratefully received.

I posted a recipe from the Cake Bible for rolled fondant that always works
well for me. You can do a google groups search of this group, using my
address as author and/or "rolled fondant" for key words. If you can't find
it, let me know.

I think the fondant (sugar paste) actually handles better if you let it rest
over night. You can try dusting with corn starch or a mixture of corn
starch and confectioner's sugar. Make sure you move the fondant after
rolling over it to help prevent it from sticking to the work surface. I
don't have luck refrigerating it as it is too hard to roll when very cold.
In fact, if it is too cold or too stiff, I put it in the microwave for a few
seconds to make it more pliable.

My guess is that your basic recipe is faulty. In a pinch, you can always
buy commercially produced fondant. It always handles beautifully.

fenellawella

Many thanks for the tips. Wish me luck!

fenellawella

Thank you very much - I'll try a different recipe and many thanks for
the tips. Fingers crossed!

I work a small amount of white shortening into my sugarpaste which
gives it some added elasticity. If you use cornstarch when you roll it
out, it will definitely dry out more than if you use powdered sugar.
High humidity may make it harder to work with. You should always put
your sugarpaste, either home made or commercial, in a plastic bag and
then into a sealed container to prevent drying out. I like 2
commercial sugarpastes - Petinice and Satin ice. They both work real
well.
Oleta

"." wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 wrote:
>
> > fenellawella wrote:
> > > I am having difficulty covering cakes with rolled sugarpaste. The
> > > icing sticks to my work surface but the more icing sugar I use for
> > > dusting (I have also tried cornflower), the more my icing dries out and
> > > starts to crack. Basically, it's too sticky and too dry all at the
> > > same time and I'm stumped!!

> > As you have found adding sugar to prevent sticking will change your
> > icing if you work it in.
> >
> > I work on waxed paper in a kitchen with a temp of about 70 degrees.
> > High humidity will also create a problem since the sugar paste will
> > absorb water quickly.
> >
> > You may want to refrigerate your icing for a short time after mixing.

> Would you have to put the icing in a sealed container? I would imagine the
> moisture in the fridge would have adverse affects on the sugar.
>
> --
> Send e-mail to: darrell dot grainger at utoronto dot ca

Cake Decorating Videos wes General Cooking 0 10-07-2007 01:04 AM
Cake decorating Xise Baking 1 04-06-2007 04:56 PM
cake decorating Teri General Cooking 2 27-07-2005 08:13 PM
Cake decorating books? Michael General Cooking 0 28-12-2004 01:00 AM
Cake decorating tips Nic General Cooking 3 09-05-2004 11:13 PM