dohlund

Default Corian for pastry work surface?

Any experiences about Corian for a pastry work surface?

How does it compare to marble or granite?

Comments, or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Roy

Synthetic Polymer derived surface is not heat resistant and can chip
easily. Marble is more expensive, granite is less costly.
>From casual assesment, I will try as much as I can to avoid from

synthetic surfaces for cookery baking purposes.
They will never be my preference.
I have made pastry with many types of table top surfaces such as
making hand laminated croissants, pie crust, danish, puff pastries.etc
I donot like these 'artificial' surfaces although they are smooth but
they feel warm and tends to melt the butter faster if compared to
marble and granite( which are cooler) making it slightly difficult to
make such bakery products straight by hand .
But for general dough making they are both the same., but I prefer the
stone surface for dough rounding and molding.
Meanwhile for chocolate work, I will never play around with synthetics
but would go straight for natural stone based surfaces. Often I placed
a marble slab/granite slab on top of those polymer surfaces whenever I
temper chocolate by hand.
Conclusively,
Marble and granite (in my experience) are equally rated for such
purpose will always be my preference in pastry /chocolate/bakery based
preparations.
Roy

Kenneth

On 8 Jun 2005 12:05:44 -0700, "Roy" >
wrote:

>'artificial' surfaces although they are smooth but
>they feel warm and tends to melt the butter faster if compared to
>marble and granite( which are cooler)

Hi Roy,

You have mastered biochemistry, but how about physics? <g>

It seems to me that all objects in my kitchen that are
exposed to the air will soon be at the same temperature.

Some feel cooler, but that is because they conduct heat
better than do other things, and my hands are warmer than
the objects in the kitchen.

If the synthetic materials feel "warmer" that is because
they conduct heat less well than do such surfaces as steel,
or granite.

That would seem to make the synthetics better with regard to
the melting of (refrigerated) butter.

No?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On 8 Jun 2005 15:23:39 -0700, "Roy" >
wrote:

>>If the synthetic materials feel "warmer" that is because
>>they conduct heat less well than do such surfaces as steel,
>>or granite.

>>That would seem to make the synthetics better with regard to
>>the melting of (refrigerated) butter.

>Hello Kenneth,
>I think its not about conduction but a force of habit<g> honed by years
>of experience and the apparent 'ease' working on those natural surfaces
>Besides stone is not a good conductor of heat either if compared to
>metals.(stainless steel.).Stones act more like a heat sink and tends to
>retain the prevailing ambient temperature than wood, and synthetics.
> A lot of well experienced pastry chef sand bakers prefer the
>marble or granite surface for making their stuff as it is easier to
>manipulate pastry dough , temper chocolate by tablering method,
>etc..BTW, Chocolate which is heat sensitive is best handled in such
>stone surfaces.
>Besides they seldom work on such surfaces making those temperature
>sensitive things with high ambient temperature at the time of such
>preparations.
>
> So do I,.....I worked with croissant, danish, puff, pastries( by hand)
>when the room temperature is around or less than 25 degree C.
>I had experienced working in the wood , formica and other supposed heat
>insulating surfaces but will prefer the natural stone surface as I find
>it easier to do my work in those areas.
>One thing also if I make caramel type confectionery decorations for
>plated desserts Blown and pulled sugar pieces,etc.I can put the hot
>copper pot on top of it without worrying the surface will warp..Unlike
>synthetics which are not usually stable to such.
>Roy

Hi Roy,

Much as was the case when we discussed ascorbic acid, clouds
of smoke are coming from my screen. <vbg>

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Roy

Hmnn ....Maybe its more of a nitrous oxide propelled smoke<g>.
Roy

Thomas H. O'Reilly

I've never tempered chocolate on marble, but I do know that marble is
awfully porous, have you ever had any problems with marble counters
darkening and staining? I'm interested in this for future reference, when I
design my own kitchen as opposed to just live with it. Thanks, T

"Roy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hmnn ....Maybe its more of a nitrous oxide propelled smoke<g>.
> Roy

Roy

>I've never tempered chocolate on marble, but I do know that marble is
>awfully porous, have you ever had any problems with marble counters
>darkening and staining? I'm interested in this for future reference, when I
>design my own kitchen as opposed to just live with it. Thanks, T

In one establishment I worked previously they had marble lined table
for 20 years , yes it not as white as the decorative ones more like
dark colored due maybe due to long use, but it never seems to be a
problem. Regarding staining the colors being used in the patisserie
work are what we call water soluble and occasionally they use lakes but
so far I cannot find any significant stain on the slab that is worthy
of concern.Marble after long use, it seems to appear that the pores
are sealed IMO.
Regarding chocolate temperings and other chocolate work the porosity
of the marble is not a concern.
In the past I poured bucketfull of melted chocolate of varying kinds(
dark,white, milk, compound) and worked with a palette knife and flat
scraper spreading and collecting the mass until its thickened then
it into a tub with a third to a quarter of the melted chocolate in it.
The process is repeated until the desired kind of temper is attained
for application to various chocolate confections,plated desserts,.
assembling showpieces etc.
.. Whatever residues is just scrubbed off with a palette knife and paint
scraper.Various others colored things are spilled on the marble surface
but it is easily cleaned off.
Besides many marble surface I saw is not using the perfectly white ones
but more darker colored,so its difficult to tell if the marble was
initially bright colored but darkened with age; or just plainly darker
colored at the start.
Roy.

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 08 Jun 2005 08:38:59p, Thomas H. O'Reilly wrote in rec.food.baking:

> I've never tempered chocolate on marble, but I do know that marble is
> awfully porous, have you ever had any problems with marble counters
> darkening and staining? I'm interested in this for future reference,
> when I design my own kitchen as opposed to just live with it. Thanks, T

Most candy shops that make fudge use a marble slab to cool and work it. I've
never noticed any staining. Marble and granite have cooling qualities that
are lacking in Corian.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

The marble or granite slab is less of a conductor than materials like
Corian which could be considered a plastic.

If you place a bag of ice on a marble slab prior to working pastry it
will stay colder for a longer time than the Corian.

I have never worked directly on a countertop due to the problems
cleaning it and use a large slab mounted on a rolling table.

If needed it is taken outside and pressure washed or given a light
grinding with an abrasive polishing paste.

Many stone countertops are sealed to close up any pores and protect
from staining. I believe these sealers need to be approved for food
contact in the USA.

.

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Kenneth wrote:

> On 8 Jun 2005 12:05:44 -0700, "Roy" >
> wrote:
>
> >'artificial' surfaces although they are smooth but
> >they feel warm and tends to melt the butter faster if compared to
> >marble and granite( which are cooler)

> Hi Roy,
>
> You have mastered biochemistry, but how about physics? <g>
>
> It seems to me that all objects in my kitchen that are
> exposed to the air will soon be at the same temperature.
>
> Some feel cooler, but that is because they conduct heat
> better than do other things, and my hands are warmer than
> the objects in the kitchen.
>
> If the synthetic materials feel "warmer" that is because
> they conduct heat less well than do such surfaces as steel,
> or granite.
>
> That would seem to make the synthetics better with regard to
> the melting of (refrigerated) butter.
>
> No?

I don't know if Roy's reasoning is correct but my experience has been that
marble and granite are better than synthetic boards. I have occasionally
had to work with chocolate. My experience has been that working the
chocolate on my granite is better than any synthetic board I have used.

I don't know why but what Roy says matches my experience. The original
question was about how Corian compares to marble or granite.

I've been reading this newsgroup for a while. I value Roy's experience.
His reasoning might be off but the end result is correct.

> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

P.S. to the person who was asking about the porous nature of marble and
granite. Natural marble and granite are porous and will stain (not as bad
as concrete) but most marble and granite (counter tops or boards) found in
a kitchen are sealed to prevent staining.

Ida Slapter

On 9 Jun 2005 20:53:26 GMT, (".") wrote:

>P.S. to the person who was asking about the porous nature of marble and
>granite. Natural marble and granite are porous and will stain (not as bad
>as concrete) but most marble and granite (counter tops or boards) found in
>a kitchen are sealed to prevent staining.

Go with quartz.....nothing needs to be done with it!

http://www.zodiaq.com/zodiaq/a/en/h/Colors/index.html

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Mike Avery

Kenneth wrote:

>Much as was the case when we discussed ascorbic acid, clouds
>of smoke are coming from my screen. <vbg>

This time I have to agree with Roy. Every pastry chef I've known
prefers natural stone. It feels cooler, perhaps because it retains the
cool of the evening.

When I was in high school, we had an old building that had thick walls
and marble floors. Long before schools in Dallas were air conditioned,
that building stayed cool all day long, even in the summer.

Mike

J@mes

I think that it has to do with the relative thickness. you can take a
blowtorch to a washer and it'll be really hot, but within minutes it'll cool
down, But run your car down to the store and back and the block will be hot
for hours

.

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Ida Slapter wrote:

> On 9 Jun 2005 20:53:26 GMT, (".") wrote:
>
> >P.S. to the person who was asking about the porous nature of marble and
> >granite. Natural marble and granite are porous and will stain (not as bad
> >as concrete) but most marble and granite (counter tops or boards) found in
> >a kitchen are sealed to prevent staining.

> Go with quartz.....nothing needs to be done with it!

http://www.zodiaq.com/zodiaq/a/en/h/Colors/index.html

Actually, Zodiaq, like Corian, is another product from Dupont. It is
MOSTLY quartz. I'm not so sure that you can apply the claims from the
Dupont site to quartz in general.

Additionally, there is nothing about Zodiaq that indicates it is any
different from Corian, at least when it comes to using it for baking.

Roy

Zodiac is just quarz embedded polymer which had similar expected
weakness of other plastics if exposed to heat.
Defnitely,,,, still crappy in camparison to the natural stone surface
like granite in terms of durability ,heat resistancea and "heat sink"
properties.
Roy