Maddie

Default Odd question

Hi,

I searched the web *and* Google Groups archives for the answer, but no
luck. Maybe I used the wrong search terms :-/

Does anyone here know why you put fork marks in peanut butter cookies?

TIA

Truth is generally the best vindication against slander. (Abraham Lincoln)
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 03 Jun 2005 09:57:43p, Maddie wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Hi,
>
> I searched the web *and* Google Groups archives for the answer, but no
> luck. Maybe I used the wrong search terms :-/
>
> Does anyone here know why you put fork marks in peanut butter cookies?
>
> TIA

I don't know when peanut butter cookies originated, but I suspect early 20th
century. Given that, I believe the idea of using fork marks to flatten down
a small ball of dough has an earlier history. In our family recipes there is
a cookie recipe handwritten by my great grandmother in 1894 for a German
spice cookie. The recipe has the same instructions.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Rusty

You got my curiosity up so I did a search for myself. Lo and behold on
http://www.foodreference.com/html/fcookiesorigin.html; I found the answer.

Most recipes for peanut butter cookies call the the dough to be mixed with a
fork, and made into balls that are then flattened with the fork.
My guess is that the practice just evolved from the nature of the dough, and
that the easiest way to make the cookies was to roll the dough into balls
and flatten the balls with the fork, leaving fork marks. The criss-cross
would follow because it is a little creative and artistic.
Also, consider that peanut allergies are fairly common, and the distinctive
markings make peanut butter cookies easily identifiable, giving further
reason for the tradition to be continued.

Rusty

"Maddie" > wrote in message
news

> Hi,
>
> I searched the web *and* Google Groups archives for the answer, but no
> luck. Maybe I used the wrong search terms :-/
>
> Does anyone here know why you put fork marks in peanut butter cookies?
>
> TIA
>

> Truth is generally the best vindication against slander. (Abraham Lincoln)

Jenn Ridley

Maddie > wrote:
>I searched the web *and* Google Groups archives for the answer, but no
>luck. Maybe I used the wrong search terms :-/
>
>Does anyone here know why you put fork marks in peanut butter cookies?

To flatten them so they bake more evenly. Some older recipes call for
flattening with the bottom of a cup or glass.

--
Jenn Ridley :
Marcella Peek

In article >,
Maddie > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I searched the web *and* Google Groups archives for the answer, but no
> luck. Maybe I used the wrong search terms :-/
>
> Does anyone here know why you put fork marks in peanut butter cookies?
>
> TIA
>

> Truth is generally the best vindication against slander. (Abraham Lincoln)

Hmmmm....I have no idea.

I actually skip this step. They flatten out fine and taste the same.

marcella
lazy

Ida Slapter

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:39:42 -0400, Jenn Ridley
> wrote:

>To flatten them so they bake more evenly. Some older recipes call for
>flattening with the bottom of a cup or glass.

I do mine with a jelly jar dipped in sugar.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Roy

Just for simple decoration, I suppose.....

Maddie

Thanks to Wayne Boatwright, Rusty, Jenn Ridley, Ida Slapter, Marcella
Peek, and Roy for your input!

The explanation that made the most sense to me was using the fork to
flatten the balls of cookie dough before baking...and then that
evolved into a way to mark peanut butter cookies from others in case
people had peanut allergies.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer my strange
question =)

Best regards!

--

Where is there dignity unless there is honesty? (Cicero)

A practical matter is that with some peanut butter recipes the dough is
very sticky.

A fork used to press the dough can be removed with a sliding motion
without needing extra flour or oil to keep it from sticking.

Try flattening peanut butter cookies with the bottom of a glass and be
prepared to scrape dough every time.

regards

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 05 Jun 2005 05:20:08p, wrote in rec.food.baking:

> A practical matter is that with some peanut butter recipes the dough is
> very sticky.
>
> A fork used to press the dough can be removed with a sliding motion
> without needing extra flour or oil to keep it from sticking.
>
> Try flattening peanut butter cookies with the bottom of a glass and be
> prepared to scrape dough every time.
>
> regards

Yes, you right. I did find another way that I tried a couple of times,
which was to roll the ball of dough in granulated sugar and then flatten
with the bottom of a glass. It worked fine, but they just didn't seem like
peanut butter cookies. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 05 Jun 2005 12:36:01p, Maddie wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Thanks to Wayne Boatwright, Rusty, Jenn Ridley, Ida Slapter, Marcella
> Peek, and Roy for your input!
>
> The explanation that made the most sense to me was using the fork to
> flatten the balls of cookie dough before baking...and then that
> evolved into a way to mark peanut butter cookies from others in case
> people had peanut allergies.
>
> I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer my strange
> question =)
>
> Best regards!

Not an odd question at all, Maddie.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Sagoon3141

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:57:43 -0400, Maddie
> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I searched the web *and* Google Groups archives for the answer, but no
>luck. Maybe I used the wrong search terms :-/
>
>Does anyone here know why you put fork marks in peanut butter cookies?
>
>TIA
>

>Truth is generally the best vindication against slander. (Abraham Lincoln)

Because my momma did it that way.

Edvardo

Good enough reason for me...

Ed