maureeng7eh

Default Brining

Thanks so very much for the information on brining chicken.

I will try it the next time i make chicken...by the way, is the procedure
the same for whole/cut up chickens as it is for frozen chicken breasts?

M.

Vox Humana

"maureeng7eh" > wrote in message
> Thanks so very much for the information on brining chicken.
>
> I will try it the next time i make chicken...by the way, is the procedure
> the same for whole/cut up chickens as it is for frozen chicken breasts?

Yes. The only thing that changes is the amount of brine or the size of the
container. When I do a turkey, I use a 5 gallon bucket that I reserve for
that purpose. For pieces or a small bird or a pork loin, I generally just
use a gallon bag. If you use a bag, make sure you put it in another
container to prevent a disaster in the refrigerator should it leak!

You can season the brine if you want. Some people put the salt, sugar and
seasonings into a pan with part of the water. You heat the water to
dissolve the crystals and relapse the flavor and then combine that with the
remainder of the cold water. You can use onion, garlic, peppercorns, fresh
herbs, etc. You can also replace the water with other liquids. Apple cider
is a good choice for pork loin.

For smaller pieces, I would recommend limiting the brining to a few hours,
while a large turkey can be left for 24 hours. There will be plenty of salt
in the meat, so rinse well and don't add any more salt when cooking.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

maureeng7eh wrote on 02 Jun 2005 in rec.food.baking

> Thanks so very much for the information on brining chicken.
>
> I will try it the next time i make chicken...by the way, is the
> procedure the same for whole/cut up chickens as it is for frozen
> chicken breasts?
>
> M.

Well first off the chicken must be Un-frozen usually.

Next the amount of salt used in the brine determines the length of time
the poultry needs to sit in the brine. More salty less time in brine.

The procedure works well with any type poultry or pork.

Being a whole bird or parts of a bird make no difference, same with
pork.

What I do is: Take the chicken parts I intend to eat for dinner
tomorrow night outa the freezer and defrost them over night sitting in
a brine. Take them outa the brine pat them dry and let them sit about a
hour (back in the fridge) to allow equalization of brine thru the bird
or parts. Do the seasoning and then cook them. I like to bake my
chicken in a hot oven around 400F, seems to be quicker and the chicken
stays more moist, but that could be just me. Same routine if I use the
rotisserie, except I put thin slices of lime under the skin.

Mostly when baking/rosting chicken, I use whole brined smallish
chickens and I butterfly it. And cook it skin side up in a convection
oven at 400 to 425F.

I up the salt to 1/2 cup in the following recipe because I don't brine
as long as suggested. (more like 18 hours for me...a guess).

All notes are the oridginator's and not mine.

* Exported from MasterCook *

The Fat Man's Chicken Kickin' Brine(TM)

Recipe By :The Fat Man®
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : brines/rubs/marinades

2 quarts water
1/3 cup pickling salt (I use Kosher)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground sage
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (I omit this)
3/4 teaspoon Dave's Insanity Sauce -- optional
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning

Some folks want to heat the brine to dissolve the salt and sugar
faster. I use a wand or stick blender and mix it cold. In either case,
make sure the brine is COLD before dunking the birds. Keep it well
under 40º for the duration of the soaking.

33º works just fine for me if the birds are completely thawed.

This brine was originally developed for turkeys. It's outstanding in
that application by itself. I like to inject them with a 50/50 mix of
honey + butter just before putting them in the smoke.
The injection makes for a "no-leftovers" bird.

The brine is equally suited for use on chickens with only one
modification;
lessen the sage content.

I soak turkeys a minimum of three days prior to smoking and chickens a
minimum of 2 with a maximum of three days.

Source:
"alt.food.barbecue"
Yield:
"1/2 gallon"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

NOTES : This is something I came up with after a little fiddling around
with standard brines. Everyone seems to love it, but feel free to
modify it
to suit your own particular tastes.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 215 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
FREECYCLEMOM

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> maureeng7eh wrote on 02 Jun 2005 in rec.food.baking
> The Fat Man's Chicken Kickin' Brine(TM)
>
> 3/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (I omit this)

I would omit this too. I detest the taste of Old Bay. But then, I'm
Canadian eh?

I find the seasonings like Old Bay and similar flavours taste musty to
me and that's why I don't purchase anything pre-cooked in the south.
I bought some crawfish once and they were a waste of money because I
couldn't "taste" any crawfish, just the seasoning.

Helen

More about dry brining Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 22-11-2012 12:26 AM
BRINING No Name General Cooking 22 11-05-2010 12:20 AM
Brining Tranch749 Barbecue 5 04-07-2004 01:34 PM
Brining, Wow!!! Richard's ~JA~ General Cooking 23 31-03-2004 01:10 PM
Brining Aria Barbecue 2 14-10-2003 06:45 PM