RsH

Default rec.food.baking

Many years ago, before the Internet took off, the universities that
were the main users of the usenet set up a set of standard groups.
rec. was one, alt was another, biz was set up for business use, edu
for use by universities, comp and sci are others. Alt is actually the
only one that is a free for all, with anyone being allowed to start a
usenet group in alt while all the others technically need to be
approved by whomever controls that grouping, be it rec or comp or sci,
etc. From the point of view of the universities that set this up,
baking would be recreational... except for those few universities that
have a hotel management or cooking degree available. That does not,
however, mean that the users of the group have to BE recreational
bakers. I am, but others are not... Anyway, that is how the group
likely was created in and stays in rec...

RsH

On Mon, 23 May 2005 01:58:00 GMT, "jimmyjames"
> wrote:

>I'm assuming that "rec.food.baking" stands for Recreational Food Baking... I
>don't really understand the consept of the name. It occurs to me that a
>good number of the "regulars" are really serious bakers. I guess that what
>I'm trying to figure out is where the recreation in "rec.food.baking" comes
>in. I noticed a while back that someone wrote in something about something
>other than baking... and was flamed for doing so....
>Anyway I'm wondering if there is a FAQ or whatever available.
>jms

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!

What's happened to rec.food.baking? Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 2 22-01-2010 01:18 AM
Rec-Food-Baking-cooking mom peagram Baking 2 24-03-2009 04:08 PM
food baking [email protected] Baking 0 20-11-2008 07:28 PM
rec.food.baking (meta) Jenn Ridley Baking 10 05-06-2005 03:03 AM
FAQ for rec.food.baking? A.T. Hagan Baking 2 03-11-2003 11:18 PM