york

Default Cake Programs?

Does anyone know of a cake design software program. I would like to be
able to design 3D modles of my cake designs. Please help.

john york
Reg

york wrote:

> Does anyone know of a cake design software program. I would like to be
> able to design 3D modles of my cake designs. Please help.

I've done it with a program called 3D Studio Max. It's a general
purpose 3d modeling program though, it has no special functionality
for modeling cakes.

The basic geometry is very simple to do. Decorations are a bit
more work. Producing a complex cake with full texture and shading
would take a substantial amount of effort.

Maybe someone will write a 3DS Max cake plugin for us all. It's
not a bad idea actually.

york

Reg > wrote in message m>...
> york wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a cake design software program. I would like to be
> > able to design 3D modles of my cake designs. Please help.

> I've done it with a program called 3D Studio Max. It's a general
> purpose 3d modeling program though, it has no special functionality
> for modeling cakes.
>
> The basic geometry is very simple to do. Decorations are a bit
> more work. Producing a complex cake with full texture and shading
> would take a substantial amount of effort.
>
> Maybe someone will write a 3DS Max cake plugin for us all. It's
> not a bad idea actually.

that would be awesome. i find it very hard to believe that it hasn't
been done yet. with all of us decorators out there you would think
that somebody would have given this some serious thought by now.

john york
Vox Humana

"york" > wrote in message
om...
> Reg > wrote in message

m>...
> > york wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know of a cake design software program. I would like to be
> > > able to design 3D modles of my cake designs. Please help.

> > I've done it with a program called 3D Studio Max. It's a general
> > purpose 3d modeling program though, it has no special functionality
> > for modeling cakes.
> >
> > The basic geometry is very simple to do. Decorations are a bit
> > more work. Producing a complex cake with full texture and shading
> > would take a substantial amount of effort.
> >
> > Maybe someone will write a 3DS Max cake plugin for us all. It's
> > not a bad idea actually.

> that would be awesome. i find it very hard to believe that it hasn't
> been done yet. with all of us decorators out there you would think
> that somebody would have given this some serious thought by now.

What would REALLY be awesome is to be able to design the cake using CAD
software and then download the design to a computer operated decorating
machine.

Reg

Vox Humana wrote:

> What would REALLY be awesome is to be able to design the cake using CAD
> software and then download the design to a computer operated decorating
> machine.

The decorating machine would be quite a challenge. Maybe our
grandchildren will see it happen. The design software is doable
though.

I originally tried modeling a cake for visualization on a project
where my "mind's eye" needed some help. It was useful, but it was
a lot of work. Not worth it for anything but really high dollar
projects.

A dedicated cake design program has a lot of potential uses,
and I hope one gets developed. How great would it be to be able
to whip one up for a client, and rotate it on a screen right in front of
them? That would help close some deals. It could also do things like
calculate the amount of cake or filling required, produce scaled
recipes to fit, dynamically figure unit costs, etc.