Sarah Rusli

Default Doughy waffle

Does anyone know how to make quick breads like waffle more doughy and chewy?
Thank you

Vox Humana

"Sarah Rusli" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to make quick breads like waffle more doughy and

chewy?
> Thank you

Chewy = more gluten. Use a high gluten flour and/or mix longer. You can
reduce the sugar and add the fat later in the mixing process.

Doughy = under-baked to me.

Eric Jorgensen

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:00:28 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Sarah Rusli" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone know how to make quick breads like waffle more doughy
> > and

> chewy?
> > Thank you
> >

> Chewy = more gluten. Use a high gluten flour and/or mix longer. You
> can reduce the sugar and add the fat later in the mixing process.
>
> Doughy = under-baked to me.

The real question is "why does somebody want to make leather
waffles?"

It sounds like the sort of question somebody asks when they want to
know something else.

Either that or i can't conceive of it, not after putting so much
effort into getting them light and fluffy on the inside and slightly
crispy on the outside.

Maybe she wants to make naan or something?

Sarah Rusli

Am actually trying to make Belgian waffle. The one that I bought off the
street of Brussels tasted very moist and doughy unlike American waffles
which are generally thin and crispy. I found out from the internet that
whole wheat flour is used to make these waffles, however I have difficulty
finding whole wheat flour here in Australia. I wonder is whole wheat is the
same as whole meal flour?

On 13/6/04 0:11, in article 20040612081111.258f2818@wafer, "Eric Jorgensen"
> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:00:28 GMT
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>

>> "Sarah Rusli" > wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know how to make quick breads like waffle more doughy
>>> and

>> chewy?
>>> Thank you
>>>

>> Chewy = more gluten. Use a high gluten flour and/or mix longer. You
>> can reduce the sugar and add the fat later in the mixing process.
>>
>> Doughy = under-baked to me.

> The real question is "why does somebody want to make leather
> waffles?"
>
> It sounds like the sort of question somebody asks when they want to
> know something else.
>
> Either that or i can't conceive of it, not after putting so much
> effort into getting them light and fluffy on the inside and slightly
> crispy on the outside.
>
> Maybe she wants to make naan or something?

Vox Humana

"Sarah Rusli" > wrote in message
> Am actually trying to make Belgian waffle. The one that I bought off the
> street of Brussels tasted very moist and doughy unlike American waffles
> which are generally thin and crispy. I found out from the internet that
> whole wheat flour is used to make these waffles, however I have difficulty
> finding whole wheat flour here in Australia. I wonder is whole wheat is

the
> same as whole meal flour?

I think it is all in the equipment. Belgian waffles are much thicker than
breakfast waffles. Therefore, the inside will be less done and the outside
will be exposed tot he iron for a longer time. The whole wheat flour is
lower in gluten and therefore should be less chewy. I'm sure that they
aren't made with 100% whole wheat because if they were, they would have the
weight and texture of sandbags.

Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 00:22:40 +1000
Sarah Rusli > wrote:

> Am actually trying to make Belgian waffle. The one that I bought off
> the street of Brussels tasted very moist and doughy unlike American
> waffles which are generally thin and crispy. I found out from the
> internet that whole wheat flour is used to make these waffles, however
> I have difficulty finding whole wheat flour here in Australia. I
> wonder is whole wheat is the same as whole meal flour?

Yes, I believe it's just a different term for the same thing.

A whole grain flour is going to include wheat germ, which is a bit on
the gummy side, and may add the sort of heavy texture you're looking
for.

Waffle terminology confusion ultimately turned me off of using the
term"belgian" - I have no idea what it's supposed to mean anymore.

My waffles are no more substantial than a pancake, but that's because
it's the way i prefer it, and because i use a modified pancake batter
recipe.

Pretty sure the waffle iron box said "Belgian" on it, but, like i
said . . .

jacqui{JB}

[posted and emailed]
"Sarah Rusli" > wrote in message

> Am actually trying to make Belgian waffle. The one
> that I bought off the street of Brussels tasted very
> moist and doughy unlike American waffles which
> are generally thin and crispy. I found out from the
> internet that whole wheat flour is used to make these
> waffles, however I have difficulty finding whole wheat
> flour here in Australia. I wonder is whole wheat is the
> same as whole meal flour?

No wonder you're having trouble! Belgian waffles are yeast-based,
rather than a "quick" dough or batter made with baking soda or powder.
Here's a site which explains quite a bit and has several recipes:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/2830/bbwaff.html

While the author doesn't specify, you'll want to use fresh yeast (from
your dairy case), rather than dry, for these recipes; that's what's
more readily available in Belgium.

Good luck!
-j

Waffle Bike is a fully weaponized waffle making device complete with call to prayer public address system. modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 3 21-09-2009 09:06 PM
Doughy pumpernickel Jan Fure Sourdough 2 07-01-2006 05:22 AM
Liege Waffle: Carmelization and Teflon-coated Waffle Maker [email protected] General Cooking 0 19-02-2005 08:19 PM
Doughy waffle Sarah Rusli Baking 0 12-06-2004 02:11 PM
Doughy waffle Sarah Rusli Baking 0 12-06-2004 02:10 PM