Default mexican vanilla

Just received 2 8oz. bottles of POSA brand mexican vanilla.Label says no
coumadin.

Has anyone had any experience with this item? I'm a little leary of food
products manufactured in Mexico.

Alkem

Vox Humana

"Maniack" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:53:34 -0400, wrote:
>
> >Just received 2 8oz. bottles of POSA brand mexican vanilla.Label says no
> >coumadin.
> >
> >Has anyone had any experience with this item? I'm a little leary of food
> >products manufactured in Mexico.
> >
> >Alkem

> I buy Mexican vanilla all of the time. In fact, it is the only vanilla
> I use except when I need bean for a recipe. In the first place vanilla
> came from Mexico and then spread around the world. It is not the other
> way around as some may want you to believe. Mexican vanilla is the
> best tasting in my opinion. I used to own a bakery back in Missouri
> and I would never have used any other type of vanilla. Why are you so
> scared of things from Mexico anyway?

I didn't get the idea that the OP had some phobia about Mexican goods in
general. There is some reason to be cautious about vanilla from Mexico.
Furthermore, I don't think that people have the same level of confidence in
Mexico's equivalent (or lack of) of the FDA.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/011207.html

Vanilla fragrans, as genuine vanilla is known, is native to Mexico, and well
into the 19th century makers of high-quality Mexican vanilla had a lock on
the business. But competitors elsewhere in the world began stealing market
share, and in the 1880s the first synthetic vanilla was developed in
Germany. During the Mexican Revolution of 1910-'20 fighting devastated the
gulf coast, the center of Mexican vanilla cultivation, and production
dropped sharply. Faced with a flood of cheap ersatz product and little of
the genuine article to sell, Mexican producers began making synthetic
vanilla themselves. But Mexico was still known as the home of the world's
best vanilla, so the producers didn't admit what they were doing. They
disguised the artificial taste by adding coumarin, an extract of the tonka
bean, Dipteryx odorata. Coumarin tastes and smells just like vanilla, only
more so. One whiff and your rube tourist from Utah is likely to say, "Whoa,
that's good!" No, that's bad. Coumarin has been shown to cause liver damage
in lab animals. The Food and Drug Administration restricted it starting in
1940 and banned it outright from all foods and food additives sold in the
U.S. in 1954. Many other countries have done likewise.

Coumarin has its uses. A derivative called dicumarol is used as an
anticoagulant (blood thinner). Under the trade name warfarin it's used to
poison rats by causing internal bleeding. The 1983 article in FDA Consumer
I'm getting this from says "there has been no indication that coumarin
itself produces this blood-thinning effect in humans." I'm not so sure.
Another FDA Consumer article about the dangers of herbal tea told of a young
woman who drank large amounts of a home-brew tea containing coumarin and
suffered abnormal menstrual bleeding. So yes, I'd say toxic. On the plus
side, it's very reasonably priced. You can get a quart for only a few bucks.

Most of the vanilla sold in Mexico is synthetic, though it doesn't all have
coumarin in it. Telltale signs of the fake stuff: clear, or dark and murky
(the real stuff is amber colored and translucent), low alcohol content
(genuine vanilla extract contains at least 35% ethyl alcohol), laughably low
price. Pure Mexican vanilla is available, but you're better off getting it
in this country. Warning: it won't be cheap.

you believe everything a label claims? I don't. Look up some of the FDA
actions against food companies.

sanitatio-sanitation--sanitation

Jerry

I use a great alternative that saves $$$ too. I buy bulk vanilla beans
from The Atlantic Spice Company [ http://www.atlanticspice.com/ ]
where you can get a pretty good deal if willing to buy in quantity (a
1/4 lb is about $58 + S&H, and contains 25-30 beans)
..
You can make your own extract with about 4 beans to an 8 oz. cup of 80
proof vodka in an airtight glass container. Let it work for 3 months
and flip the jar over back & forth a few times a week. Slit the beans
open lengthwise with a good quality knife before immersing. I make
about 3 cups at a time and give some away as gifts to worthy people
who appreciate the difference.

The end result is FAR superior to the extract you buy retail.

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:53:34 -0400, wrote:

>Just received 2 8oz. bottles of POSA brand mexican vanilla.Label says no
>coumadin.
>
>Has anyone had any experience with this item? I'm a little leary of food
>products manufactured in Mexico.
>
>Alkem

Vox Humana

"Maniack" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:17:49 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Maniack" > wrote in message
> .. .

no

food

> >> I buy Mexican vanilla all of the time. In fact, it is the only vanilla
> >> I use except when I need bean for a recipe. In the first place vanilla
> >> came from Mexico and then spread around the world. It is not the other
> >> way around as some may want you to believe. Mexican vanilla is the
> >> best tasting in my opinion. I used to own a bakery back in Missouri
> >> and I would never have used any other type of vanilla. Why are you so
> >> scared of things from Mexico anyway?

> >I didn't get the idea that the OP had some phobia about Mexican goods in
> >general. There is some reason to be cautious about vanilla from Mexico.
> >Furthermore, I don't think that people have the same level of confidence

in
> >Mexico's equivalent (or lack of) of the FDA.

> It is propaganda by our media and government. I buy my drugs down
> there also and have never had any type of problem, except that I am
> paying the outrageous prices that our government wants people to pay.

Buy you are probably buying American made drugs in a Mexican pharmacy.

Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:46:22 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> > It is propaganda by our media and government. I buy my drugs down
> > there also and have never had any type of problem, except that I am
> > paying the outrageous prices that our government wants people to
> > pay.
> > >

> Buy you are probably buying American made drugs in a Mexican pharmacy.

American and spanish, largely. The spanish versions are made to EU
specifications, which are at least as strict as the FDA.
Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:45:05 GMT
Maniack > wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 19:28:30 -0600, Eric Jorgensen >
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:02:42 -0400
> wrote:
> >
> >> you believe everything a label claims? I don't. Look up some of the
> >> FDA actions against food companies.

> > And, things are different in mexico.
> >
> > May i bring up the recent discovery that some mexican candy
> > makers
> >have been printing their labels with lead paint for years?

> Go ahead and believe everything that is reported in the U.S. There are
> problems but companies in this country also cause problems. The
> biggest problems are illegals from Mexico.

I was going to say something snarky, but ultimately i realized that
it's wrong to toy with the *ahem* otherly-abled.
Vox Humana

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:46:22 GMT
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>

> > > It is propaganda by our media and government. I buy my drugs down
> > > there also and have never had any type of problem, except that I am
> > > paying the outrageous prices that our government wants people to
> > > pay.
> > > >

> > Buy you are probably buying American made drugs in a Mexican pharmacy.

> American and spanish, largely. The spanish versions are made to EU
> specifications, which are at least as strict as the FDA.

No doubt. But I do think that Mexican standards are more suspect and that
is why the OP asked about using a Mexican made product, particularly since
the product in question was made with a toxic substance at one time.

Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:30:27 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message

> > > Buy you are probably buying American made drugs in a Mexican
> > > pharmacy.

> > American and spanish, largely. The spanish versions are made to
> > EU
> > specifications, which are at least as strict as the FDA.

> No doubt. But I do think that Mexican standards are more suspect and
> that is why the OP asked about using a Mexican made product,
> particularly since the product in question was made with a toxic
> substance at one time.

I think it has something to do with living in a third world country.

My friend says that when he agreed to build a glass factory down
there, he told them he was going to need an office on the factory floor.
So, since he was designing everything, he drew up plans. When the guy
delivered the lumber, it looked too *big. and had these really keen
edges. Took him 20 minutes to realize that he'd specified 2" x 4"
timbers, and somebody had taken some logs and milled them to his precise
specifications. Which was really weird, because in lumber, an inch isn't
really an inch. But how were they supposed to know that.

It's not a matter of whether they're smart or not, they're just in an
entirely different situation where they have some big problems to worry
about, like whether they'll get enough to eat, and maybe they don't
have the opportunity for education. I hear you can buy penicillin
capsules in the pharmacies like they were throat lozenges or something -
an attractive box in a display next to the cash register. Probably not a
good idea from the perspective of the problems you can get into with
resistant bacteria, but, well, things are different down there.

Miguel de Icaza is proof enough that mexicans can be plenty smart,
with the right opportunities. I've met him, he's far more intelligent
than i am.

Vox Humana

"Maniack" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:46:22 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Maniack" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> .. .

says
> >no

> >food

vanilla

vanilla

other

so

in

Mexico.

confidence
> >in
> >>
> >> It is propaganda by our media and government. I buy my drugs down
> >> there also and have never had any type of problem, except that I am
> >> paying the outrageous prices that our government wants people to pay.
> >> >

> >Buy you are probably buying American made drugs in a Mexican pharmacy.
> >

> Actually no, not all of them. Some are but most aren't. Don't presume
> you know this for a fact because you will find that it isn't the case
> most of the time.

Had I known it for a fact, I wouldn't have used the word "probably."

Vox Humana

"Maniack" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:30:27 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message

pharmacy.

> >> American and spanish, largely. The spanish versions are made to EU
> >> specifications, which are at least as strict as the FDA.

> >No doubt. But I do think that Mexican standards are more suspect and

that
> >is why the OP asked about using a Mexican made product, particularly

since
> >the product in question was made with a toxic substance at one time.
> >

> Propaganda works so well. You are proof of it. I see you think our
> drug companies are so much better but of course they are constantly
> being sued for crap that they do or don't do that killed many
> different people. Don't get that nose of yours too high in the air
> because if you and people like you had your way most normal people
> would not be able to afford the drugs in this country. Oh yeah, that
> is already the fact.

I wonder why Mexico is a third world country since, in your opinion, they
are so much better than us?

Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:30:27 GMT
Maniack > wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:30:03 -0600, Eric Jorgensen >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:45:05 GMT
> >Maniack > wrote:

> >the> >> FDA actions against food companies.

> >> Go ahead and believe everything that is reported in the U.S. There

> >are> problems but companies in this country also cause problems. The
> >> biggest problems are illegals from Mexico.

> > I was going to say something snarky, but ultimately i realized
> > that
> >it's wrong to toy with the *ahem* otherly-abled.

> You are the one who believes the idiot propaganda that the government
> hoists upon the country. That is not anyone's fault but your own. I
> always listen and take it as a factor and check things out on my own.
> That is what intelligent people do. And I know about thousands of
> people going to Mexico to get medical and dental care and it is
> cheaper and done very well. You want to pay the outrageous costs here
> so the drug companies can pay off the politicians? Go for it I say.
> There are more than enough of us that will take advantage of Mexico
> and/or Canada and enjoy the money we have left over.
>
> Too bad that you aren't willing to admit that others just may know
> some things that you don't.

You think our biggest problem is illegal immigration and that *I*
believe propaganda? What is this, the Michael Reagan show?

Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:29:44 GMT
Maniack > wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:46:11 -0600, Eric Jorgensen
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:30:27 GMT
> >Maniack > wrote:

> >of> >the> >> FDA actions against food companies.

> >There> >are> problems but companies in this country also cause
> >problems. The> >> biggest problems are illegals from Mexico.

> >> You are the one who believes the idiot propaganda that the

> >government> hoists upon the country. That is not anyone's fault but
> >your own. I> always listen and take it as a factor and check things
> >out on my own.> That is what intelligent people do. And I know about
> >thousands of> people going to Mexico to get medical and dental care
> >and it is> cheaper and done very well. You want to pay the outrageous
> >costs here> so the drug companies can pay off the politicians? Go for
> >it I say.> There are more than enough of us that will take advantage
> >of Mexico> and/or Canada and enjoy the money we have left over.
> >>
> >> Too bad that you aren't willing to admit that others just may know
> >> some things that you don't.

> > You think our biggest problem is illegal immigration and that *I*
> >believe propaganda? What is this, the Michael Reagan show?

> I see another person who doesn't like the truth. I never said the
> biggest problem was illegals but they are one of the biggest problems.
> And guess what? One can't fight terrorists if one leaves the borders
> wide open as has been done in this country.
>
> Listen, why don't all of you people who can't and won't think for
> yourselves go play with each other. Such a shame that people can't
> reply to someone's question about something truthfully instead of
> giving their opinion, an opinion that in fact was a lie and had no
> basis in truth or fact.
>
> Another PLONK

Thanks, looking forward to not hearing from you.

Vox Humana

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:29:44 GMT
> Maniack > wrote:
>
> > Another PLONK

> Thanks, looking forward to not hearing from you.

I couldn't have said it better.

This thread certainly got out of hand. All I wanted to know was what
some of you thought about Mexican vanilla!

Questions about Mexican Vanilla Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge Mexican Cooking 7 08-03-2007 07:17 PM
Mexican Vanilla Rhonda Mexican Cooking 6 25-09-2006 01:08 AM
100% mexican vanilla la vencedora vanillaman Mexican Cooking 13 16-01-2006 02:28 PM
Mexican Vanilla Carol L Baking 22 30-04-2005 01:24 AM
mexican vanilla [email protected] Baking 2 08-06-2004 07:59 PM