Sapphire

Default HELP! Make shift pan..

I am trying to bake an angel food cake, but my springform pan doesn't
come with the attachment for it. How do I make the hole for the cake? I
was thinking of using a glass up - base side down - and setting it in
the middle of my pan and pouring the batter around it, BUT my husband
is afraid the glass will shatter.

Any other suggestions?

I need to make this cake within the next hour. Any thought are greatly
appreciated!

TIA!

Roy

If your springform pan is shallow like a layer pan just put enough
batter on it and bake.If you have excess batter you can pour it in
other pans and bake also.
An upside down glass on the pan will not do the same trick as the tube
pan as the oven heat cannot gent in that portion and will led to poor
baking performance.
If you have a bundt pan that can be also used for such purpose.
Roy

Vox Humana

"Sapphire" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am trying to bake an angel food cake, but my springform pan doesn't
> come with the attachment for it. How do I make the hole for the cake? I
> was thinking of using a glass up - base side down - and setting it in
> the middle of my pan and pouring the batter around it, BUT my husband
> is afraid the glass will shatter.
>
> Any other suggestions?

You can purchase a metal tube to use in a conventional pan to convert it to
a tube pan. In a pinch, you can use a clean, empty can - like a soup can.

Vox Humana

"Sapphire" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am trying to bake an angel food cake, but my springform pan doesn't
> come with the attachment for it. How do I make the hole for the cake? I
> was thinking of using a glass up - base side down - and setting it in
> the middle of my pan and pouring the batter around it, BUT my husband
> is afraid the glass will shatter.
>
> Any other suggestions?

You can purchase a metal tube to use in a conventional pan to convert it to
a tube pan. In a pinch, you can use a clean, empty can - like a soup can.

Sapphire

What a wonderful idea! Thank you guys for your help! unfortunately I
got to this last reply a little to late, and ended up pouring the
mixture into a 10" spring form pan. I will definately try the soup can
out next time when I am in a pinch! Thank you so much for your help!

Vox Humana wrote:
> "Sapphire" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I am trying to bake an angel food cake, but my springform pan

doesn't
> > come with the attachment for it. How do I make the hole for the

cake? I
> > was thinking of using a glass up - base side down - and setting it

in
> > the middle of my pan and pouring the batter around it, BUT my

husband
> > is afraid the glass will shatter.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
> >

> You can purchase a metal tube to use in a conventional pan to convert

it to
> a tube pan. In a pinch, you can use a clean, empty can - like a soup

can.

I think youll find food cans are lead/tin soldered, and the inside
coated to keep the lead away from the food, so yes you could, but its
not ideal.

NT

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Vox Humana wrote:
> > "Sapphire" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > I am trying to bake an angel food cake, but my springform pan

> doesn't
> > > come with the attachment for it. How do I make the hole for the

> cake? I
> > > was thinking of using a glass up - base side down - and setting it

> in
> > > the middle of my pan and pouring the batter around it, BUT my

> husband
> > > is afraid the glass will shatter.
> > >
> > > Any other suggestions?
> > >

> > You can purchase a metal tube to use in a conventional pan to convert

> it to
> > a tube pan. In a pinch, you can use a clean, empty can - like a soup

> can.
>

> I think youll find food cans are lead/tin soldered, and the inside
> coated to keep the lead away from the food, so yes you could, but its
> not ideal.

I don't believe that you can use lead solder on cans in the US. Lead solder
has been banned for plumbing.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Vox Humana wrote on 02 May 2005 in rec.food.baking

> > I think youll find food cans are lead/tin soldered, and the
> > inside coated to keep the lead away from the food, so yes you
> > could, but its not ideal.
> >

> I don't believe that you can use lead solder on cans in the US.
> Lead solder has been banned for plumbing.

Elctrically welded cans replaced lead soldered cans mostly before WWII.
The coating inside the cans is to stop reactions between the metal can
and the food inside...the corn doesn't turn black and the peas taste ok
etc...

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 23 Apr 2005 04:06:12p, Sapphire wrote in rec.food.baking:

> What a wonderful idea! Thank you guys for your help! unfortunately I
> got to this last reply a little to late, and ended up pouring the
> mixture into a 10" spring form pan. I will definately try the soup can
> out next time when I am in a pinch! Thank you so much for your help!

Why not just buy a tube pan before the next time you want to bake an angel
food cake? They're not that expensive, and will make a much prettier and
loftier cake than some makeshift solution. You'll be able to use a tube pan
for a lot of other things.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sat 23 Apr 2005 04:06:12p, Sapphire wrote in rec.food.baking:

You'll be able to use a tube pan
> for a lot of other things.

Stop it. You'll make me blush!

Roy

>Why not just buy a tube pan before the next time you want to bake an
angel
>food cake? They're not that expensive, and will make a much prettier

and
>loftier cake than some makeshift solution. You'll be able to use a

tube pan
>for a lot of other things.

I agree,,,,,improvisation with baking pans can sometimes led to bad
results
Several years back I was baking a batch of pullman breads and I did not
have enough lids to cover the bread tins as some of the lids were
dented and cannot fit .
..Instead I used a baking tray to cover the loaf tins tins but during
baking it lifted the trays resulting in odd shaped pullman loaves!