Her Subj.

Default My Sacher Pictures + Question

Hello,

Here is a picture of my Sachertorte (I didn't end up following the
Wolfgang recipe, but used the one in Baking Illustrated):

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...bum?.dir=/f6a7

The genoise came out great, but I am having a problem with frosting the
caek (as you can see). I used an angled frosting spatula, but I still
have little bits of seams from the frosting. Can anyone suggest a
remedy to this common problem?

Thanks.

HS.

PS: This is for an Austrian friend of mine, and we are to collectively
taste it on Thursday, so I will let everyone know how it came out.

Her Subj. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a picture of my Sachertorte (I didn't end up following the
> Wolfgang recipe, but used the one in Baking Illustrated):
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...bum?.dir=/f6a7
>
> The genoise came out great, but I am having a problem with frosting

the
> caek (as you can see). I used an angled frosting spatula, but I still
> have little bits of seams from the frosting. Can anyone suggest a
> remedy to this common problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> HS.
>
> PS: This is for an Austrian friend of mine, and we are to

collectively
> taste it on Thursday, so I will let everyone know how it came out.

It looks good to me. I'm not sure what you mean by seams in the
frosting unless you're talking about the marks in the frosting made by
the spatula. To get rid of those you need to dip your spatula in hot
water. Hold it flat against the cake and very lightly run it over the
icing to smooth it out. You shouldn't have to press into the icing at
all when you're smoothing it out. The spatula should just barely touch
the surface of the icing. If the icing tears it means you're pressing
too hard.

jacqui{JB}

"Her Subj." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Here is a picture of my Sachertorte (I didn't
> end up following the Wolfgang recipe, but
> used the one in Baking Illustrated):
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...bum?.dir=/f6a7
>
> The genoise came out great, but I am having
> a problem with frosting the caek (as you can see).
> I used an angled frosting spatula, but I still have
> little bits of seams from the frosting. Can anyone
> suggest a remedy to this common problem?

Hey, thanks for the pictures! It's so nice when people come back with their
results

Another poster suggests dipping your spatula (and don't you just love your
offset spatula? I do mine) in hot water to smooth -- very good idea, that,
and one that's worked for me when I've needed a smoother finish. Be careful
about getting any drips on the cake itself; some chocolate frostings will
spot.

I'd be curious to see your recipe, if you're willing to type it up, and see
how it compares with the couple that I have (I find myself a bit nonplussed
this morning, having discovered a Sachertorte recipe in my copy of Bo
Friedberg's _The Professional Pastry Chef_ -- I wasn't expecting it ).
-j

Margaret Suran

Her Subj. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a picture of my Sachertorte (I didn't end up following the
> Wolfgang recipe, but used the one in Baking Illustrated):
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...bum?.dir=/f6a7
>
> The genoise came out great, but I am having a problem with frosting the
> caek (as you can see). I used an angled frosting spatula, but I still
> have little bits of seams from the frosting. Can anyone suggest a
> remedy to this common problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> HS.
>
> PS: This is for an Austrian friend of mine, and we are to collectively
> taste it on Thursday, so I will let everyone know how it came out.

Boy, I sure wish I were that friend. Your cake looks simply yummy and
I know that your friend will enjoy sharing it with you.

Your trouble with the frosting may come from what you use to make it.
In Austria it is made of only sugar, chocolate and water, a glaze
really, not a frosting. It is poured over the cake, so no spatula is
needed, as the glaze is not touched after it is poured over the
Sachertorte and is very shiny. That step, BTW, is considered to be
the most difficult of all.

If I were you, I would just sit back and be really proud and pleased
with how the Sachertorte turned out. ) To me, it looks like a real
masterpiece. Thank you for the pictures.

Margaret Suran

Her Subj. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a picture of my Sachertorte (I didn't end up following the
> Wolfgang recipe, but used the one in Baking Illustrated):
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...bum?.dir=/f6a7
>
> The genoise came out great, but I am having a problem with frosting the
> caek (as you can see). I used an angled frosting spatula, but I still
> have little bits of seams from the frosting. Can anyone suggest a
> remedy to this common problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> HS.
>
> PS: This is for an Austrian friend of mine, and we are to collectively
> taste it on Thursday, so I will let everyone know how it came out.

Boy, I sure wish I were that friend. Your cake looks simply yummy and
I know that your friend will enjoy sharing it with you.

Your trouble with the frosting may come from what you use to make it.
In Austria it is made of only sugar, chocolate and water, a glaze
really, not a frosting. It is poured over the cake, so no spatula is
needed, as the glaze is not touched after it is poured over the
Sachertorte and is very shiny. That step, BTW, is considered to be
the most difficult of all.

If I were you, I would just sit back and be really proud and pleased
with how the Sachertorte turned out. ) To me, it looks like a real
masterpiece. Thank you for the pictures.

Her Subj.

Thanks for the tip! The frosting has already set in the fridge, but I
will definitely try this tip out on my next attempt.

Her Subj.

I am in love with my offset spatula! I prefer it more than my regular
icing spatula.

As I mentioned about, the frosting is already set in the fridge, so
I'll leave it as is. Would you suggest the dipping in hot water method
even after the frosting has already hardened? I suppose I can always
blow-dry it with a hairdryer to bring it back to life.

I'm off to work, but I will type the recipe up later tonight. The
instructions will have to be abbreviated as they are rather long, but
I'll detail the ingredients.

Her Subj.

I've done the dipping a cake-in-a-batter-of-frosting before, and I
found it very wasteful! One has to make much more frosting than what
will eventually cover the cake. The results are worth it, though. I
found the consistency of this frosting to be thicker, more like a
ganache, than the glaze typically associated with the famous
Sachertorte.

FREECYCLE MOM

It looks just scrumcious to me!

Try using a hot wet knife.

"Her Subj." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> Here is a picture of my Sachertorte (I didn't end up following the
> Wolfgang recipe, but used the one in Baking Illustrated):
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...bum?.dir=/f6a7
>
> The genoise came out great, but I am having a problem with frosting the
> caek (as you can see). I used an angled frosting spatula, but I still
> have little bits of seams from the frosting. Can anyone suggest a
> remedy to this common problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> HS.
>
> PS: This is for an Austrian friend of mine, and we are to collectively
> taste it on Thursday, so I will let everyone know how it came out.

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 20 Apr 2005 07:14:29a, Her Subj. wrote in rec.food.baking:

> I've done the dipping a cake-in-a-batter-of-frosting before, and I
> found it very wasteful! One has to make much more frosting than what
> will eventually cover the cake. The results are worth it, though. I
> found the consistency of this frosting to be thicker, more like a
> ganache, than the glaze typically associated with the famous
> Sachertorte.

It would not be a problem for me to eat this cake just the way it is!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Her Subj.

Thanks for the support, everyone! Here's a new picture of the
Sachertorte, decorated in a rather untraditional way, but nevertheless
makes the cake look better, methinks.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...d7.jpg&.src=ph

My friend and I are to try it out tomorrow --hopefully it will taste as
decent as it looks (if I do say so meself!). I made it Tuesday night
and it shall be devoured on Thursday morning/afternoon after having had
been in the refrigerator the entire time inbetween. Should the cake
still taste relatively "fresh?" Also, the glaze set on the cake and is
rather hard (for example, if I tap on the top of the cake, I can hear a
"knock"/solid noise). Is this typical of this type of glaze? (1/2
cream, 1/2 chocolate, some butter as I did not have the suggested corn
syrup.)

The cake needs to be transported to my friend's work which is about 40
minutes from my residence. I hope the cake doesn't start to
sweat/develop condensation!

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 21 Apr 2005 01:15:14a, Her Subj. wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Thanks for the support, everyone! Here's a new picture of the
> Sachertorte, decorated in a rather untraditional way, but nevertheless
> makes the cake look better, methinks.
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...f6a7&.dnm=d8d7.
> jpg&.src=ph
>
> My friend and I are to try it out tomorrow --hopefully it will taste as
> decent as it looks (if I do say so meself!). I made it Tuesday night
> and it shall be devoured on Thursday morning/afternoon after having had
> been in the refrigerator the entire time inbetween. Should the cake
> still taste relatively "fresh?" Also, the glaze set on the cake and is
> rather hard (for example, if I tap on the top of the cake, I can hear a
> "knock"/solid noise). Is this typical of this type of glaze? (1/2
> cream, 1/2 chocolate, some butter as I did not have the suggested corn
> syrup.)
>
> The cake needs to be transported to my friend's work which is about 40
> minutes from my residence. I hope the cake doesn't start to
> sweat/develop condensation!

Very pretty! I'm sure your friend will enjoy it. Can't really answer your
questions about the glaze/frosting.

Please do post pictures of it when it's cut.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 21 Apr 2005 01:15:14a, Her Subj. wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Thanks for the support, everyone! Here's a new picture of the
> Sachertorte, decorated in a rather untraditional way, but nevertheless
> makes the cake look better, methinks.
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...f6a7&.dnm=d8d7.
> jpg&.src=ph
>
> My friend and I are to try it out tomorrow --hopefully it will taste as
> decent as it looks (if I do say so meself!). I made it Tuesday night
> and it shall be devoured on Thursday morning/afternoon after having had
> been in the refrigerator the entire time inbetween. Should the cake
> still taste relatively "fresh?" Also, the glaze set on the cake and is
> rather hard (for example, if I tap on the top of the cake, I can hear a
> "knock"/solid noise). Is this typical of this type of glaze? (1/2
> cream, 1/2 chocolate, some butter as I did not have the suggested corn
> syrup.)
>
> The cake needs to be transported to my friend's work which is about 40
> minutes from my residence. I hope the cake doesn't start to
> sweat/develop condensation!

Very pretty! I'm sure your friend will enjoy it. Can't really answer your
questions about the glaze/frosting.

Please do post pictures of it when it's cut.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Margaret Suran

> On Thu 21 Apr 2005 01:15:14a, Her Subj. wrote in rec.food.baking:
>

>>Thanks for the support, everyone! Here's a new picture of the
>>Sachertorte, decorated in a rather untraditional way, but nevertheless
>>makes the cake look better, methinks.
>>
>>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...f6a7&.dnm=d8d7.
>>jpg&.src=ph

It looks even more beautiful then before. Is that powdered sugar on
top?

If you ever want the recipe for the sugar - water - chocolate glaze,
let me know and I will copy it for you from my Viennese cook book.

I still wish I could taste that lovely cake. M

Margaret Suran

> On Thu 21 Apr 2005 01:15:14a, Her Subj. wrote in rec.food.baking:
>

>>Thanks for the support, everyone! Here's a new picture of the
>>Sachertorte, decorated in a rather untraditional way, but nevertheless
>>makes the cake look better, methinks.
>>
>>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hersub...f6a7&.dnm=d8d7.
>>jpg&.src=ph

It looks even more beautiful then before. Is that powdered sugar on
top?

If you ever want the recipe for the sugar - water - chocolate glaze,
let me know and I will copy it for you from my Viennese cook book.

I still wish I could taste that lovely cake. M

Her Subj.

Here are the ingredients for this Sachertorte:

chocolate genoise cake:

4 T unsalted butter
3.75 oz unbleached a/p flour
1.25 oz dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 large eggs
7 ounces granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

frosting:

1/2 C heavy cream
2 T light corn syrup
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. melt butter on low heat and set aside. sift flour, cocoa powder, and
salt onto parchment paper.
2. whisk eggs and sugar in bowl until blended
3. put the mix over a water bath (do not allow the bottom of the bowl
to touch water) and mix until fluffy, and mixture is at around 110F.
mixture should be able to stream down a ribbon when whisk is held 4-5
inches above the bowl.
4. take 1 cup of the mixture and mix with the melted butter.
5. take flour, cocoa, and salt blend and gently fold into the egg and
sugar mixture. fold the 1 cup of sugar, eggs, and butter gently into
the mixture making sure not to allow the mixture to collapse.
6. bake at 350f for about 35 minutes until cake spring backs up when
touched with finger

FREECYCLE MOM

Oh, that does look delicious!

"Her Subj." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the support, everyone! Here's a new picture of the
> Sachertorte, decorated in a rather untraditional way, but nevertheless
> makes the cake look better, methinks.

FREECYCLE MOM

Oh, that does look delicious!

"Her Subj." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the support, everyone! Here's a new picture of the
> Sachertorte, decorated in a rather untraditional way, but nevertheless
> makes the cake look better, methinks.

Sacher torte Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 24 15-01-2017 07:36 AM
Sacher torte gloria p General Cooking 11 14-02-2012 09:06 PM
sacher glasur revisited tert in seattle General Cooking 0 11-07-2006 09:44 PM
Sacher Torte Recipe Her Subj. Baking 11 21-04-2005 04:41 AM
Sacher torte Reg Baking 7 20-10-2003 05:53 PM