perspicacious

Default why does my bread collapse?

Picture says it all...

http://epaperpress.com/temp/bread.jpg

Mike Avery

perspicacious wrote:

>Picture says it all...
>
>http://epaperpress.com/temp/bread.jpg

The usual causes of bread collapse are...

too liquid a dough, so the dough doesn't have enough strength to hold
together

too much riser, so the bread over-rises and then collapses

not enough kneading, so the bread dough isn't developed enough.

The most common cause is too much riser. Try cutting your yeast by
about 1/3, and then play with it from there. If you used a bread
machine, an excellent resource is any of the "Bread Machine Magic" books.

Mike

Mary Beth Goodman

In article >,
"perspicacious" > wrote:

> Picture says it all...
>
> http://epaperpress.com/temp/bread.jpg

Not enough gluten development aka - needed more kneading or folding?

Perhaps too long a final rising time?

--
Mary Beth
Orientation::Quilter
Jenn Ridley

"perspicacious" > wrote:

>Picture says it all...
>
>http://epaperpress.com/temp/bread.jpg

Too much water, or too much yeast. (Or it was dropped on its top when
being removed from the pan, and/or cooled too quickly, but I'd go for
too much yeast.)

--
Jenn Ridley :

possibly underbaked .

what does it look like when cut in the middle ?

if the middle is not cooked you need to drop your oven temp a little
and bake longer.

If you are new to bread baking you should weigh the dough. The weight
will help tell if it is underprooffed.

Rina

> If you are new to bread baking you should weigh the dough. The weight
> will help tell if it is underprooffed.

How?

Rina

> If you are new to bread baking you should weigh the dough. The weight
> will help tell if it is underprooffed.

How?

Janet Bostwick

> wrote in message
ups.com...
snip
> If you are new to bread baking you should weigh the dough. The weight
> will help tell if it is underprooffed.

Huh?

Janet Bostwick

> wrote in message
ups.com...
snip
> If you are new to bread baking you should weigh the dough. The weight
> will help tell if it is underprooffed.

Huh?

Sapphire

Silly question - do you live in an elevated area? Sometimes that
effects how the dough rises once it is in the over.

I know for me, as silly as it sounds, sometimes it is to noisy in the
kitchen or it is when I open the door that the top falls.

Janet Bostwick

"Sapphire" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Silly question - do you live in an elevated area? Sometimes that
> effects how the dough rises once it is in the over.
>
> I know for me, as silly as it sounds, sometimes it is to noisy in the
> kitchen or it is when I open the door that the top falls.

You're right, that is silly. You are making bread, not a cake and the bread
should never fall because of noise or opening the oven door. The examples
that you cite mean that you have not developed the dough and gluten
properly, so there is nothing to support the loaf. Real bread dough can be
handled, without a pan to support it, without the dough collapsing.
Janet

jimmyjames

People bake bread like it is a one time thing. Are you in a high elevation
(above 500)?
you have to bake and bake and bake, at a normal elevation follow a recipe
exactly.
do it again