FoodBanter.com

-   -   Almond powder (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/587-almond-powder.html)

BMC 01-06-2004 04:11 AM

Almond powder

I came across a recipe that calls for almond powder. Can I use almond
extract as a substitute?

Wayne 01-06-2004 04:51 AM

Almond powder

"BMC" > wrote in news:rtSuc.105943$hH.1865110@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> I came across a recipe that calls for almond powder. Can I use almond
> extract as a substitute?

That depends. How much almond powder does it call for? Nut powders are
often substituted for part of the flour, for which extract would not be a
suitable substitute.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.

Carol 03-06-2004 12:57 AM

Almond powder

"BMC" > wrote in message >...
> I came across a recipe that calls for almond powder. Can I use almond
> extract as a substitute?

As Wayne mentioned, "almond powder" is probably an alternative term
for what in the U.S. is commonly called "almond flour". It's very
finely ground nuts and is available in both toasted and plain forms.
You can make your own but if using a blender or processor be careful
not to overdo, which will result in an oily paste.

Almond extract is entirely different.

Carol