Old 09-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Priscilla Ballou wrote:
Thanks for your response, Roy. Emma's my niece, not my daughter, but I
just translated those sentences to match. ;-)

This first bread baking will be with Emma assisting and observing. More
active participation will be as she wants. I'd given her the options of
cookies or bread for this weekend, and she said bread because she'd made
cookies before. "I've never baked bread before," she warned, and I
assured her that I wasn't relying on her for expertise, I was simply
offering a chance for her to learn how to do it. That met with firm
approval. I generally offer and accept what she chooses. I have some
really good goop for burns, just in case. Her mother is the
over-protective one. I'm more of the "the kid's going to have to learn,
and I'll inform her and then be there for her when it hurts" school.

The recipe matters because I NEED A RECIPE, but I guess I'll go to Joy
of Cooking. ;-)

Priscilla

my daughter Sarah aged 10 and a half has taken to
baking cheese bread plaits all by herself! by hand, from scratch here's
her recipe, sorry if it's a bit late.

They turn out very well and she likes the braiding bit, but not the
waiting...

Hilda

White Cheese Bread Plaits

Ingredients:

675g white flour
450ml lukewarm water
2 tea spoons salt
2 tea spoons yeast
1 table spoon sunflower oil
1/2 cup grated cheese

Method:

1.Measure out flour into a bowl.
2.Add salt and mix thoroughly.
3.Add yeast, stir and make a wide, deep well in the middle.
4.Pour water and sunflower oil into the well, gradually drawing in the
flour from the sides until it is smooth and elastic.
5.Add cheese and mix until it is hard to tell the difference between the
dough and cheese.
6.Knead the dough to bind the ingredients together properly.
7.Split the dough into three lumps and put two aside.
8.Split this lump into three and roll each ball into a sausage shape.
9.Lay the three rolls beside each other, carefully plait them and
squeeze the ends to keep it together.
10.Repeat this shaping process on the other two balls.
11.Once you have made the three plaits, lay them on a tray over a gentle
heat and leave them to prove for 40 minutes.
12.After proving, the plaits should have almost doubled in size.
13.Put the plaits in an oven at 220 degrees celsius for 35-40 minutes or
until well risen. You may need to bake for a shorter time depending on
your oven)

(Our fan oven only takes about 20 minutes I suggest you keep an eye on
the loaves to prevent burning

14.Leave the bread to cool for about 10 minutes, cut it open and enjoy!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0514-2, 08/04/2005
Tested on: 09/04/2005 12:50:28

Old 09-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Rina

One packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message news:vze23t8n-

Thanks, but.... no kneading? And how much yeast is in a package? I buy
it by the bag.

Old 09-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Priscilla Ballou

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

Priscilla Ballou wrote:
[...]

Wonderful! Sounds fun and yummy. I'm going to save this for a future
baking exercise.

Thanks! :-)

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Old 09-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Priscilla Ballou

"Rina" wrote:

One packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons

Ta.

Priscilla

Old 09-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Marcella Peek

Priscilla Ballou wrote:

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

In article ,
Priscilla Ballou wrote:

The recipe matters because I NEED A RECIPE, but I guess I'll go to Joy
of Cooking. ;-)

Priscilla

Here's a good recipe that we like. It's pretty straightforward. You
can make it into 2 loaves or 24 rolls or some of each. I got the recipe
from my ex-husbands grandma.

Mom's White Bread

2 C warm water
1/4 C sugar
3/4 t salt
1 pkg yeast
1/4 C vegetable oil
6 C all purpose flour

Mix water, sugar, salt, yeast, oil and 4 C flour until fairly smooth.
Let rise 10 minutes. Mix in up to 2 C flour. This should make a fairly
stiff dough. Let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rest for 10
minutes. Shape into two loaves or 24 rolls. Let rise in greased pans
until doubled. Bake loaves at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, rolls will
take less time.

Thanks, but.... no kneading?

Sorry, you had mentioned having a KA mixer in an eariler post so I gave
you my sil's modified directions. Mixing until it is smooth is
kneading. If you want to take it out of your mixer and do it by hand,
by all means, do so.

And how much yeast is in a package? I buy
it by the bag.

Generally 1 1/2t.

marcella
Old 09-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Marcella Peek

Priscilla Ballou wrote:

In article ,

Old 11-04-2005, 07:35 PM

Thomas H. O'Reilly wrote:
Well, I can't deny that bread is best when cooled, but I think it's
stretching the forebearance of any child to pull something they

helped
prepare out of the oven, and then tell them they can't eat it. Heck,

even I
find that difficult. I'd let it cool for ten minutes, but surely

serve some
warm. I don't think the off flavors will bother the child, or even

be
noticed. And a little butter and jam can hide a multitude of sins.

How about saving a bit of the dough and baking it as a roll, alongside
the loaf? Then she could taste it right away and you wouldn't have to
cut into a whole loaf.

-Scott