GMAN

In article >, Kenneth > wrote:
>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:15:40 GMT, "Thomas H. O'Reilly"
> wrote:
>
>>My concern would be that you want her to take the loaf home with her. This
>>means she doesn't get to taste it with butter and jam when it's hot. A cup
>>of hot sweet tea with milk? I'd make two loaves, eat one right away, and
>>take one home..
>>

>Howdy,
>
>Bread is not at its best when it is still hot from the oven.
>(In fact, in France, it is not legal to sell such.)

Or to own deoderant

>It is at its best after it has cooled (and is then re-heated
>if one wants it warm.) When still hot from the oven, it has
>all sorts of off tastes from by-products that will evaporate
>as it cools.
>
>All the best,

San Francisco sour dough bread is best eaten warm from the oven.
GMAN

In article >, Kenneth > wrote:
>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:15:40 GMT, "Thomas H. O'Reilly"
> wrote:
>
>>My concern would be that you want her to take the loaf home with her. This
>>means she doesn't get to taste it with butter and jam when it's hot. A cup
>>of hot sweet tea with milk? I'd make two loaves, eat one right away, and
>>take one home..
>>

>Howdy,
>
>Bread is not at its best when it is still hot from the oven.
>(In fact, in France, it is not legal to sell such.)

Or to own deoderant

>It is at its best after it has cooled (and is then re-heated
>if one wants it warm.) When still hot from the oven, it has
>all sorts of off tastes from by-products that will evaporate
>as it cools.
>
>All the best,

San Francisco sour dough bread is best eaten warm from the oven.
RsH

The typical packet of yeast is 8 grams to 8.25 grams of yeast.

RsH

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:23:29 GMT, Priscilla Ballou
> wrote:

>Thanks, but.... no kneading? And how much yeast is in a package? I buy
>it by the bag.

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
RsH

The typical packet of yeast is 8 grams to 8.25 grams of yeast.

RsH

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:23:29 GMT, Priscilla Ballou
> wrote:

>Thanks, but.... no kneading? And how much yeast is in a package? I buy
>it by the bag.

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Priscilla Ballou wrote:
> Thanks for your response, Roy. Emma's my niece, not my daughter, but I
> just translated those sentences to match. ;-)
>
> This first bread baking will be with Emma assisting and observing. More
> active participation will be as she wants. I'd given her the options of
> cookies or bread for this weekend, and she said bread because she'd made
> cookies before. "I've never baked bread before," she warned, and I
> assured her that I wasn't relying on her for expertise, I was simply
> offering a chance for her to learn how to do it. That met with firm
> approval. I generally offer and accept what she chooses. I have some
> really good goop for burns, just in case. Her mother is the
> over-protective one. I'm more of the "the kid's going to have to learn,
> and I'll inform her and then be there for her when it hurts" school.
>
> The recipe matters because I NEED A RECIPE, but I guess I'll go to Joy
> of Cooking. ;-)
>
> Priscilla

my daughter Sarah aged 10 and a half has taken to
baking cheese bread plaits all by herself! by hand, from scratch here's
her recipe, sorry if it's a bit late.

They turn out very well and she likes the braiding bit, but not the
waiting...

Hilda

White Cheese Bread Plaits

Ingredients:

675g white flour
450ml lukewarm water
2 tea spoons salt
2 tea spoons yeast
1 table spoon sunflower oil
1/2 cup grated cheese

Method:

1.Measure out flour into a bowl.
2.Add salt and mix thoroughly.
3.Add yeast, stir and make a wide, deep well in the middle.
4.Pour water and sunflower oil into the well, gradually drawing in the
flour from the sides until it is smooth and elastic.
5.Add cheese and mix until it is hard to tell the difference between the
dough and cheese.
6.Knead the dough to bind the ingredients together properly.
7.Split the dough into three lumps and put two aside.
8.Split this lump into three and roll each ball into a sausage shape.
9.Lay the three rolls beside each other, carefully plait them and
squeeze the ends to keep it together.
10.Repeat this shaping process on the other two balls.
11.Once you have made the three plaits, lay them on a tray over a gentle
heat and leave them to prove for 40 minutes.
12.After proving, the plaits should have almost doubled in size.
13.Put the plaits in an oven at 220 degrees celsius for 35-40 minutes or
until well risen. You may need to bake for a shorter time depending on
your oven)

(Our fan oven only takes about 20 minutes I suggest you keep an eye on
the loaves to prevent burning

14.Leave the bread to cool for about 10 minutes, cut it open and enjoy!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0514-2, 08/04/2005
Tested on: 09/04/2005 12:50:28

Ian & Hilda Dedic

Priscilla Ballou wrote:
> [...]

8.Split this lump into three and roll each ball into a sausage shape.
9.Lay the three rolls beside each other, carefully plait them and
squeeze the ends to keep it together.
10.Repeat this shaping process on the other two balls.
11.Once you have made the three plaits, lay them on a tray over a gentle
heat and leave them to prove for 40 minutes.
12.After proving, the plaits should have almost doubled in size.
13.Put the plaits in an oven at 220 degrees celsius for 35-40 minutes or
until well risen. You may need to bake for a shorter time depending on
your oven)

(Our fan oven only takes about 20 minutes I suggest you keep an eye on
the loaves to prevent burning

14.Leave the bread to cool for about 10 minutes, cut it open and enjoy!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0514-2, 08/04/2005

Rina

One packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message news:vze23t8n-

> Thanks, but.... no kneading? And how much yeast is in a package? I buy
> it by the bag.

Rina

One packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message news:vze23t8n-

> Thanks, but.... no kneading? And how much yeast is in a package? I buy
> it by the bag.

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Ian & Hilda Dedic > wrote:

> Priscilla Ballou wrote:
> > Thanks for your response, Roy. Emma's my niece, not my daughter, but I
> > just translated those sentences to match. ;-)
> >
> > This first bread baking will be with Emma assisting and observing. More
> > active participation will be as she wants. I'd given her the options of
> > cookies or bread for this weekend, and she said bread because she'd made
> > cookies before. "I've never baked bread before," she warned, and I
> > assured her that I wasn't relying on her for expertise, I was simply
> > offering a chance for her to learn how to do it. That met with firm
> > approval. I generally offer and accept what she chooses. I have some
> > really good goop for burns, just in case. Her mother is the
> > over-protective one. I'm more of the "the kid's going to have to learn,
> > and I'll inform her and then be there for her when it hurts" school.
> >
> > The recipe matters because I NEED A RECIPE, but I guess I'll go to Joy
> > of Cooking. ;-)
> >
> > Priscilla

> my daughter Sarah aged 10 and a half has taken to
> baking cheese bread plaits all by herself! by hand, from scratch here's
> her recipe, sorry if it's a bit late.
>
> They turn out very well and she likes the braiding bit, but not the
> waiting...
>
> Hilda
>
> White Cheese Bread Plaits
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 675g white flour
> 450ml lukewarm water
> 2 tea spoons salt
> 2 tea spoons yeast
> 1 table spoon sunflower oil
> 1/2 cup grated cheese
>

> Method:
>
> 1.Measure out flour into a bowl.
> 2.Add salt and mix thoroughly.
> 3.Add yeast, stir and make a wide, deep well in the middle.
> 4.Pour water and sunflower oil into the well, gradually drawing in the
> flour from the sides until it is smooth and elastic.
> 5.Add cheese and mix until it is hard to tell the difference between the
> dough and cheese.
> 6.Knead the dough to bind the ingredients together properly.
> 7.Split the dough into three lumps and put two aside.
> 8.Split this lump into three and roll each ball into a sausage shape.
> 9.Lay the three rolls beside each other, carefully plait them and
> squeeze the ends to keep it together.
> 10.Repeat this shaping process on the other two balls.
> 11.Once you have made the three plaits, lay them on a tray over a gentle
> heat and leave them to prove for 40 minutes.
> 12.After proving, the plaits should have almost doubled in size.
> 13.Put the plaits in an oven at 220 degrees celsius for 35-40 minutes or
> until well risen. You may need to bake for a shorter time depending on
> your oven)
>
> (Our fan oven only takes about 20 minutes I suggest you keep an eye on
> the loaves to prevent burning
>
> 14.Leave the bread to cool for about 10 minutes, cut it open and enjoy!

Wonderful! Sounds fun and yummy. I'm going to save this for a future
baking exercise.

Thanks! :-)

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Ian & Hilda Dedic > wrote:

> [...]

> heat and leave them to prove for 40 minutes.
> 12.After proving, the plaits should have almost doubled in size.
> 13.Put the plaits in an oven at 220 degrees celsius for 35-40 minutes or
> until well risen. You may need to bake for a shorter time depending on
> your oven)
>
> (Our fan oven only takes about 20 minutes I suggest you keep an eye on
> the loaves to prevent burning
>
> 14.Leave the bread to cool for about 10 minutes, cut it open and enjoy!

Wonderful! Sounds fun and yummy. I'm going to save this for a future
baking exercise.

Thanks! :-)

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Rina" > wrote:

> One packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons

Ta.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Rina" > wrote:

> One packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons

Ta.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Marcella Peek

In article >,
Priscilla Ballou > wrote:

> In article >,
> Marcella Peek > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Priscilla Ballou > wrote:
> >
> > > The recipe matters because I NEED A RECIPE, but I guess I'll go to Joy
> > > of Cooking. ;-)
> > >
> > > Priscilla

> > Here's a good recipe that we like. It's pretty straightforward. You
> > can make it into 2 loaves or 24 rolls or some of each. I got the recipe
> > from my ex-husbands grandma.
> >
> > Mom's White Bread
> >
> > 2 C warm water
> > 1/4 C sugar
> > 3/4 t salt
> > 1 pkg yeast
> > 1/4 C vegetable oil
> > 6 C all purpose flour
> >
> > Mix water, sugar, salt, yeast, oil and 4 C flour until fairly smooth.
> > Let rise 10 minutes. Mix in up to 2 C flour. This should make a fairly
> > stiff dough. Let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rest for 10
> > minutes. Shape into two loaves or 24 rolls. Let rise in greased pans
> > until doubled. Bake loaves at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, rolls will
> > take less time.

> Thanks, but.... no kneading?

Sorry, you had mentioned having a KA mixer in an eariler post so I gave
you my sil's modified directions. Mixing until it is smooth is
kneading. If you want to take it out of your mixer and do it by hand,
by all means, do so.

>And how much yeast is in a package? I buy
> it by the bag.

Generally 1 1/2t.

marcella
Marcella Peek

In article >,
Priscilla Ballou > wrote:

> In article >,
> Marcella Peek > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Priscilla Ballou > wrote:
> >
> > > The recipe matters because I NEED A RECIPE, but I guess I'll go to Joy
> > > of Cooking. ;-)
> > >
> > > Priscilla

> > Here's a good recipe that we like. It's pretty straightforward. You
> > can make it into 2 loaves or 24 rolls or some of each. I got the recipe
> > from my ex-husbands grandma.
> >
> > Mom's White Bread
> >
> > 2 C warm water
> > 1/4 C sugar
> > 3/4 t salt
> > 1 pkg yeast
> > 1/4 C vegetable oil
> > 6 C all purpose flour
> >
> > Mix water, sugar, salt, yeast, oil and 4 C flour until fairly smooth.
> > Let rise 10 minutes. Mix in up to 2 C flour. This should make a fairly
> > stiff dough. Let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rest for 10
> > minutes. Shape into two loaves or 24 rolls. Let rise in greased pans
> > until doubled. Bake loaves at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, rolls will
> > take less time.

> Thanks, but.... no kneading?

Sorry, you had mentioned having a KA mixer in an eariler post so I gave
you my sil's modified directions. Mixing until it is smooth is
kneading. If you want to take it out of your mixer and do it by hand,
by all means, do so.

>And how much yeast is in a package? I buy
> it by the bag.

Generally 1 1/2t.

marcella

Thomas H. O'Reilly wrote:
> Well, I can't deny that bread is best when cooled, but I think it's
> stretching the forebearance of any child to pull something they

helped
> prepare out of the oven, and then tell them they can't eat it. Heck,

even I
> find that difficult. I'd let it cool for ten minutes, but surely

serve some
> warm. I don't think the off flavors will bother the child, or even

be
> noticed. And a little butter and jam can hide a multitude of sins.

How about saving a bit of the dough and baking it as a roll, alongside
the loaf? Then she could taste it right away and you wouldn't have to
cut into a whole loaf.

-Scott