Me

Default looking for a good, moist pumpkin cake

I have an idea for making a "moon" cake for Halloween. The recipe I have
calls for chocolate cake with cream cheese-lemon icing. I think I'd like to
do a pumpkin spice cake with the same frosting.

Does anyone have any recipe for pmp spice cake?

Thx

Vox Humana

"Me" > wrote in message
> I have an idea for making a "moon" cake for Halloween. The recipe I have
> calls for chocolate cake with cream cheese-lemon icing. I think I'd like

> do a pumpkin spice cake with the same frosting.

Fantastic Pumpkin Carrot Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour (or 2 cup plus 2 Tbs. cake flour) (250 gm)

2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 tsp. allspice

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 cup milk (183 gm.)

1.5 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. vanilla

1.5 cups granulated sugar (300 gm)

1.25 cups Libby's Solid Pack Pumpkin (306 gm)

3 eggs (150 gm)

1/2 cup packed brown sugar (110 gm)

1/2 cup vegetable oil (109 gm)

1 cup (8-oz. can) crushed pineapple, drained (195 gm)

1 cup grated carrots (110 gm)

1 cup flaked coconut (74 gm)

1 cup raisins (145 gm)

1.25 cups chopped walnuts or pecans, divided (120 + 30 gm)

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and

salt in small bowl.

Combine milk, lemon juice, and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.

Beat granulated sugar, pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar

and vegetable oil until combined. Beat in pine-

apple, carrots, milk mixture until combined.

Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in

Coconut, raisins, and 1 cup nuts. Pour into 2 greased

9-inch round cake pans.

Bake in preheated 350F oven for 30 to 35

minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.

Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes.

Remove to racks to cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

3.5 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp. grated orange peel

2 Tsp. orange juice

1 tsp. vanilla

1/3 cup butter

remaining nuts to garnish.

Me

Thanks, these are all great.

Vox, I sent an email to your personal address but meant to post it here...

Can you leave the nuts, coconut and maybe even the pineapple out of this
recipe?

Thanks,
"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Me" > wrote in message
> > I have an idea for making a "moon" cake for Halloween. The recipe I

have
> > calls for chocolate cake with cream cheese-lemon icing. I think I'd

like
> > do a pumpkin spice cake with the same frosting.
> >

> Fantastic Pumpkin Carrot Cake
>

> 2 cups all-purpose flour (or 2 cup plus 2 Tbs. cake flour) (250 gm)
>
> 2 tsp. baking soda
>
> 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
>
> 1 tsp. allspice
>
> 1/2 tsp. salt
>
> 3/4 cup milk (183 gm.)
>
> 1.5 tsp. lemon juice
>
> 1 tsp. vanilla
>
> 1.5 cups granulated sugar (300 gm)
>
> 1.25 cups Libby's Solid Pack Pumpkin (306 gm)
>
> 3 eggs (150 gm)
>
> 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (110 gm)
>
> 1/2 cup vegetable oil (109 gm)
>
> 1 cup (8-oz. can) crushed pineapple, drained (195 gm)
>
> 1 cup grated carrots (110 gm)
>
> 1 cup flaked coconut (74 gm)
>
> 1 cup raisins (145 gm)
>
> 1.25 cups chopped walnuts or pecans, divided (120 + 30 gm)
>

> Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and
>
> salt in small bowl.
>

> Combine milk, lemon juice, and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.
>

> Beat granulated sugar, pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar
>
> and vegetable oil until combined. Beat in pine-
>
> apple, carrots, milk mixture until combined.
>
> Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in
>
> Coconut, raisins, and 1 cup nuts. Pour into 2 greased
>
> 9-inch round cake pans.
>

> Bake in preheated 350F oven for 30 to 35
>
> minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
>
> Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes.
>
> Remove to racks to cool completely.
>

> Cream Cheese Frosting:
>
> 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
>
> 1 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
>
> 3.5 cups powdered sugar
>
> 1 tsp. grated orange peel
>
> 2 Tsp. orange juice
>
> 1 tsp. vanilla
>
> 1/3 cup butter
>
> remaining nuts to garnish.

Vox Humana

"Me" > wrote in message
> Thanks, these are all great.
>
> Vox, I sent an email to your personal address but meant to post it here...
>
> Can you leave the nuts, coconut and maybe even the pineapple out of this
> recipe?

You can definitely leave out the nuts, raisins, and coconut. I think you
need the pineapple for moistness and for acid to react with the baking soda.
Coincidentally, since I pulled up the recipe I decided to make one. I had
some pumpkin opened in the frig. I left out the all the above and
substituted coarsely chopped Jonathan apples for the carrots and pineapple.
I just put it in the oven .... so we will see in about 30 minutes how it
comes out.

tgt

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Me" > wrote in message
> > Thanks, these are all great.
> >
> > Vox, I sent an email to your personal address but meant to post it

here...

> > Can you leave the nuts, coconut and maybe even the pineapple out of this
> > recipe?

> You can definitely leave out the nuts, raisins, and coconut. I think you
> need the pineapple for moistness and for acid to react with the baking

soda.
> Coincidentally, since I pulled up the recipe I decided to make one. I had
> some pumpkin opened in the frig. I left out the all the above and
> substituted coarsely chopped Jonathan apples for the carrots and

pineapple.
> I just put it in the oven .... so we will see in about 30 minutes how it
> comes out.

Please do let us know how it turned-out... sounds like a good recipe and I
am interested in trying it - apples instead of carrots sounds like a good
idea for autumn.

Thanks in advance,
tgt
taylormanor at comcastdotnet

Vox Humana

"tgt" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Me" > wrote in message
> > > Thanks, these are all great.
> > >
> > > Vox, I sent an email to your personal address but meant to post it

> here...
> > >
> > > Can you leave the nuts, coconut and maybe even the pineapple out of

this
> > > recipe?

> > You can definitely leave out the nuts, raisins, and coconut. I think

you
> > need the pineapple for moistness and for acid to react with the baking

> soda.
> > Coincidentally, since I pulled up the recipe I decided to make one. I

had
> > some pumpkin opened in the frig. I left out the all the above and
> > substituted coarsely chopped Jonathan apples for the carrots and

> pineapple.
> > I just put it in the oven .... so we will see in about 30 minutes how it
> > comes out.

> Please do let us know how it turned-out... sounds like a good recipe and I
> am interested in trying it - apples instead of carrots sounds like a good
> idea for autumn.

The cake turned out very well. It is quite moist and is very good served
as-is, with a sprinkle of powered sugar, or a dollop or whipped cream. I
baked it in an 11 x 13 pan and it took about 45 minutes. The next time I
will reduce the allspice to 1/4 tsp. The carrots and pineapple are stronger
in flavor than the apples, so the amount of spice needed to be reduced for
my taste. As with the original version, the cake is better today than
yesterday. The moisture and flavor gets redistributed with time. To recap,
I baked the cake without any nuts, coconut, or raisins (although you could
add any or all back into the cake without a problem) and substituted an
equal amount of coarsely grated tart baking apples for both the carrots and
pineapple. To grate the apples, I dropped them down the feed tube of the
food process with the blade running. They were more shredded than grated.
You could use the shredding side of a box grater or a shredding disk on the
FP also.

Stef

Thanks Vox! That sounds very yummy. I will make it.

You must be a wonderful cook!