FoodBanter.com

-   -   Flourless sponge cake recipe... (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/57497-flourless-sponge-cake-recipe.html)

AaronSchlom 28-03-2005 01:05 PM

Flourless sponge cake recipe...

I used to have a recipe for a flourless sponge cake (I'm sure
of this) that used a fair few egg yolks that were whisked for
(what seemed like) hours until the mixture - also consisting
of caster sugar - doubled in size. For the life of me, I can't
remember how the recipe went - how many eggs (8, I think),
how much caster sugar (4 oz probably) - and I'd greatly
appreciate it if someone could enlighten me. I'm in a, er,
baking mood. ;-)

[email protected] 29-03-2005 06:40 PM

AaronSchlom wrote:
> I used to have a recipe for a flourless sponge cake (I'm sure
> of this) that used a fair few egg yolks that were whisked for
> (what seemed like) hours until the mixture - also consisting
> of caster sugar - doubled in size. For the life of me, I can't
> remember how the recipe went - how many eggs (8, I think),
> how much caster sugar (4 oz probably) - and I'd greatly
> appreciate it if someone could enlighten me. I'm in a, er,
> baking mood. ;-)

try http://www.recipezaar.com/r/294/173

or http://frenchfood.about.com/od/frenc...r/nfalmond.htm
shown below

G=E2teau aux amandes
Flourless Almond Cake
Pronounced: gah toe / oh / zah mahnd

INGREDIENTS:

* 1-1/2 cups + 1/4 cup sliced almonds
* 3/4 cups + 2 Tablespoons confectioners' sugar
* 4 large egg whites
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
* cooking spray for cake pan

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 325=B0F. Cut an 8-inch circle from waxed or parchment
paper to line the bottom of the cake pan.
1=2E Pour 1-1/2 cups of almonds and 3/4 cup of confectioners' sugar into
the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely ground.

2=2E Using an electric mixture and a clean bowl, beat egg whites until
soft peaks form.

3=2E Gradually add the remaining 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar
and beat until the peaks are stiff and glossy. Beat in the almond
extract.

4=2E Sprinkle half of the almond/sugar mixture over the egg whites and
using a rubber spatula fold them in. Repeat with remaining almonds.

5=2E Spray the cake pan with the cooking spray. Line with the paper round
and spray it also.

6=2E Sprinkle the pan evenly with the remaining 1/4 cups of sliced
almonds. Gently spread the batter into the pan and tap the pan on the
counter to remove any air bubbles.

7=2E Bake 40 to 45 minutes. The cake should be golden and firm in the
center.

8=2E Allow to cool completely in the pan.

To serve:

Cut into slices and serve.

[email protected] 29-03-2005 06:40 PM

[email protected] 29-03-2005 06:40 PM

walamalacalucy 31-03-2005 08:22 PM

"AaronSchlom" > wrote in message >...
> I used to have a recipe for a flourless sponge cake (I'm sure
> of this) that used a fair few egg yolks that were whisked for
> (what seemed like) hours until the mixture - also consisting
> of caster sugar - doubled in size. For the life of me, I can't
> remember how the recipe went - how many eggs (8, I think),
> how much caster sugar (4 oz probably) - and I'd greatly
> appreciate it if someone could enlighten me. I'm in a, er,
> baking mood. ;-)

i am wandering if you mean a fatless sponge.---this is made by
whisking the eggs for hours on end until they are very thick and the
volume is doubled.(mix the eggs with the sugar) our home economics
teacher would make us do this --the sadist that she was-- then gently
fold in the flour.the end result is melt in the mouth and super light
and fluffy.