Jim Rutledge

Default Egg timer from the 30th century is here!!

Hi, HAPPY EASTER !!!
We are developing the Eggs-Actor 3000 timer
for the XP operation system just in time for Easter
Season!!! It is designed as a timer for meal
preperations, exercise workouts, and much much
more!!
How it works...
Athletes can use it for setting up their weekly
workout schedules . An example would be say
Monday ,Wednesday,and Friday at 6:30 AM use
stairclimber for 10 minutes , stretch for 5 ,
do deep knee bends for a 3 minutes .. etc. You
just tell it the way you want to do your own
workouts and use any prerecorded wave or
a TexttoSpeech voices (3 included and many more
can be added for more realism) .
~~~~ AND ~~~~~

It is also used as a reminder system to tell
the cooks when their yeast has risen,when dough
has doubled,and thousands of other uses. (Let's
you know when to check on the roast in oven, and
I could go on).Also there are some recipes that
have been tested and integrated into working
with the EggsActor 3000 timer. The sofware is
designed using the latest in technology
programming languages and has AT&T Bell
labs Natural Voices support. Right now my beta
copy has 7 voices and I will be adding a few more soon.

I am interested in finding people that would like to try
this useful software out. If it turns out you really like it
and would even like to promote it thru your website
I would send back to you $3.00 US for any who decide
they would like to get a full copy.. ( I am only asking $15 US
for those who do). If you like what you have read so far and
want to try a beta copy of the EggsActor 3000 Timer. go to the
download site listed below.
The URL is

http://gamblerschance.com/eggsdownload.htm.
It's well worth taking a look at
Any questions ?? my email is

Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:19:56 GMT
"Jim Rutledge" > wrote:

> It is also used as a reminder system to tell
> the cooks when their yeast has risen,when dough
> has doubled,and thousands of other uses. (Let's
> you know when to check on the roast in oven, and
> I could go on).

These are things that timers are ill-suited to. How the heck does your
timer know how much yeast i used, how fresh it was, what temperature of
water i used, what the ambient temperature in my kitchen is, how well
developed the gluten is, etc.

Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:19:56 GMT
"Jim Rutledge" > wrote:

> It is also used as a reminder system to tell
> the cooks when their yeast has risen,when dough
> has doubled,and thousands of other uses. (Let's
> you know when to check on the roast in oven, and
> I could go on).

These are things that timers are ill-suited to. How the heck does your
timer know how much yeast i used, how fresh it was, what temperature of
water i used, what the ambient temperature in my kitchen is, how well
developed the gluten is, etc.

Jim Rutledge

Well, A good question. We have been experimenting with using it for home
cooked meals,mainly. For the recipes we have tried with yeast
we have been looking for repeatability of results. With this in mind we
created a timer that has more than one set of entries (in sets A-E) works
well enough for our modest needs.Each set can be tweaked
to different room temperatures ,(or whatever parameters you want to change).
Also I have used a thermometer in water to make sure it
is at desired temperature. We are looking into adding more functions
to make it even more useful for cooks.. Let me know you got any ideas of
what you would like to see, perhaps well can develope this further ??
"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:19:56 GMT
> "Jim Rutledge" > wrote:
>

>> It is also used as a reminder system to tell
>> the cooks when their yeast has risen,when dough
>> has doubled,and thousands of other uses. (Let's
>> you know when to check on the roast in oven, and
>> I could go on).

> These are things that timers are ill-suited to. How the heck does your
> timer know how much yeast i used, how fresh it was, what temperature of
> water i used, what the ambient temperature in my kitchen is, how well
> developed the gluten is, etc.

Jim Rutledge

Well, A good question. We have been experimenting with using it for home
cooked meals,mainly. For the recipes we have tried with yeast
we have been looking for repeatability of results. With this in mind we
created a timer that has more than one set of entries (in sets A-E) works
well enough for our modest needs.Each set can be tweaked
to different room temperatures ,(or whatever parameters you want to change).
Also I have used a thermometer in water to make sure it
is at desired temperature. We are looking into adding more functions
to make it even more useful for cooks.. Let me know you got any ideas of
what you would like to see, perhaps well can develope this further ??
"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:19:56 GMT
> "Jim Rutledge" > wrote:
>

>> It is also used as a reminder system to tell
>> the cooks when their yeast has risen,when dough
>> has doubled,and thousands of other uses. (Let's
>> you know when to check on the roast in oven, and
>> I could go on).

> These are things that timers are ill-suited to. How the heck does your
> timer know how much yeast i used, how fresh it was, what temperature of
> water i used, what the ambient temperature in my kitchen is, how well
> developed the gluten is, etc.

Eric Jorgensen

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:16:22 GMT
"Jim Rutledge" > wrote:

> Well, A good question. We have been experimenting with using it for home
> cooked meals,mainly. For the recipes we have tried with yeast
> we have been looking for repeatability of results. With this in mind we
> created a timer that has more than one set of entries (in sets A-E) works
> well enough for our modest needs.Each set can be tweaked
> to different room temperatures ,(or whatever parameters you want to
> change). Also I have used a thermometer in water to make sure it
> is at desired temperature. We are looking into adding more functions
> to make it even more useful for cooks.. Let me know you got any ideas of
>
> what you would like to see, perhaps well can develope this further ??

I'd like it to be water resistant, battery powered, no bigger than a
deck of cards, and have a strong magnet on the back, preferably neodymium.
Failing that, I'd like it integrated into the dial or bezel of an analog
wris****ch.

Seriously, these things are only repeatable under controlled conditions.
People who *have these controlled conditions quickly figure out how much
time to leave their dough in the proofer, for example, and just punch that
into their $5 battery powered timer, or rotate the bezel on their watch.

People who *don't have controlled conditions may for some reason get off
on punching variables into some gewgaw on the funny tv.

The only computer based timer application i personally wish i had was
something small and simple to time my tea at work. I make loose leaf tea at
my desk, and i'd like a gnome-compliant docklet app that increments 30
seconds every time i click on it, and gives me a visual (not audible)
annunciation when the time is up. I'm just too lazy to write it myself.

Your product is exactly like the advanced cooking features on my
microwave. I can *tell my microwave that I want to heat a frozen burrito,
but then it wants to know how big it is, how many there are, etc. Sometimes
it actually tells me to look in the manual. It's not worth it. I just fudge
it and give it an arbitrary amount of time based on an educated guess.

Eric Jorgensen

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:16:22 GMT
"Jim Rutledge" > wrote:

> Well, A good question. We have been experimenting with using it for home
> cooked meals,mainly. For the recipes we have tried with yeast
> we have been looking for repeatability of results. With this in mind we
> created a timer that has more than one set of entries (in sets A-E) works
> well enough for our modest needs.Each set can be tweaked
> to different room temperatures ,(or whatever parameters you want to
> change). Also I have used a thermometer in water to make sure it
> is at desired temperature. We are looking into adding more functions
> to make it even more useful for cooks.. Let me know you got any ideas of
>
> what you would like to see, perhaps well can develope this further ??

I'd like it to be water resistant, battery powered, no bigger than a
deck of cards, and have a strong magnet on the back, preferably neodymium.
Failing that, I'd like it integrated into the dial or bezel of an analog
wris****ch.

Seriously, these things are only repeatable under controlled conditions.
People who *have these controlled conditions quickly figure out how much
time to leave their dough in the proofer, for example, and just punch that
into their $5 battery powered timer, or rotate the bezel on their watch.

People who *don't have controlled conditions may for some reason get off
on punching variables into some gewgaw on the funny tv.

The only computer based timer application i personally wish i had was
something small and simple to time my tea at work. I make loose leaf tea at
my desk, and i'd like a gnome-compliant docklet app that increments 30
seconds every time i click on it, and gives me a visual (not audible)
annunciation when the time is up. I'm just too lazy to write it myself.

Your product is exactly like the advanced cooking features on my
microwave. I can *tell my microwave that I want to heat a frozen burrito,
but then it wants to know how big it is, how many there are, etc. Sometimes
it actually tells me to look in the manual. It's not worth it. I just fudge
it and give it an arbitrary amount of time based on an educated guess.

Mike Avery

Jim Rutledge wrote:

>Hi, HAPPY EASTER !!!
> We are developing the Eggs-Actor 3000 timer
>for the XP operation system just in time for Easter
>Season!!! It is designed as a timer for meal
>preperations, exercise workouts, and much much
>more!!

I have severe misgivings about computers in kitchens. They are hostile
environments, the air filled with flour dust, steam, grease, and other
unpleasant things.

I went to a local hardware/cookware store and found a nice timer that is
a clock and has 4 timers in it for about $15.00. It has a magnet so it
can stick to ferrous metals, and a clip so I can put it on a shirt
pocket or other areas. It's been in constant use for over a year, most
of that in a commercial bakery. I had to change its batteries once.

Also, if I leave the kitchen, I can take the timer with me, whether
that's to remind me that something needs to be checked, or so I can time
glue drying on a woodworking project.

I am reminded of one of Steve Ciarcia's comments when his column, "The
Circuit Cellar" was in Byte Magazine (and Byte was still being
published), "With enough programming skill, any $5,000 computer can be
made to imitate a $20.00 electronic gadget." Of course, computers are
cheaper now.

Mike

Mike Avery

Jim Rutledge wrote:

>Hi, HAPPY EASTER !!!
> We are developing the Eggs-Actor 3000 timer
>for the XP operation system just in time for Easter
>Season!!! It is designed as a timer for meal
>preperations, exercise workouts, and much much
>more!!

I have severe misgivings about computers in kitchens. They are hostile
environments, the air filled with flour dust, steam, grease, and other
unpleasant things.

I went to a local hardware/cookware store and found a nice timer that is
a clock and has 4 timers in it for about $15.00. It has a magnet so it
can stick to ferrous metals, and a clip so I can put it on a shirt
pocket or other areas. It's been in constant use for over a year, most
of that in a commercial bakery. I had to change its batteries once.

Also, if I leave the kitchen, I can take the timer with me, whether
that's to remind me that something needs to be checked, or so I can time
glue drying on a woodworking project.

I am reminded of one of Steve Ciarcia's comments when his column, "The
Circuit Cellar" was in Byte Magazine (and Byte was still being
published), "With enough programming skill, any $5,000 computer can be
made to imitate a $20.00 electronic gadget." Of course, computers are
cheaper now.

Mike

Serendip

On 3/26/2005 9:37 AM, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
<snip>
> The only computer based timer application i personally wish i had was
> something small and simple to time my tea at work. I make loose leaf tea at
> my desk, and i'd like a gnome-compliant docklet app that increments 30
> seconds every time i click on it, and gives me a visual (not audible)
> annunciation when the time is up. I'm just too lazy to write it myself.

I don't know about gnome-compliant, but have you tried the "Tea Timer"
you can download from the adagio site? Not quite what you want, but you
can create your own entries...

Eric Jorgensen

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:01:54 -0500
Serendip > wrote:

> On 3/26/2005 9:37 AM, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> <snip>
> > The only computer based timer application i personally wish i had
> > was
> > something small and simple to time my tea at work. I make loose leaf
> > tea at my desk, and i'd like a gnome-compliant docklet app that
> > increments 30 seconds every time i click on it, and gives me a visual
> > (not audible) annunciation when the time is up. I'm just too lazy to
> > write it myself.

> I don't know about gnome-compliant, but have you tried the "Tea Timer"
> you can download from the adagio site? Not quite what you want, but you
> can create your own entries...

Nope, I'd have to have a whole other computer up to run Windows on.
Eric Jorgensen

Serendip > wrote:

> On 3/26/2005 9:37 AM, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> <snip>
> > The only computer based timer application i personally wish i had
> > was
> > something small and simple to time my tea at work. I make loose leaf
> > tea at my desk, and i'd like a gnome-compliant docklet app that
> > increments 30 seconds every time i click on it, and gives me a visual
> > (not audible) annunciation when the time is up. I'm just too lazy to
> > write it myself.

> I don't know about gnome-compliant, but have you tried the "Tea Timer"
> you can download from the adagio site? Not quite what you want, but you
> can create your own entries...

Nope, I'd have to have a whole other computer up to run Windows on.
Jim Rutledge

Well its been a while since i wrote in linux , lately I have been doing
directx and Flash and PHP and all sorts of other web languages
I was thinking of putting a cartoon like bubble up when the messages
were played back. I didnt want it popping up when people were using Excel or
Cad package or whatever so I opted for having a
description of the step you were doing in the system tray ... I am sure
that there are alot of situations that this timer can't really be used for.
I have found quite a few now that I am sure glad I have it!!
here are a couple of other uses it can be put to .
You can setup your wave files or Text to Speech files to playback
randomly while you are out at work. Things like phones ringing ,
people talking, appliances starting up and running. You
tell it to startup on your workdays (say Sun, Mon, Tue,Wed ) .You
then run it thru whatever speakers you have setup. Great part of
an overall security system. Especially since it can be used for so much
more!! ~~ use it to playback your favorite quotes at Random
intervals throughout the day..Have fun with it , it's shareware and most
features will always be enabled , even if you don't chose to buy a copy...

Jim Rutledge

Yes. I solved the computer in kitchen problem by using a 20' length of
speaker wire . I have found when I am in kitchen I am usually cleaning it
floor, doing dishes ,putting stuff away, etc. almost constantly while I cook
my meals. Now I can just load in a program into the Eggs-Actor timer and
have it remind me to checkup on all the crucial things.
Like when I am cooking a roast for 3 1/2 hours . I would have it remind me
3 hours in , to check on it , 15 minutes later check it again,
and then at 3 1/2 hours . That way I won't let it get over cooked .
(it is easy to add or take time away from each step by the way )

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message
news:mailman.11.1111848307.218.rec.food.baking@mai l.otherwhen.com...
> Jim Rutledge wrote:
>
>>Hi, HAPPY EASTER !!!
>> We are developing the Eggs-Actor 3000 timer
>>for the XP operation system just in time for Easter
>>Season!!! It is designed as a timer for meal
>>preperations, exercise workouts, and much much
>>more!!
>>

> I have severe misgivings about computers in kitchens. They are hostile
> environments, the air filled with flour dust, steam, grease, and other
> unpleasant things.
> I went to a local hardware/cookware store and found a nice timer that is a
> clock and has 4 timers in it for about $15.00. It has a magnet so it can
> stick to ferrous metals, and a clip so I can put it on a shirt pocket or
> other areas. It's been in constant use for over a year, most of that in a
> commercial bakery. I had to change its batteries once.
>
> Also, if I leave the kitchen, I can take the timer with me, whether that's
> to remind me that something needs to be checked, or so I can time glue
> drying on a woodworking project.
>
> I am reminded of one of Steve Ciarcia's comments when his column, "The
> Circuit Cellar" was in Byte Magazine (and Byte was still being published),
> "With enough programming skill, any $5,000 computer can be made to imitate
> a $20.00 electronic gadget." Of course, computers are cheaper now.
>
> Mike

Jim Rutledge

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message
news:mailman.11.1111848307.218.rec.food.baking@mai l.otherwhen.com...
> Jim Rutledge wrote:
>
>>Hi, HAPPY EASTER !!!
>> We are developing the Eggs-Actor 3000 timer
>>for the XP operation system just in time for Easter
>>Season!!! It is designed as a timer for meal
>>preperations, exercise workouts, and much much
>>more!!
>>

> I have severe misgivings about computers in kitchens. They are hostile
> environments, the air filled with flour dust, steam, grease, and other
> unpleasant things.
> I went to a local hardware/cookware store and found a nice timer that is a
> clock and has 4 timers in it for about $15.00. It has a magnet so it can
> stick to ferrous metals, and a clip so I can put it on a shirt pocket or
> other areas. It's been in constant use for over a year, most of that in a
> commercial bakery. I had to change its batteries once.
>
> Also, if I leave the kitchen, I can take the timer with me, whether that's
> to remind me that something needs to be checked, or so I can time glue
> drying on a woodworking project.
>
> I am reminded of one of Steve Ciarcia's comments when his column, "The
> Circuit Cellar" was in Byte Magazine (and Byte was still being published),
> "With enough programming skill, any $5,000 computer can be made to imitate
> a $20.00 electronic gadget." Of course, computers are cheaper now.
>
> Mike

Jim Rutledge

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message
news:mailman.11.1111848307.218.rec.food.baking@mai l.otherwhen.com...
> Jim Rutledge wrote:
>
>>Hi, HAPPY EASTER !!!
>> We are developing the Eggs-Actor 3000 timer
>>for the XP operation system just in time for Easter
>>Season!!! It is designed as a timer for meal
>>preperations, exercise workouts, and much much
>>more!!
>>

> I have severe misgivings about computers in kitchens. They are hostile
> environments, the air filled with flour dust, steam, grease, and other
> unpleasant things.
> I went to a local hardware/cookware store and found a nice timer that is a
> clock and has 4 timers in it for about $15.00. It has a magnet so it can
> stick to ferrous metals, and a clip so I can put it on a shirt pocket or
> other areas. It's been in constant use for over a year, most of that in a
> commercial bakery. I had to change its batteries once.
>
> Also, if I leave the kitchen, I can take the timer with me, whether that's
> to remind me that something needs to be checked, or so I can time glue
> drying on a woodworking project.
>
> I am reminded of one of Steve Ciarcia's comments when his column, "The
> Circuit Cellar" was in Byte Magazine (and Byte was still being published),
> "With enough programming skill, any $5,000 computer can be made to imitate
> a $20.00 electronic gadget." Of course, computers are cheaper now.
>
> Mike

MBellerjeau

Hi, Mike. Your timer sounds good. Do you happen to have a brand name to
share?
Michelle

MBellerjeau

Hi, Mike. Your timer sounds good. Do you happen to have a brand name to
share?
Michelle

Mike Avery

MBellerjeau wrote:

>Hi, Mike. Your timer sounds good. Do you happen to have a brand name to
>share?

It's a Presto timer. Amazon has them for $9.99. I'm not pushing
Amazon, but here's a pointer to them which shows the timer.
http://tinyurl.com/dc3me

Mike

Mike Avery

MBellerjeau wrote:

>Hi, Mike. Your timer sounds good. Do you happen to have a brand name to
>share?

It's a Presto timer. Amazon has them for $9.99. I'm not pushing
Amazon, but here's a pointer to them which shows the timer.
http://tinyurl.com/dc3me

Mike

efmoya

I, too, wrote a simple timer for my own use that I've posted for others
to use. Your program sounds much more capable than mine but maybe some
will find mine useful, too.

This is a single 'channel' timer that dings when the time is up. I find
it very useful when I'm baking, or watering the lawn, or waiting for a
tv program. It has large numerals so it can be read across the room.

Take a look at http://moya.us/Examples/