Fool

Default How Do You Sift Brown Sugar?

I have never had much luck with sifting brown sugar. It's too wet.
Maybe that's because it's really just white sugar with molasses. The
best I can do is to push it through a seive with the back of a wooden
spoon. But it takes a long time and I can only do small amounts. Does
anyone have a better method?

Please Advise,
Fool
Henry!

> or you could always throw it away. Is it really worth all that effort?. I
> don't think so.
> Jim

Depends on what kind of brown sugar you talk about.
The Rolling Stones made a song about a particular kind of brown sugar that
is worth it. Pricewise.
--
Henry!
"Your shoes have got to match what colour guitar you're playing. I had this

(Fool) wrote:

> > > Why would you want to sift brown sugar?
> > >
> > > Yes, it is white sugar with molasses added. "True" brown sugar is
> > > cane sugar that doesn't have all the cane syrup removed. Molasses is
> > > cane syrup.
> > >
> > > You get the lumps out of it by breaking them up with a spoon (if
> > > they're soft lumps). If they're hard lumps, the general advice for
> > > dealing with those is to add a wedge of apple or a slice of bread to
> > > the bag for a day or so...the extra moisture will soften up the lump
> > > so that you can break it with a spoon. If you're in a hurry, I've had
> > > reasonable success with spraying the sugar lightly with water and
> > > putting it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds until the lump softens.
> > >

> > > jenn
> > > --
> > > Jenn Ridley
> > >

> > alternatively, if the brown sugar has hardened, you could run it across

> > cheese/vegetable shredder.

Jim

"Henry!" > wrote in message
> > or you could always throw it away. Is it really worth all that effort?.

> > don't think so.
> > Jim
> >

> Depends on what kind of brown sugar you talk about.
> The Rolling Stones made a song about a particular kind of brown sugar that
> is worth it. Pricewise.
> --
> Henry!
> "Your shoes have got to match what colour guitar you're playing. I had

this
> black guitar and I was going, 'Gem, I can't seem to dress with this
> guitar'."

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I know what you mean Henry, but I think we might be getting
off topic on that one.

Regards and laughing

Jim

Posted to rec.food.baking

This drives me mad as well! If I don't sieve it when making my carrot cake, it lumps in the cake and is rubbish!
So time consuming and frustrating!
Posted to rec.food.baking

wrote in message

>This drives me mad as well! If I don't sieve it when making my carrot cake,
>it lumps in the cake and is rubbish!
>So time consuming and frustrating!

3 months since your thread, so you may have Googled the answer. If I want to
convert say white regular granulated into confectioners or powdered sugar, I
use a blender. Do you have a stand-alone blender or one that attaches to a
food processor? If yes, the answer is to blend the quantity in several
batches i.e. cover the blades by 2 inches of sugar only.

I use the same technique, if I sieve brown sugar, in particular the sticky
stuff which maybe high in molasses. The only difference is, I add cornflour,
which will help it stop 'caking'. I use about 1 teaspoon per cup, rather
than 1 tablespoon, as suggested here :-
https://www.sugar.org/types-of-sugar/