Old 12-05-2004, 02:21 AM
Fool

Default How Do You Sift Brown Sugar?

I have never had much luck with sifting brown sugar. It's too wet.
Maybe that's because it's really just white sugar with molasses. The
best I can do is to push it through a seive with the back of a wooden
spoon. But it takes a long time and I can only do small amounts. Does
anyone have a better method?

Please Advise,
Fool

Old 12-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Henry!

or you could always throw it away. Is it really worth all that effort?. I
don't think so.
Jim

Depends on what kind of brown sugar you talk about.
The Rolling Stones made a song about a particular kind of brown sugar that
is worth it. Pricewise.
--
Henry!
"Your shoes have got to match what colour guitar you're playing. I had this

"Jim" a écrit dans le message de news:

"Peggy" wrote in message
"Jenn Ridley" wrote in message
(Fool) wrote:

I have never had much luck with sifting brown sugar. It's too wet.
Maybe that's because it's really just white sugar with molasses. The
best I can do is to push it through a seive with the back of a wooden
spoon. But it takes a long time and I can only do small amounts. Does
anyone have a better method?

Why would you want to sift brown sugar?

Yes, it is white sugar with molasses added. "True" brown sugar is
cane sugar that doesn't have all the cane syrup removed. Molasses is
cane syrup.

You get the lumps out of it by breaking them up with a spoon (if
they're soft lumps). If they're hard lumps, the general advice for
dealing with those is to add a wedge of apple or a slice of bread to
the bag for a day or so...the extra moisture will soften up the lump
so that you can break it with a spoon. If you're in a hurry, I've had
reasonable success with spraying the sugar lightly with water and
putting it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds until the lump softens.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

alternatively, if the brown sugar has hardened, you could run it across

cheese/vegetable shredder.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Jim

"Henry!" wrote in message
or you could always throw it away. Is it really worth all that effort?.

don't think so.
Jim

Depends on what kind of brown sugar you talk about.
The Rolling Stones made a song about a particular kind of brown sugar that
is worth it. Pricewise.
--
Henry!
"Your shoes have got to match what colour guitar you're playing. I had

this
black guitar and I was going, 'Gem, I can't seem to dress with this
guitar'."

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I know what you mean Henry, but I think we might be getting
off topic on that one.

Regards and laughing

Jim

Old 30-12-2017, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.baking

This drives me mad as well! If I don't sieve it when making my carrot cake, it lumps in the cake and is rubbish!
So time consuming and frustrating!