FoodBanter.com

-   -   begel toppings not sticking :( Arggh (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/566-begel-toppings-not-sticking.html)

Anton S. 11-05-2004 09:02 PM

begel toppings not sticking :( Arggh

I've been baking my own bagels for some time now, the results have
been great most of the time, except in one area, my toppings don't
stick to the bagel as well as the store baught variety (not that the
store baught ones are good by any means, but I like how the toppings
adhere).

I use an egg wash (egg white + a bit of cool water, beaten lightly).
After I boil my bagels, I let them cool a bit, apply egg wash, then
add toppings right before they hit the oven for 15 minutes or so.

Does anyone know a better way to do this? Any help would be greatly
appreciated...

Antwon

Petey the Wonder Dog 19-05-2004 09:50 PM

begel toppings not sticking :( Arggh

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
Applying bagel toppings...

>Does anyone know a better way to do this? Any help would be greatly
>appreciated...

The problem may be in the way you apply the toppings. The dough should
be pretty wet and sticky, and what I do is throw the bagel into a bowl
of the specific topping so it gets embedded in the dough. This is
especially important for heavier toppings, like granulated garlic.

Anton S. 20-05-2004 07:14 PM

begel toppings not sticking :( Arggh

So it would be better to top them right after I pull em from the
water, so they are still wet and the topping can set into the top
layer of dough?
Put my toppings in a bowl and press them into it. I'll give it a try.

In the past I have always waited until they have dried before I
applied the glaze and then topped them.

Thanks for the info.
Antwon