FoodBanter.com

-   -   Good books about bread baking? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/56400-good-books-about-bread.html)

[email protected] 12-03-2005 09:09 PM

Good books about bread baking?

I've recently taken up bread baking, and I'd love to find some good
recipe books, specifically ones that describe either French bread or
"batard" crusty loaf type things. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks!

LM

graham 13-03-2005 01:13 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've recently taken up bread baking, and I'd love to find some good
> recipe books, specifically ones that describe either French bread or
> "batard" crusty loaf type things. Can anyone recommend a good one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> LM

Go to:
http://planeguy.mine.nu/bread/faq_abr.php#89

These are the FAQs, a work in progress, for alt.bread.recipes. There is a
booklist.
HTH
Graham

MOMPEAGRAM 13-03-2005 01:54 AM

Baking With Julia

Marcella Peek 13-03-2005 02:24 AM

In article .com>,
wrote:

> I've recently taken up bread baking, and I'd love to find some good
> recipe books, specifically ones that describe either French bread or
> "batard" crusty loaf type things. Can anyone recommend a good one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> LM

I have really good luck with the Acme bread recipe in Artisan Baking
Across America by Maggie Glezer. It's a two day recipe but it's the one
that gets me bread closest to what I can buy at a good bakery. Not
hard, but overnight time for the sponge and such.

marcella

[email protected] 13-03-2005 05:12 AM

graham wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I've recently taken up bread baking, and I'd love to find some good
> > recipe books, specifically ones that describe either French bread

or
> > "batard" crusty loaf type things. Can anyone recommend a good one?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > LM
> >

> Go to:
> http://planeguy.mine.nu/bread/faq_abr.php#89
>
> These are the FAQs, a work in progress, for alt.bread.recipes. There

is a
> booklist.
> HTH
> Graham

Thanks! Sorry - I'm usually more scrupulous about checking FAQs.

LM

The Old Bear 13-03-2005 05:36 AM

writes:

>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>Subject: Good books about bread baking?
>Date: 12 Mar 2005 12:09:35 -0800
>
>I've recently taken up bread baking, and I'd love to find some good
>recipe books, specifically ones that describe either French bread or
>"batard" crusty loaf type things. Can anyone recommend a good one?

We just moved to a new house after 16 years in our old place. This
gave me a chance to round up my baking books into one place and do
a bibliography.

Among the titles below, I think you'll find several books which will
give you the information which you seek. A good place to start
might be Joe Ortiz' book "The Village Baker" which provides both
recipes and techniques.

A List of Books about Bread and Baking
--------------------------------------

America's Bread Book
Gubser, Mary
Quill / William Morrow
1985
0-688-11608-6

The Art of Fine Baking
Peck, Paula
Simon & Shuster
1961
0-67120-611-7

Artisan Baking across America
Glezer, Maggie
Artisan
2000
1-57965-117-8

Baba á Louis Bakery Bread Book
McLure, John
Chelsea Green
1993
0-9636892-0-7

Baglemania - The 'Hole' Story
Berman, Connie & Suzanne Munshower
HP Books
1987
0-89586-624-2

Bake Your Own Bread
Dworkin, Floss & Stan
Signet
1973

The Baker's Companion
King Arthur Flour
Countryman Press
2003
0-88150-581-1

The Baker's Manual
Amendola, Joseph & Nicole Rees
John Wiley & Sons
2003
0-471-40525-6

Baking Bread: Old and New Traditions
Hensperger, Beth
Chronicle Books
1992
0-8118-0228-0

Baking Bread: Recipes from Around the World
Ellison, Audrey
Quintet
1995
0-7858-0489-7

Beard on Bread
Beard, James
Alfred A. Knopf
1981
0-394-47345-0

Beautiful Breads
Morris Cookbooks
SchoolMate
2002

The Book of Bread
Assire, Jerome
Flammarion
1996
2-08013-625-9

Bread Machine Recipes
Publications International
Publications International
1999
0-7853-3865-9

Bread Winners
London, Mel
Rodale Press
1979
0-87857-269-4

Breadcraft
Schafer, Charles & Violet
Yerba Buena Press
1974
0-912738-04-9

Breads of the Southwest Hensperger, Beth
Chronicle Books
1997
0-8118-0973-0

Celebration Breads
Oppenheimer, Betsy
Simon & Schuster
2003
0-7432-2483-3

Classic Essential Breads and Rolls
Könemann
Könemann
1999
3-8290-1585-2

The Complete Bread Cookbook
Kaufman, Ted & Jean
Gramercy / Crown
1969

Cookbook of Breads
Editors of Sunset Magazine
Lane Books
1966

Cooking with Whole Grains
Orton, Mildred Ellen
Farrar, Strauss & Giroux
1971
0-3745-0936-0

Decorative Dough Craft
Langfeld, Lynne
Sterling Publishing
1996
0-8069-9739-7

Easy Baking plus Pasta
Burns, Claudia & Tom Lacalamita
Cookbook Resource USA
1992

English Bread and Yeast Cookery
David, Elizabeth
Biscuit Books
1980
0-9643600-0-4

Farm Journal's Homemade Bread (1969 edition)
Nichols, Nell B., ed.
Doubleday & Co.
1969

Farm Journal's Homemade Bread (1985 edition)
Miller, Alice Joy, ed.
Galahad Books
1985
0-88365-875-5

Favorite Breads from Rose Lane Farm
Roberts. Ada Lou
Hearthside Press
1960

Focaccia - Simple Breads from the Italian Oven
Field, Carol
Chronicle Books
1994
0-8116-0604-9

The Food Processor Bread Book
Editors of Consumers Guide
Publications International
1980
0-671-25138-4

Great Breads
Shulman, Martha Rose
Chapters Publishing
1995
1-881527-61-1

A Guide to Good Cooking with Five Roses Flour
Brodie, Jean & Pauline Harvey
Lake of the Woods
1954

Homemade Breads
Home Cooking Library
Modern Publishing
1985
0-87449-005-7

Larissa's Bread Book
Johnson-Coleman, Lorraine
Rutledge Hill Press
2001
1-55853-845-3

Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book
Robertson, Laurel
Random House
1984
0-394-53700-9

Natural Baking the Old-Fashioned Way
Pelton, Robert W.
A.S.Barnes & Co.
1973
0-498-01250-6

New Complete Book of Breads
Clayton, Bernard
Simon & Schuster
1987
0-671-60222-5

Our Daily Bread
Standard, Stella
Funk & Wagnalls
1970

Pita the Great
Habeeb, Virginia T.
Workman Press
1986
0-89480-039-6

Prairie Home Breads
Fertig, Judith M.
Harvard Commom Press
2001
1-55832-172-1

Secrets of a Jewish Baker
Greenstein, George
The Crossing Press
1993
0-89594-631-9

Sourdough Jack's Cookery & Other Things
Mabee, Jack
Osborn / Woods
1970

The Tassajara Bread Book
Brown, Edward Espe
Shambala
1970
0-87773-025-3

Uncle John's Original Bread Book
Braué, John Rahn
Exposition-Banner
1981
0-682-46876-2

Understanding Baking
Amendola, Joseph & Nicole Rees
John Wiley & Sons
2003
0-471-40546-9

Uprisings: The Whole Grain Bakers' Book
Whole Grain Educational Assn.
Uprisings Pub. Co.
1983
0-9611600-0-4

The Village Baker
Ortiz, Joe
Ten Speed Press
1993
0-89815-489-8

What You Knead
Esposito, Mary Ann
William Morrow
1997
0-688-15010-1

The World Encyclopedia of Bread and Break Making
Ingram, Christine & Jennie Shapter
Hermes House
2002
1-84309-141-0

A World of Breads
Casella, Dolores
David White Co.
1966

Yesterday's Bread
Lalli, Carole
Harper Perennial
1999
0-06-095314-4

Cheers,
The Old Bear

[email protected] 14-03-2005 01:11 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the books. I'm off to the bookstore. :)

LM (just baked a sweet egg bread with dried cranberries, sprinkled with
almonds - smells wonderful!)

Janet Bostwick 14-03-2005 03:09 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've recently taken up bread baking, and I'd love to find some good
> recipe books, specifically ones that describe either French bread or
> "batard" crusty loaf type things. Can anyone recommend a good one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> LM

There are techniques you will need to learn about to get to a good French
bread. There are two books that will give you all the information about how
the ingredients and technique work together to make bread. They are "The
Bread Bakers Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart and "Bread: A Baker's Book of
Technique and Recipes" by Jeffrey Hammelman. The recipes in both books
are very good and very well explained. I'd recommend getting one or both of
the books.

Come on over to alt.bread.recipes--we'd enjoy your company.
Janet

floydm 14-03-2005 04:01 AM

Bread Baker's Apprentice is my favorite.

I've got quite a few reviews over at:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/modules/...p?storytopic=2

More reviews coming soon.

-F

Monsur Fromage du Pollet 14-03-2005 04:19 AM

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I've recently taken up bread baking, and I'd love to find some
> > good recipe books, specifically ones that describe either French
> > bread or "batard" crusty loaf type things. Can anyone recommend a
> > good one?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > LM
> >

> There are techniques you will need to learn about to get to a good
> French bread. There are two books that will give you all the
> information about how the ingredients and technique work together to
> make bread. They are "The Bread Bakers Apprentice" by Peter
> Reinhart and "Bread: A Baker's Book of Technique and Recipes" by
> Jeffrey Hammelman. The recipes in both books are very good and
> very well explained. I'd recommend getting one or both of the
> books.
>
> Come on over to alt.bread.recipes--we'd enjoy your company.
> Janet

from http://www.robinhood.ca/
They have a nice bread tips and bread recipe selection.

Chunky Cheese Bread

If you’re a cheese lover, then this should be the next bread you bake. It
travels well, which means it’s perfect for picnics. It makes the flavour
of bacon and tomato sandwiches dance. And cut into thick slices, it
grills to perfection on your barbecue. Why not serve it instead of
hamburger buns at your next get-together?

Ingredients

1 tsp sugar 5 mL
1 1/2 cups water, warm 375 mL
1 envelope (8 g) active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp/11 mL) 1 envelope
1/3 cup oil 75 mL
1 tsp salt 5 mL
1 tsp Tabasco sauce 5 mL
1 egg, beaten 1
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated 125 mL
4 1/4 cups ROBIN HOOD Best For Bread Homestyle White Flour 1050 mL
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, cubed 375 mL

Preparation

DISSOLVE sugar in warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand
10 minutes, then stir well.

BEAT IN oil, salt, Tabasco and egg until smoothly blended. Add Parmesan
cheese.

STIR IN 2 cups (500 mL) Robin Hood Best For Bread Homestyle White Flour.
Beat well. Add more flour until mixture becomes too stiff to stir and
cleans sides of bowl. Turn out onto lightly floured board.

KNEAD dough, adding more flour as necessary to make a soft dough.
Continue kneading until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky
(about 10 minutes).

PLACE in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to grease top. Cover with
greased waxed paper and tea towel.

LET RISE in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled (45-60 minutes).

PUNCH DOWN. Turn out onto lightly floured board. Knead in the cheddar
cheese cubes until well distributed. Divide into 2 equal portions.

SHAPE each portion into a loaf. Place seam side down in 2 well greased 8
1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 3/4" (1.5 L ) loaf pans. Cover with tea towel.

LET RISE in warm place until dough rises 1 1/2" (3 cm) above top of pan
in centre and corners are filled (45-60 minutes).

BAKE at 375°F/190°C on lower oven rack for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from
pans immediately and cool on wire racks

QUICK NOTE:

This recipe makes 2 loaves. Try some of the following for variety:

Mini Cheese Loaves: Prepare as above, dividing dough into 6 portions.
Shape and bake in 5" x 2 1/2" x 2" (13 cm x 6 cm x 5 cm) loaf pans.
Reduce rising and baking time by approximately 10 minutes.

Mix in 1/2 lb (250 g) cooked and chopped bacon or ham with the cheese.
Add chopped green onions if desired.

NOTE: Grease pans very well with shortening as cheese tends to stick when
it melts.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

Cindy Fuller 14-03-2005 05:20 PM

In article >,
(The Old Bear) wrote:

writes:

> >Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
> >Subject: Good books about bread baking?
> >Date: 12 Mar 2005 12:09:35 -0800
> >
> >I've recently taken up bread baking, and I'd love to find some good
> >recipe books, specifically ones that describe either French bread or
> >"batard" crusty loaf type things. Can anyone recommend a good one?

> We just moved to a new house after 16 years in our old place. This
> gave me a chance to round up my baking books into one place and do
> a bibliography.
>
> Among the titles below, I think you'll find several books which will
> give you the information which you seek. A good place to start
> might be Joe Ortiz' book "The Village Baker" which provides both
> recipes and techniques.

[list of books snipped]

And I thought I had a lot of baking books! I would also add Bernard
Clayton's The Breads of France to the list. His directions are
meticulous (and lengthy), perfect for a novice at artisanal breads.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

graham 14-03-2005 08:40 PM

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (The Old Bear) wrote:
>>

> And I thought I had a lot of baking books! I would also add Bernard
> Clayton's The Breads of France to the list. His directions are
> meticulous (and lengthy), perfect for a novice at artisanal breads.
>
> Cindy

Except that he adds milk powder to many of the recipes that should be
straight dough.

Graham

Dee Randall 15-03-2005 12:04 PM

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> (The Old Bear) wrote:
>>>

>> And I thought I had a lot of baking books! I would also add Bernard
>> Clayton's The Breads of France to the list. His directions are
>> meticulous (and lengthy), perfect for a novice at artisanal breads.
>>
>> Cindy

> Except that he adds milk powder to many of the recipes that should be
> straight dough.
>
> Graham

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've noticed this in his recipes. I've often
wondered, "what gives here." Are there certain bakers that prefer bread
that calls for milk added as an ingredient, and it's that simple -- I don't
know.
Dee

Beth Kevles 15-03-2005 02:12 PM

Hi --

Can someone please explain why a bread dough would call for a small
amount of milk powder, and what the consequences would be for omitting
it? If milk isn't an option, what might one use instead for a similar
result? Or do you just have to live without a certain texture or other
end result?

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Jenn Ridley 15-03-2005 02:30 PM

(Beth Kevles) wrote:

>Hi --
>
>Can someone please explain why a bread dough would call for a small
>amount of milk powder, and what the consequences would be for omitting
>it? If milk isn't an option, what might one use instead for a similar
>result? Or do you just have to live without a certain texture or other
>end result?

According to my bread baking books, milk enhances flavor and increases
the nutritional value of the bread.

When I make bread from scratch (using my gramma's recipe), I use warm
milk, rather than warm water. I find that the texture is nicer that
way. Many bread machine recipes call for dry milk powder rather than
fluid milk simply for convenience.

really, the only way to find out if the bread will work (for whatever
value of "work" you want) without the milk powder is to try it.
--
Jenn Ridley :

graham 15-03-2005 03:46 PM

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
>>> In article >,
>>> (The Old Bear) wrote:
>>>>
>>> And I thought I had a lot of baking books! I would also add Bernard
>>> Clayton's The Breads of France to the list. His directions are
>>> meticulous (and lengthy), perfect for a novice at artisanal breads.
>>>
>>> Cindy

>> Except that he adds milk powder to many of the recipes that should be
>> straight dough.
>>
>> Graham

> I'm glad you mentioned this. I've noticed this in his recipes. I've
> often wondered, "what gives here." Are there certain bakers that prefer
> bread that calls for milk added as an ingredient, and it's that simple --
> I don't know.

Dee
These days I use milk or milk powder only where a recipe for an enriched
type of bread calls for it. I never use it in straight dough type breads.
I noticed, many years ago, that whenever I used it, it resulted in a fine,
even-textured crumb, which is OK if you are making a sandwich loaf but not
artisan-style breads. Can you imagine a baguette or a peasant-style miche
with the texture of wonder-bread?<g>
Graham

Janet Bostwick 15-03-2005 04:59 PM

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>>
>> "graham" > wrote in message

>>> Except that he adds milk powder to many of the recipes that should be
>>> straight dough.
>>>
>>> Graham

>> I'm glad you mentioned this. I've noticed this in his recipes. I've
>> often wondered, "what gives here." Are there certain bakers that prefer
>> bread that calls for milk added as an ingredient, and it's that simple --
>> I don't know.

> Dee
> These days I use milk or milk powder only where a recipe for an enriched
> type of bread calls for it. I never use it in straight dough type breads.
> I noticed, many years ago, that whenever I used it, it resulted in a fine,
> even-textured crumb, which is OK if you are making a sandwich loaf but
> not artisan-style breads. Can you imagine a baguette or a peasant-style
> miche with the texture of wonder-bread?<g>
> Graham

For many people, French bread is anything that comes in that long
shape--regardless of crumb texture or ingredients in the dough. Otherwise,
why would that grocery store 'French' bread that is available hot every
afternoon a 4 be so popular?
Janet

Dave Bell 15-03-2005 09:37 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> > not artisan-style breads. Can you imagine a baguette or a peasant-style
> > miche with the texture of wonder-bread?<g>
> > Graham
> >

> For many people, French bread is anything that comes in that long
> shape--regardless of crumb texture or ingredients in the dough. Otherwise,
> why would that grocery store 'French' bread that is available hot every
> afternoon a 4 be so popular?
> Janet

Well, there is the undeniable appeal of almost *any* truly fresh, warm
bread... Supermarket "french" bread is sort of like mass-market (American,
anyway) beer: A very carefully engineered, consistent product, and a good
representation of a style that, while I may not like it, many people do.

Dave

Eric Jorgensen 15-03-2005 10:24 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:37:41 -0800
Dave Bell > wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
> > > not artisan-style breads. Can you imagine a baguette or a
> > > peasant-style miche with the texture of wonder-bread?<g>
> > > Graham
> > >

> > For many people, French bread is anything that comes in that long
> > shape--regardless of crumb texture or ingredients in the dough.
> > Otherwise, why would that grocery store 'French' bread that is
> > available hot every afternoon a 4 be so popular?
> > Janet

> Well, there is the undeniable appeal of almost *any* truly fresh, warm
> bread... Supermarket "french" bread is sort of like mass-market
> (American, anyway) beer: A very carefully engineered, consistent product,
> and a good representation of a style that, while I may not like it, many
> people do.

Ahh, I fondly remember the first time i baked bread at a friend's house.

Tipped a loaf out of it's pan and went looking for a sharp, serrated
knife.

"What are you doing?! You can't cut bread right out of the oven!"

"Uh, I can't?"

"Yeah, it gets all mangled"

"What?"

"And it gets a weird texture when you store it."

"uhh?"

So i rolled it onto it's side and cut it into 3/4" thick slabs, steam
pouring out, and watched the whole loaf get buttered and devoured in about
2 minutes by the amazed onlookers.

Just placed my order for a 15"x20" Fibrament-D stone. Don't think I'll
be carting it around to show off my baking prowess with it, though.