Chris

Default Using frozen pie shell.

Awhile ago, I started a pie but only got as far as the shell. I froze
it (unbaked) and figured I could use it later. Well, later is
Tomorrow and the pie is Cherry.

Here are the questions:
1/ Do I thaw the thing first before filling,
2/ Do I prebake it then fill it, and
3/ DOES ANYONE HAVE A RECIPE FOR CHEERY PIE FILLING!!!

The final question might be most important.....

Thanks,
Chris
Vox Humana

"Chris" > wrote in message
om...
> Awhile ago, I started a pie but only got as far as the shell. I froze
> it (unbaked) and figured I could use it later. Well, later is
> Tomorrow and the pie is Cherry.
>
> Here are the questions:
> 1/ Do I thaw the thing first before filling,
> 2/ Do I prebake it then fill it, and
> 3/ DOES ANYONE HAVE A RECIPE FOR CHEERY PIE FILLING!!!
>
> The final question might be most important.....

You can use the crust right out of the freezer without any other
considerations. As Martha Stewart says "make them cold, bake them hot." I
often freeze my pie shells after lining the pie plate. It help prevent
shrinkage in the oven (or at least I believe that it does.)

I like to use Minute Tapioca as a thickening agent and like the following
recipe found on the package:

4 cups fresh pitted sour cherries (You can used canned or frozen cherries)
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp. MINUTE Tapioca
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 pkg. (15 oz.) refrigerated pie crust (you can use you own
crust)
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

MIX cherries, sugar, tapioca and almond extract in large bowl.
Let stand 15 minutes.
PREPARE pie crust as directed on package for 2-crust pie, using
9-inch pie plate. Fill with fruit mixture. Dot with butter. Cover with
second pie crust. Seal and flute edge. Cut several slits to permit steam to
escape.
BAKE at 400°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until juices form bubbles
that burst slowly. Cool.

George236

Question?

How much effort is it to make a new shell for a pie.

Probably best bet is to bake it from frozen, unfreezing may cause it turn
into mush.

To answer both the second and third question, experimentation is part of
the fun of cooking. Using a new recipe rarely turns out well the first
time, it takes practice.

George
<aaronsrod.grabafreebie.com/index.htm>

SPOONS

I would prebake the pie crust first then add the filling & here's a recipe
for cherry pie filling.

Take care,
SPOONS
My photo food log http://www.fotolog.net/giggles

Homemade Cherry Pie Filling

4 cups cherries, rinsed, stemmed and pitted
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1.. Combine cherries, sugar and lemon juice in a mixing bowl, stir and let
sit for at least 6 hours, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Drain off
and reserve cherry syrup.
2.. Combine a small amount of syrup to cornstarch to make a paste, then
whisk cornstarch paste back into syrup. Pour mixture into a saucepan and
cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the
drained cherries and almond extract.
3.. Cool, and store in sterilized, airtight jars or freeze in heavy
freezer bags.
Makes about 5 cups.