MOM PEAGRAM

Default Butter Tarts Collection (9)

> > > The other great Canadian sweet treat is Butter Tarts.
> >
> > Dave, do you have a good recipe for Butter Tarts? They are a favorite
> > of mine, but I've never made them.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Helen's Butter Tarts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Pastry

1 Pastry
-----FILLING-----
1 c Brown sugar
1 t Butter
1 t Flour
1 Egg
1 t Vanilla
1 pn Salt
1/2 c Nuts
1 t Water
1/2 c Raisins

1. Make pastry and line tart tin.
2. Cream butter, sugar and flour
3. Add egg and vanilla to creamed mix.
4. Add nuts, water and raisins.
5. Put mixture in pastry shells and bake at 400 for 15 to 20 min.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 212 Calories; 11g Fat (47.4% calories
from fat); 3g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 36mg Cholesterol;
267mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 2 Fat;
1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butter Tarts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canadian Dairy
Pies Tarts

1/4 c Butter
1/2 c Brown sugar -- packed
1/2 ts Vanilla
1 Egg
1/2 c Corn syrup
1/2 c Raisins -- or currants
12 Tart shells -- lined with
-pastry shells

"These tarts were the basis for Butter Tart Pie and Butter Tart
Squares which appeared in later decades. Another variation uses maple
syrup instead of corn syrup. ...Butter Tarts are uniquely Canadian.
There are theories whether they were adapted from southern pecan pie,
old-fashioned sugar pies, or maple syrup, backwoods or vinegar pies.
Squabbles arise whether or not the tarts should be runny or not, and
just how runny. Opinions differ about the use of syrup or sugar only,
eggs beaten or not, currants or raisins, and how the tart pans should
be filled."

In bowl, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat in egg and
corn syrup. Spoon raisins into tart shells; pour in the filling,
two-thirds full. Bake in 375F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until
lightly browned. MAKES: 12 TARTS

SOURCE: The 1st decade chapter in _A Century of Canadian Home
Cooking_ by Carol Ferguson and Marg Fraser

Original Poster Not Shown on File

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1431 Calories; 51g Fat (30.3%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 255g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 311mg
Cholesterol; 759mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 4 Fruit; 9 1/2 Fat; 13
Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butter Tarts 1

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canadian Dairy
Pies Tarts

1/4 c Raisins
16 Tart shells -- baked
1/4 c Butter -- soft
1/2 c Brown sugar -- lightly packed
1/2 c Corn syrup
1 Egg
1 t Vinegar
1 t Vanilla
Salt

Preheat oven to 400F. Sprinkle raisins evenly in baked shells. In
bowl, cream together butter and sugar; beat in corn syrup, egg,
vinegar, vanilla and salt. Pour into pastry shells, filling each 3/4s
full.

Bake in 400F oven for about 10 minutes or just till runny in centre.
Let cool in pan for 1 minute, remove to rack and let cool completely.

Makes 16 tarts. Source: FOOD magazine From: Jim Weller Date: 30 Dec 95

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 85 Calories; 3g Fat (31.4% calories
from fat); trace Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 19mg
Cholesterol; 47mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butter Tarts 2

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pies

1/4 c Butter -- softened
1 c Brown sugar
1 Extra large egg
1/8 ts Fresh lemon juice
1/2 c Currants
1 Batch pie pastry

Cream butter and brown sugar together. Beat in egg, lemon juice, and
currants. Continue beating until mixture bubbles. Roll out Basic Pie
Dough and cut rounds to fit 2-1/2" muffin tins. Line muffin tins with
pastry. Fill tart shells 2/3 full with currant mixture. Bake at 350
degrees for 20 minutes.

Recipe by: Elizabeth Powell

busted by H Peagram, converted by MM_Buster v2.0j.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 104 Calories; 4g Fat (36.2% calories
from fat); 1g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 31mg
Cholesterol; 50mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butter Tarts With Sour Cream Pastry

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pastry Pies

-----SOUR CREAM PASTRY-----
1 c Butter
1 1/2 c Flour
1/2 c Sour cream
-----BUTTER TARTS-----
24 Tart shells formed from Sour
-Cream Pastry OR 2 9" pie
-crusts from pastry
1 c White sugar
1 c Seedless raisins
2 Eggs
1 t Vanilla
1/3 c Butter
4 tb Cream or half-and-half
1/2 c Broken walnuts

FOR THE PASTRY:
Blend butter and flour until the consistency of coarse oatmeal. Add
sour cream and blend until pastry begins to cling together. Divide
doough in two balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4
hours or overnight. Let dough stand for about 5 minutes to remove the
chill and ease rolling; roll out on a lightly floured board or on a
pastry cloth. Fit into tart pans or pie pans.

FOR THE TARTS:
Beat eggs. Combine with remaining ingredients except nuts, and biol
at medium heat for 3 minutes. Add nuts. Fill unbaked tart shells and
bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees (F).

From the cook: "These butter tarts always had rave reviews. It was
handed to me by a next-door neighbor who grew up in Val D'Or, Quebec.
She used to look for me when I was walking home from school when she
freshly baked them. I loved these tarts. Unfortunately she passed
away a few years ago, but her daughter left me her recipe. She said
that her mother always enjoyed having me over after school for tarts
and milk, and she wanted to leave something behind for me to always
remember her by."

From Alonzo Bartley, student in Mechanical Engineering, SUNY/Buffalo,
in the 1998 Reporter recipe contest. Typed for you by Joan MacDiarmid.

From: Joan Macdiarmid Date: 16 Dec 98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 153 Calories; 12g Fat (67.3% calories
from fat); 2g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 45mg
Cholesterol; 112mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2
Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Canadian Butter Tarts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canadian Pies

60 ml Butter
120 ml Brown sugar -- packed
3 ml Vanilla
1 Egg
120 ml Corn syrup
120 ml Raisins -- or currants
12 Tart shells

"These tarts were the basis for Butter Tart Pie and Butter Tart
Squares which appeared in later decades. Another variation uses maple
syrup instead of corn syrup. ...Butter Tarts are uniquely Canadian.
There are theories whether they were adapted from southern pecan pie,
old-fashioned sugar pies, or maple syrup, backwoods or vinegar pies.
Squabbles arise whether or not the tarts should be runny or not, and
just how runny. Opinions differ about the use of syrup or sugar only,
eggs beaten or not, currants or raisins, and how the tart pans should
be filled."

In a bowl, cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat in egg and
corn syrup. Spoon raisins into tart shells; pour in the filling,
two-thirds full. Bake in 190 C oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until
lightly browned.

SOURCE: The 1st decade chapter in _A Century of Canadian Home Cooking_
From: Jim Weller Date: 01 Nov 98

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 121 Calories; 4g Fat (30.2% calories
from fat); 1g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 26mg
Cholesterol; 64mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 1 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Prize Winning Butter Tarts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pies Tarts

Pastry
1 1/2 c Flour
1/2 ts Baking powder
1/3 c Cold ice water
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 c Shortening

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 132 Calories; 9g Fat (59.0% calories
from fat); 2g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 109mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Runny Butter Tarts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canadian Pies
Tarts

1/4 c Raisins
16 Tart shells -- baked
1/4 c Butter -- soft
1/2 c Sugar -- brown, lightly packe
1/2 c Corn syrup
1 Egg
1 t Vinegar
1 t Vanilla
Salt

Preheat oven to 400F. Sprinkle raisins evenly in baked shells. In
bowl, cream together butter and sugar; beat in corn syrup, egg,
vinegar, vanilla and salt. Pour into pastry shells, filling each 3/4s
full.
Bake in 400F oven for about 10 minutes or just till runny in
centre. Let cool in pan for 1 minute, remove to rack and let cool
completely.
Makes 16 tarts. Source: FOOD magazine (now defunct)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1476 Calories; 51g Fat (29.1%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 270g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 311mg
Cholesterol; 730mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 2 Fruit; 9 1/2 Fat; 16
Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Traditional Butter Tarts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canadian Pies
Tarts

1/4 c To 1/2 cup raisins
12 Tart shells -- baked
1/4 c Butter -- softened, room temp
1/2 c Brown sugar
1/2 c Corn syrup
1 Egg
1 t Vinegar
1 t Vanilla
Salt

*** Do not try using margarine or shortening; only real butter will
do in this recipe.

Preheat oven to 400F. Spoon the raisins into the baked shells. Cream
together butter and sugar; beat in corn syrup, egg, vinegar, vanilla
and salt. Pour into pastry shells, filling each one 2/3 to 3/4 full.

Bake about 10 min. or just till runny in the centre. Let cool in the
pan for 1 min; remove to a rack and let cool completely.

Variations:

~1- Substitute currants or walnuts for a portion of the raisins. ~2-
Substitute maple syrup for corn syrup. ~3- Bake a few minutes longer
so that the centres become runny. ~4- Bake 15 to 20 min at 375. ~5-
Make 6 larger deep tarts in muffin pans and increase cooking
time accordingly.

A family recipe from Jim Weller.

From: (Local) Cooking & Recipes

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 104 Calories; 4g Fat (34.2% calories
from fat); trace Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 26mg
Cholesterol; 63mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 1 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Wayne Boatwright

"MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
:

> [...]

> Bake about 10 min. or just till runny in the centre. Let cool in the
> pan for 1 min; remove to a rack and let cool completely.
>
> Variations:
>
> ~1- Substitute currants or walnuts for a portion of the raisins. ~2-
> Substitute maple syrup for corn syrup. ~3- Bake a few minutes longer
> so that the centres become runny. ~4- Bake 15 to 20 min at 375. ~5-
> Make 6 larger deep tarts in muffin pans and increase cooking
> time accordingly.
>
> A family recipe from Jim Weller.
>
> From: (Local) Cooking & Recipes
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 104 Calories; 4g Fat (34.2%
> calories from fat); trace Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;
> 26mg Cholesterol; 63mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 1 Other

Wow, Helen, now I have a whole bunch to try! They all sound good and
will go directly to my recipe software. Butter tarts are one of my
favorites!

Wayne
MOM PEAGRAM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
> :
>

> Wow, Helen, now I have a whole bunch to try! They all sound good and
> will go directly to my recipe software. Butter tarts are one of my
> favorites!
>
> Wayne

Well, enjoy, Wayne, but not too much or you'll be in my shoes.... on
Weigh****chers! ; ))

Puester

MOM PEAGRAM wrote:

> > > Dave, do you have a good recipe for Butter Tarts? They are a favorite
> > > of mine, but I've never made them.

> * Exported from MasterCook *

Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.

gloria p
Julia Altshuler

Puester wrote:

> Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
> sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.

Look back to the purism part of this thread. Butter tarts have
currants. You may make some other sort of tart without them, but a
real, true, genuine, make no mistake, butter tart is made with currants.
All else is punishable by the Butter Tart God found in this household.

--Lia

qahtan

I would like to add this little bit of trivia about Butter Tarts.
When we visit our Daughter who lives about a good 1 1/2 hours drive away
in Cambridge,Ontario, we go past a truck stop sort of
coffee shop, and their specialty is Butter Tarts. They have a big notice
board outside which is updated weekly as to how many they have made.
Our last trip the total was just over 500.000 and that was 2 weeks ago.
I guess a lot of people like Butter Tarts, they do vary them some have
walnuts, some raisins some just plain butter stuff.
qahtan,, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario,

"MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in message

> [...]

> Bake about 10 min. or just till runny in the centre. Let cool in the
> pan for 1 min; remove to a rack and let cool completely.
>
> Variations:
>
> ~1- Substitute currants or walnuts for a portion of the raisins. ~2-
> Substitute maple syrup for corn syrup. ~3- Bake a few minutes longer
> so that the centres become runny. ~4- Bake 15 to 20 min at 375. ~5-
> Make 6 larger deep tarts in muffin pans and increase cooking
> time accordingly.
>
> A family recipe from Jim Weller.
>
> From: (Local) Cooking & Recipes
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 104 Calories; 4g Fat (34.2%

calories
> from fat); trace Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 26mg
> Cholesterol; 63mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 1 Other

Puester

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Puester wrote:
>
> > Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
> > sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.

> Look back to the purism part of this thread. Butter tarts have
> currants. You may make some other sort of tart without them, but a
> real, true, genuine, make no mistake, butter tart is made with currants.
> All else is punishable by the Butter Tart God found in this household.
>
> --Lia

Ick, I was afraid you'd say that.

:-(
gloria p
fresh~horses

Puester > wrote in message >...

> > * Exported from MasterCook *

> Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
> sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.
> gloria p

Salut Gloria

Leave them out if you prefer but the trad recipe has currants. Even
the raisins are a deviation. I make them with finely chopped walnuts.
Zee

From foodtv.ca

Caramel Butter Tarts
Yield: 8
Ingredients:

Crust
2 1/4 cups pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup lard or vegetable shortening
1 tsp lemon juice
1 egg
4 tbsp to 6 tbsp cold water

Filling
1 cup dried currants
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp white vinegar
dash cinnamon
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup maple syrup

Caramel Sauce
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp golden corn syrup
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
To Assemble
BUTTER TARTS: Preheat oven to 375° F. For pastry, combine flour and
salt and cut in lard until coarse and crumbly. Whisk lemon juice and
egg and mix into dough until it just comes together. Wrap and keep at
room temperature while preparing filling.

For filling, soak currants in hot water for 10 minutes and drain. Set
aside. Cream together butter and sugar and stir in eggs. Mix in
vanilla, vinegar and cinnamon. Whisk in corn syrup and maple syrup.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to just shy of ¼-inch
thick. Cut 6-inch rounds from pastry and line ungreased muffin tins,
pressing in to ensure pastry gets into corners. Sprinkle a few
currants in each shell and pour filling over, coming only halfway up.
Bake tarts for 18 to 22 minutes, until filling is set. Allow to cool
before removing from tin.

To serve, place butter tart on plate and drizzle with Caramel Sauce
(directions follow).

Butter tarts will keep up to a week in an airtight container (if they
last that long).

CARAMEL SAUCE: Bring sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice and water to a
boil over high heat in a covered heavy-bottomed saucepot. Do not stir!
Remove lid once boiling and let sugar cook, brushing sides of the pot
right against sugar with cool water once or twice, until an amber
colour. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in cream (watch out for
steam). Stir in butter and vanilla. Let cool for 20 minutes before
serving.

Caramel sauce can be prepared ahead and chilled until ready to serve.
Simply heat in microwave to warm. Carmel sauce will keep up to a week
refrigerated. Yield: approximately 1 1/2 cups.
MOM PEAGRAM

"Puester" > wrote in message

favorite

> > * Exported from MasterCook *

> Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
> sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.
>

> gloria p

It's entirely up to you what is added. Traditional butter tarts have
raisins. But... they would be good with pecans or walnuts or whatever you
decide to use.

MOM PEAGRAM

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Puester wrote:
>
> > Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
> > sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.

> Look back to the purism part of this thread. Butter tarts have
> currants. You may make some other sort of tart without them, but a
> real, true, genuine, make no mistake, butter tart is made with currants.
> All else is punishable by the Butter Tart God found in this household.
>

> --Lia

And I always thought it was raisins.

MOM PEAGRAM

"MisNomer" > wrote in message
> I am surprised by the corn syryp in most recipes posted here. My filling

recipe
> calls for 1 egg / 1 cup of brown sugar / 2 tablespoons butter / 1/2 tsp

vanilla
> and 1 cup of currents (rinsed and patted dry).
>
> take care
> Liz
>

> Hey! Look what Julia Altshuler > wrote :
>
> >Look back to the purism part of this thread. Butter tarts have
> >currants. You may make some other sort of tart without them, but a
> >real, true, genuine, make no mistake, butter tart is made with currants.
> > All else is punishable by the Butter Tart God found in this household.
> >

> >--Lia

Similar to mine. I posted a whole slew of recipes. Isn't amazing how many
variations there can be?

Wayne Boatwright

"MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> message . ..
>> "MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
>> :
>>

>> Wow, Helen, now I have a whole bunch to try! They all sound good and
>> will go directly to my recipe software. Butter tarts are one of my
>> favorites!
>>
>> Wayne

> Well, enjoy, Wayne, but not too much or you'll be in my shoes.... on
> Weigh****chers! ; ))

Ha! My SO and I were on WW from the day after last Thanksgiving until
about a month ago when he went through quadruple arterial bypass surgery.
We'll be getting back to WW in another couple of week. When I bake
things like this, I now have to give all but 1 serving away! (It's still
worth it just for the taste.)

Wayne

Puester

fresh~horses wrote:

> Puester > wrote in message >...
>
> > Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
> > sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.
> > gloria p

> Salut Gloria
>
> Leave them out if you prefer but the trad recipe has currants. Even
> the raisins are a deviation. I make them with finely chopped walnuts.
> Zee
>
> From foodtv.ca
>
> Caramel Butter Tarts
> Yield: 8
> Ingredients:

(recipe snipped)

Thanks!
That sounds delicious. I have saved the recipe to use
(with nuts, no currants)if we ever get off this low-carb diet.

:-(

gloria p
Wayne Boatwright

"MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
:

> favorite
>> >
>> > * Exported from MasterCook *

>> Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
>> sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.
>>

>> gloria p

> It's entirely up to you what is added. Traditional butter tarts have
> raisins. But... they would be good with pecans or walnuts or whatever
> you decide to use.

All the variations I've tasted were really very good, traditional or not,
but currants or raisins are the most traditional from what I've since
dredged up from "historical" searches. Pecans with this mixture would be
very nearly like a traditional Southern USian Pecan Pie! Also very good,
IMHO...

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

Puester > wrote in
:

> fresh~horses wrote:
>>
>> Puester > wrote in message
>>
>> > Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
>> > sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.
>> > gloria p

>> Salut Gloria
>>
>> Leave them out if you prefer but the trad recipe has currants. Even
>> the raisins are a deviation. I make them with finely chopped walnuts.
>> Zee
>>
>> From foodtv.ca
>>
>> Caramel Butter Tarts
>> Yield: 8
>> Ingredients:
>>

> (recipe snipped)
>

> Thanks!
> That sounds delicious. I have saved the recipe to use
> (with nuts, no currants)if we ever get off this low-carb diet.
>
>:-(
>
> gloria p

You'll get off it fast if you one of these! :-)

A friend who has been low-carbing for quite a while "jolts" herself about
every 3 months with 1 day of things like butter tarts, then goes strictly
back on Atkin's. She says it helps to restart the process.

Wayne

hahabogus

"MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
:

> "Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
>> Puester wrote:
>>
>> > Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
>> > sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.

>> Look back to the purism part of this thread. Butter tarts have
>> currants. You may make some other sort of tart without them, but a
>> real, true, genuine, make no mistake, butter tart is made with currants.
>> All else is punishable by the Butter Tart God found in this household.
>>

>> --Lia

> And I always thought it was raisins.

I felt the same way about the raisins...until I started soaking them in
cognac or rum to plump them up....makes a big of difference.

15 minutes sitting in a glass of cognac changes everything....even if it is
the raisins sitting.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
MOM PEAGRAM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> > message . ..
> >> "MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
> >> :
> >>

> >> Wow, Helen, now I have a whole bunch to try! They all sound good and
> >> will go directly to my recipe software. Butter tarts are one of my
> >> favorites!
> >>
> >> Wayne

> > Well, enjoy, Wayne, but not too much or you'll be in my shoes.... on
> > Weigh****chers! ; ))

> Ha! My SO and I were on WW from the day after last Thanksgiving until
> about a month ago when he went through quadruple arterial bypass surgery.
> We'll be getting back to WW in another couple of week. When I bake
> things like this, I now have to give all but 1 serving away! (It's still
> worth it just for the taste.)
>
> Wayne

You've better willpower than I! I'm doing ok with my breads, but butter
tarts? No way!

MOM PEAGRAM

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
> :

> > favorite

> >> Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
> >> sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.
> >>

> >> gloria p

> > It's entirely up to you what is added. Traditional butter tarts have
> > raisins. But... they would be good with pecans or walnuts or whatever
> > you decide to use.

> All the variations I've tasted were really very good, traditional or not,
> but currants or raisins are the most traditional from what I've since
> dredged up from "historical" searches. Pecans with this mixture would be
> very nearly like a traditional Southern USian Pecan Pie! Also very good,
> IMHO...
>
> Wayne

Yup!

MOM PEAGRAM

Now "that" is unusual!

"MisNomer" > wrote in message
> Yes! but looking through my recipe it makes 14 muffin size tarts...was

there
> ever a muffin pan that made 14?
>

> take care
> Liz
>

> Hey! Look what "MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote :
>
> >Similar to mine. I posted a whole slew of recipes. Isn't amazing how

many
> >variations there can be?

hahabogus

Puester > wrote in
:

>> * Exported from MasterCook *

> Do all butter tarts contain raisins or currants? "Butter tarts"
> sound delicious; raisins and currants do not.
>

> gloria p

There is 1 or 2 fixes for that.

First fix: is don't use the raisins or currants ...treat them as optional.

Second: soak those pesky criters in brandy or rum for 15 minutes before
use. This totally changes their texture and taste.

Third: Replace them with either chopped pecans or chopped walnuts.

Lemon Butter Tarts Nicky Cottee Baking 2 08-06-2009 10:01 AM
Lemon Butter Tarts Nicky Cottee Baking 0 02-04-2009 11:12 PM
Lemon Butter Tarts Nicky Cottee Chocolate 0 02-04-2009 11:11 PM
Butter Tarts Collection (9) PENMART01 General Cooking 6 06-05-2004 11:43 PM
Butter Tarts (8) Collection MOM PEAGRAM Recipes (moderated) 0 03-05-2004 01:27 PM