michael

Default 7 hr. Proof!!!

Last night I baked off 5 8lb batches of dough (2 ciabatta, 5
baguette). This morning I discovered three forgotten baguettes still in
the proofer (read: microwave). They had not collapsed and baked off
just fine. ?!?!?

I know that hi-gluten flour provides more latitude but, 7 hrs ?!?!

The baguette dough was started form 3.5 flour at 85% hydration or
about 3 lb of water and 1 teaspoon of instant yeast.
Roy Basan

"michael" > wrote in message >.. .
> Last night I baked off 5 8lb batches of dough (2 ciabatta, 5
> baguette). This morning I discovered three forgotten baguettes still in
> the proofer (read: microwave). They had not collapsed and baked off
> just fine. ?!?!?
>
> I know that hi-gluten flour provides more latitude but, 7 hrs ?!?!
>
> The baguette dough was started form 3.5 flour at 85% hydration or
> about 3 lb of water and 1 teaspoon of instant yeast.

Not a big deal. some version of san francisco sourdough are proofed
for 8 hours.
And many sweet dough varieties are proofed as long or even more.
iIf you travel to Asia , and visit some bakeries there. They mould
their bread at 9 PM and bake it at 5 am.
There are even breads there that are proofed fro 24 hours.
Roy
Roy
michael

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:00:06 -0700, Roy Basan wrote:

> Not a big deal.

Well yea, but a 400% volumn increase?!? Anyway just thought I'd share.

Virginia Tadrzynski

"michael" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:00:06 -0700, Roy Basan wrote:
>
> > Not a big deal.

> Well yea, but a 400% volumn increase?!? Anyway just thought I'd share.

nothing like 'light and airy'
-Ginny