Mary Fisher

Default Sapphire cake

Hello, I'm new here and in UK.

We're celebrating our sapphire anniversary at Easter and I want to make a
square sapphire cake - like a cut sapphire with a sparkly blue finish. I've
already got the necessary decorations and ingredients.

I have two questions:

Does anyone know where I can find an easy to follow guide for cutting the
angles as on a real sapphire? I know there are different cuts but can't find
a picture big enough for any of them.

If anyone can suggest an alternative yet simple cake decoration I'm willing
to consider it. It has to travel a long way and won't be able to be
specially treated because there will be a lot of other stuff in our car.

Since there will also be children at this event (an Eostre gathering of
Vikings in a dark age village) I'm trying to think of appropriate small
favours for them. I'd like to make biscuits with edible blue 'glass' inserts
but can't seem to find anything acceptable. If I make a hard transparent
candy what could I use to colour it?

Mary