Bob Pastorio

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>
>>*non food groups snecked*
>>
>>Vox Humana wrote:
>>
>>>"Dimitri" > wrote in message
y.com...

> 3/4

> (the

> and

>>>I understand that part. I just question why Brian claims that the can

> has
>
>>>to be completely submerged.

>>So it doesn't explode because the contents overheat, just like Dimitri
>>explained. A can by its nature is a sealed container--i.e., it will
>>become a pressure cooker.
>>
>>Surrounding it with water that _cannot_, under normal pressure, ever
>>exceed the boiling point at that pressure alleviates that concern.
>>
>>Of course, there are some people who wish to demonstrate evolution in
>>action....

> The procedure that I posted said to bring the water up 3/4 of the way on the
> can. I don't see how leaving the TOP 1/4 of the can exposed to the
> atmosphere which is going to be far cooler than 212F will cause the can to
> overheat. I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I can't think of any
> reason why you would be right. I can see how the contents of the can might
> not cook evenly if isn't fully covered, but that is the opposite of having
> the can explode.

I don't think it's about exploding. I think it's to make sure that the
whole can is cooked. Sweetened condensed milk is thick and would have
very little convection activity inside the can. That would mean that
the top of the can being cooler, it would cook differently than the rest.

In any event, I've done it dozens of times both stovetop and in a
crockpot. Worked fine every time.

Pastorio.

Bob Pastorio

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
> heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
> thread. I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
> milk in the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea. One of the brands
> has even started printing warnings on the label.

Julia, this is a standard method of making dulce de leche. It's been
around for almost as long as sweetened condensed milk has. People got
the idea that heating it in the can makes caramelized milk by doing it
and getting caramelized milk.

It works and it works well.

Pastorio

> Vox Humana wrote:
>
>> The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of
>> sweetened
>> condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4
>> the way
>> up the can. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Let cool
>> completely before opening. You can turn the can over after 30 minutes.
>> Store in a jar or plastic container. It should keep for a couple of
>> weeks
>> in the refrigerator, maybe more
>>
>> A quicker method is to use a pressure cooker. Cook at pressure for 30
>> minutes -- 45 minutes if you want it darker.

Blanche Nonken

"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> That all makes sense to me.

Or, if you're the patient sort, buy a few cans every year. About five
or ten years down the road, the first ones you bought should have
reached that state on their own.

(Just opened a 6 year old tin of SCM for my coffee - it was darkened and
thick. The longer it sits, the better. :-))
Vox Humana

"Blanche Nonken" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>

> > That all makes sense to me.
> >

> Or, if you're the patient sort, buy a few cans every year. About five
> or ten years down the road, the first ones you bought should have
> reached that state on their own.
>
> (Just opened a 6 year old tin of SCM for my coffee - it was darkened and
> thick. The longer it sits, the better. :-))

I had that happen to me once. I don't use much SCM and when I opened an old
can it was dark. I threw it away thinking it was spoiled!

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:15:45 GMT, Blanche Nonken >
wrote:

>"Vox Humana" > wrote:
>

>> That all makes sense to me.
>>

>Or, if you're the patient sort, buy a few cans every year. About five
>or ten years down the road, the first ones you bought should have
>reached that state on their own.
>
>(Just opened a 6 year old tin of SCM for my coffee - it was darkened and
>thick. The longer it sits, the better. :-))

And you don't even live in a warm climate! Imagine how quickly that
would work for me?

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davida @ jdc . org . il>
Marilyn©

In ,
Vox Humana > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> "Blanche Nonken" > wrote in message
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>>

>>> That all makes sense to me.
>>>

>> Or, if you're the patient sort, buy a few cans every year. About
>> five
>> or ten years down the road, the first ones you bought should have
>> reached that state on their own.
>>
>> (Just opened a 6 year old tin of SCM for my coffee - it was darkened
>> and thick. The longer it sits, the better. :-))

> I had that happen to me once. I don't use much SCM and when I opened
> an old can it was dark. I threw it away thinking it was spoiled!

All this talk now has me wanting to open the can that's been sitting in my cupboard for
years and years (I think it got bought by mistake, probably by my spouse who thought he
was buying evaporated milk).

--
Marilyn
-----------

Bill

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> > > Water under normal pressure conditions will not exceed 212 degrees (the
> > > boiling point). The water prevents the contents from getting too hot and
> > > exploding the can.
> > >
> > > Dimitri

> > I understand that part. I just question why Brian claims that the can has
> > to be completely submerged.

> Much cross posting snipped
> Only thing I can think of is even cooking of the contents. If the can is
> out of the water, it will be exposed to steam at 212, but no higher. I
> don't see how else the contents would be affected. Am I missing something?
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

The bottom of the can that is in contact with the pan will be exposed to temps
somewhat higher than 212 degrees. As water is a better conductor of heat than
steam the more water that is in contact with the can the less likely it is the
contents of the can will exceed 212 degress and get anywhere near its boiling
point.

Mike Stith

If you use a pressure cooker, you need to reduce the cooking
time...15-20 minutes is a plenty. Any more than that and you'll
probably overcook it.

zxcvbob wrote:
> Vox Humana wrote:
> > I can see how the contents of the can might

>> not cook evenly if isn't fully covered, but that is the opposite of
>> having
>> the can explode.
>>

> Making sure the can is fully submerged doesn't do anything except give
> you more water in the pot so it takes longer to boil dry while you're
> not watching it.
>
> It's a harmless but needless precaution. Just like sterilizing your
> jars before you fill them when you're gonna pressure-can them anyway.
>
> I think pressure cooking several unopened cans at once for an hour at 15
> pounds makes sense; the extra cans can be stored on the shelf ready-to-use.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Mike Stith

How do you think non-acidic foods such as meats and fish are "canned"??
They're loaded into giant pressure cookers for processing.

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
> heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
> thread. I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
> milk in the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea. One of the brands
> has even started printing warnings on the label.
>
> And while I'm at admonitions, why the unrelated cross posts? (I erased
> them.)
>
> --Lia
>

> Vox Humana wrote:
>
>> The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of
>> sweetened
>> condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4
>> the way
>> up the can. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Let cool
>> completely before opening. You can turn the can over after 30 minutes.
>> Store in a jar or plastic container. It should keep for a couple of
>> weeks
>> in the refrigerator, maybe more
>>
>> A quicker method is to use a pressure cooker. Cook at pressure for 30
>> minutes -- 45 minutes if you want it darker.

qahtan

You have to simmer it for about 4 hours to get it the right colour. 1 hour
will hardly do anything. but keep the can covered, you can do many all at
once, qahtan

"JOAT" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make caramel or Dulce De Leche?
> And tips on how to store it in jars or cans?

zxcvbob

Mike Stith wrote:
> How do you think non-acidic foods such as meats and fish are "canned"??
> They're loaded into giant pressure cookers for processing.

Yes, but when do they crimp on the lids? I have some old canning books
that deal with using metal cans. I'll look it up tonight, but I think the
lids are crimped after they come out of the autoclave.

Bob

Doug Miller

Folks, please trim your headers before replying, to remove irrelevant groups.
This thread is cross-posted into rec.woodworking and rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
where it is obviously off-topic.

Thanks.

In article >, "qahtan"
> wrote:
> You have to simmer it for about 4 hours to get it the right colour. 1 hour
>will hardly do anything. but keep the can covered, you can do many all at
>once, qahtan
>

>"JOAT" > wrote in message
. com...
>> Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make caramel or Dulce De Leche?
>> And tips on how to store it in jars or cans?

Mike Stith

The lids are put on before they're processed.

zxcvbob wrote:
> Mike Stith wrote:
>
>> How do you think non-acidic foods such as meats and fish are
>> "canned"?? They're loaded into giant pressure cookers for processing.
>>

> Yes, but when do they crimp on the lids? I have some old canning books
> that deal with using metal cans. I'll look it up tonight, but I think
> the lids are crimped after they come out of the autoclave.
>
> Bob

Leicaddict

"qahtan" > wrote in message > ...
> You have to simmer it for about 4 hours to get it the right colour. 1 hour
> will hardly do anything. but keep the can covered, you can do many all at
> once, qahtan

They do sell it already made in the can. It costs about 3 bucks a can.

HEB Dulce De Leche Ice Cream le k00k General Cooking 0 21-08-2013 04:56 PM
Dulce de Leche Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-08-2005 01:52 PM
Dulce De Leche recipe and storage JOAT General Cooking 68 27-10-2003 11:32 AM
Dulce De Leche recipe and storage JOAT Preserving 55 27-10-2003 11:32 AM