Old 21-10-2003, 01:16 AM
zxcvbob

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

Vox Humana wrote:
I can see how the contents of the can might
not cook evenly if isn't fully covered, but that is the opposite of having
the can explode.

Making sure the can is fully submerged doesn't do anything except give you
more water in the pot so it takes longer to boil dry while you're not
watching it.

It's a harmless but needless precaution. Just like sterilizing your jars
before you fill them when you're gonna pressure-can them anyway.

I think pressure cooking several unopened cans at once for an hour at 15
pounds makes sense; the extra cans can be stored on the shelf ready-to-use.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 21-10-2003, 01:34 AM
William Graham

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
news

"Brian Mailman" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:

The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of

sweetened
condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4

the
way
up the can.

That's an easy way to make an explosion.

Add water to completely cover the can AT ALL TIMES by at least 2". Do
not answer the phone while this is going on. Do not answer the door.
Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Making this is safe, but it does need to be watched, do not allow the
can to 'surface' in the water at any time.

B/

Why does covering the can make it safer?

I don't think covering the can is necessary....But you don't want to run out
of water, so put the can in a large pot with lots of water, and watch it so
you don't forget it....If you run out of water it will explode....As long as
there's plenty of water, the contents of the can won't boil because they are
under slightly higher pressure, and the water in your pot won't go over
boiling at normal atmospheric pressure, so it's safe.....

Old 21-10-2003, 02:17 AM
Vox Humana

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:
I can see how the contents of the can might
not cook evenly if isn't fully covered, but that is the opposite of

having
the can explode.

Making sure the can is fully submerged doesn't do anything except give you
more water in the pot so it takes longer to boil dry while you're not
watching it.

It's a harmless but needless precaution. Just like sterilizing your jars
before you fill them when you're gonna pressure-can them anyway.

I think pressure cooking several unopened cans at once for an hour at 15
pounds makes sense; the extra cans can be stored on the shelf

ready-to-use.

Best regards,
Bob

That all makes sense to me.

Old 21-10-2003, 02:19 AM
Vox Humana

"William Graham" wrote in message
news:za%[email protected]

Vox Humana wrote:

[...]

The reason then is to have more water as insurance against boiling the pan
dry. That makes sense, but is a different matter than "the can will explode
if it isn't fully submerged."

Old 21-10-2003, 02:29 AM
Julia Altshuler

Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
thread. I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
milk in the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea. One of the brands
has even started printing warnings on the label.

And while I'm at admonitions, why the unrelated cross posts? (I erased
them.)

--Lia

Vox Humana wrote:

The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of sweetened
condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4 the way
up the can. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Let cool
completely before opening. You can turn the can over after 30 minutes.
Store in a jar or plastic container. It should keep for a couple of weeks
in the refrigerator, maybe more

A quicker method is to use a pressure cooker. Cook at pressure for 30
minutes -- 45 minutes if you want it darker.

Old 21-10-2003, 02:38 AM
LIMEYNO1

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Dulce De Leche
Recipe By:
Category: Dairy
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 4 Serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
1 qt Whole milk*
2 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Baking soda
pinch Cinnamon

[Preparation]
This recipe is adapted from an article which appeared in the
daily New York Times. Dulce de leche (pronounced DOOL-say duh
LAY-chay) meaning "sweet from milk." Is an Hispanic term for a
caramel sauce, which is a traditional flavoring "south of the
border" and has been adopted recently as an ice-cream flavoring
in America. The flavoring is made by simmering sweetened milk
until it turns thick and amber. Reprinted here are a recipe for
the basic sauce as well as two recipes using this flavoring. A
note at the bottom of the page explains alternate methods for
creating or purchasing dulce de leche should you choose to sprint
to the final desists, skipping the creation of dulce de leche
from scratch.

Combine ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Place over medium
heat and cook without stirring until mixture boils, 15 to 20
minutes. Briefly remove from heat. Reduce heat to low and cook,
stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, 45 minutes to one hour.
When mixture becomes a caramel color and is thick enough that you
can see the bottom of the pan as you stir, remove it from heat.
Use at room temperature or cover and refrigerate. Yield: 2 cups.
From: "Jacqui{jb}" [email protected]: Wed, 27 Feb 2002
13:06:49 +0000 ( MM by H Peagram

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/205/145
"JOAT" wrote in message
om...
Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make caramel or Dulce De Leche?
And tips on how to store it in jars or cans?

Old 21-10-2003, 02:49 AM
zxcvbob

Julia Altshuler wrote:
Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
thread.

You've heard too many apocryphal stories about exploding cans of beans in
the campfire and think it's an apt analogy (it's not).

I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed milk in
the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea.

Why is it a bad idea?

One of the brands has even started printing warnings on the label.

Which brand is that?

Best regards,
Bob

Old 21-10-2003, 02:50 AM
Vox Humana

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
news:q_%[email protected]
Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
thread. I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
milk in the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea. One of the brands
has even started printing warnings on the label.

People have gotten the idea from all the thousands of other people who do
this. I can assure you that it does make Dulce De Leche. There is a new
book out that lists a lot of ridiculous warnings that are printed on labels.
The danger in heating a can in simmering water is in letting the pan boil
dry. That is a danger if you are boiling peas or rice, not just a can of
sweetened condensed milk. There is some danger in cooking. You can get
burnt or cut. You can start a fire or get electrocuted. People who can't
supervise the pan shouldn't use this technique. If you want to induce panic
among the uninitiated, just tell someone that you intend to use a pressure
cooker!!! I suppose the idea of putting a can inside the pressure cooker is
way too much for most people to deal with.

Old 21-10-2003, 02:58 AM
Brian Mailman

Julia Altshuler wrote:

...I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
milk in the can makes caramel,

Because it does. With proper precautions, it's spectularly easy.

B/

Old 21-10-2003, 03:00 AM
Brian Mailman

Vox Humana wrote:

(snip)

Please tell us how it works out.

B/
Old 21-10-2003, 03:01 AM
BOB

zxcvbob typed:
Julia Altshuler wrote:
Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
thread.

You've heard too many apocryphal stories about exploding cans of beans in
the campfire and think it's an apt analogy (it's not).

I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed milk in
the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea.

Why is it a bad idea?

One of the brands has even started printing warnings on the label.

Which brand is that?

I don't remember, but I read it recently. I removed the label and threw it
away before anyone else read it. It didn't stop me from putting 3 cans in
the pot.

I think it's a CYA just in case someone lets the pan boil dry. Corporate
lawyers and all that.

BOB

Best regards,
Bob

Old 21-10-2003, 03:06 AM
Vox Humana

" BOB" wrote in message
.. .
zxcvbob typed:
Julia Altshuler wrote:
[...]

Yes, just like the CYA label on superhero Halloween costumes that say
something like "wearing this garment doesn't enable you to fly."

Old 21-10-2003, 03:09 AM
BOB

zxcvbob typed:
Julia Altshuler wrote:
Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
thread.

You've heard too many apocryphal stories about exploding cans of beans in
the campfire and think it's an apt analogy (it's not).

I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed milk in
the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea.

Why is it a bad idea?

One of the brands has even started printing warnings on the label.

Which brand is that?

I just checked...it's "Magnolia" by Borden. I'll bet Eagle has the warning
"Caution-Never heat unopened can." I'm still not going to stop something my
Great Aunt taught me when I was knee-high to a grasshopper just 'cause some
corporate lawyer can't watch it when he tries without letting the pan boil
dry.

BOB
Never knew it had such a fancy sounding name, though

Old 21-10-2003, 03:11 AM
BOB

Vox Humana typed:
" BOB" wrote...
zxcvbob typed:
Julia Altshuler wrote:
[...]

You have *GOT* to be kidding me...no, in today's world, I'll believe it.

BOB

HEB Dulce De Leche Ice Cream le k00k General Cooking 0 21-08-2013 04:56 PM
Dulce de Leche Duckie Recipes 0 08-08-2005 01:52 PM
Dulce De Leche recipe and storage JOAT General Cooking 68 27-10-2003 10:32 AM
Dulce De Leche recipe and storage JOAT Preserving 55 27-10-2003 10:32 AM