fivsonsmom

Default Need help with disastrous bread result

Hello, I am a newbie to this group. I appologize in advance for the
length of this post, but I don't know how to ask the questions without
telling everything.

I would appreciate very much if somone could help me with a problem
making bread with my breadmaker. It is a Welbilt ABM 6000, and before
last night, I had made two loaves with it that came out fine. Last
night was my first attempt to make a batch using a recipe as opposed to
a mix. It did not turn out well, lol. In fact, it didn't rise hardly at
all, and ended up being about a half inch tall. There is a lot of humor
to be seen in this, but for the long haul, I would like to be able to do
it right the next time.

This is the recipe I was using: (my explanation of what happened along
the way comes after the recipe)

--------------------------------
Ciabatta Bread

1 1/2 cups water

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 tablespoon olive oil

3 1/4 cups bread flour

1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

2 loaves 3 hours 30 minutes 2 hr 0 mins prep

1. Place ingredients into the pan of the bread machine in the order
suggested by the manufacturer.

2. Select the Dough cycle, and Start.

3. Dough will be quite sticky and wet once cycle is completed, resist
the temptation to add more flour.

4. Place dough on a lightly floured board, cover with a large bowl, and
let rest for 15 minutes.

5. Lightly flour or use parchment lined baking sheets.

6. Divide into 2 pieces, and form each into a 13x14 inch oval.

7. Place loaves on prepared sheets, dimple surface, and lightly flour.

8. Cover, and let rise in a draft free place for approximately 45 minutes.

9. Preheat oven to 425 degres F.

10. Dimple dough for a second time, and then place loaves in the oven,
positioned on the middle rack.

11. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

12. During baking, spritz loaves with water every 5 to 10 minutes for a
crispier crust.

--------------------------
I put the ingredients in the machine in this order: bread machine yeast,
bread flour, sugar, salt, olive oil, water. When I went to spread it
out after it's time in the machine, it was very, very sticky. I didn't
add any flour to it, but had some difficulty spreading it out, and even
getting it out of the machine intact. I don't currently have a real
"board" to use, so I used a plastic cutting board, lightly floured.
When I went to form it into loaves, it was still very sticky, and the
loaves were more like 10 x 14 due to the shape of the cookie sheet I was
putting them on. Was this a problem? I covered them with baking pans
and let them rise on top of my oven, thinking this would be a warmer
place to do it, and would help it rise. It sure didn't seem to rise a
whole lot. When it says "Dimple" I assume that means touch it allover
lightly? Maybe this was the problem? Anyway, when it was done, it
looked a whole lot more like a cracker on steroids than bread. I would
really appreciate any help you can offer, thanks in advance.

Peggy

Vox Humana

"fivsonsmom" > wrote in message
. com...
> [...]
> add any flour to it, but had some difficulty spreading it out, and even
> getting it out of the machine intact. I don't currently have a real
> "board" to use, so I used a plastic cutting board, lightly floured.
> When I went to form it into loaves, it was still very sticky, and the
> loaves were more like 10 x 14 due to the shape of the cookie sheet I was
> putting them on. Was this a problem? I covered them with baking pans
> and let them rise on top of my oven, thinking this would be a warmer
> place to do it, and would help it rise. It sure didn't seem to rise a
> whole lot. When it says "Dimple" I assume that means touch it allover
> lightly? Maybe this was the problem? Anyway, when it was done, it
> looked a whole lot more like a cracker on steroids than bread. I would
> really appreciate any help you can offer, thanks in advance.

Cibatta is a very sticky dough. It isn't suppose to puff up like a loaf of
Wonder Bread, but 1/2 inch isn't right either. I would say that one of
two things happened. You didn't let it rise long enough or the yeast was
bad. What I don't understand is that in nearly every bread recipe I have
seen it says something like this" "Let rise in a warm, draft-free place for
about 90 minutes or until double in bulk." The time is just a suggestion
based on the author's experience in his situation. You have to let it rise
sufficiently no matter how long it takes. If after a reasonable amount of
time, say three or four hours at room temperature, the dough has not risen,
then the yeast is dead. I would get a fresh supply of yeast and start over.
You can get instant dry yeast (bread machine yeast) in one or two pound
bricks for about $2/pound at any of the warehouse stores (Sam's, Costco,
etc., or at GFS Marketplace). Even my Meijer store carried the large
package at one time. It is available online at the King Arthur Flour
website. I had bad luck with yeast from grocery stores when I bought it
there - probably because of improper storage.

fivsonsmom

Vox Humana wrote:
> [...]

> seen it says something like this" "Let rise in a warm, draft-free place for
> about 90 minutes or until double in bulk." The time is just a suggestion
> based on the author's experience in his situation. You have to let it rise
> sufficiently no matter how long it takes. If after a reasonable amount of
> time, say three or four hours at room temperature, the dough has not risen,
> then the yeast is dead. I would get a fresh supply of yeast and start over.
> You can get instant dry yeast (bread machine yeast) in one or two pound
> bricks for about $2/pound at any of the warehouse stores (Sam's, Costco,
> etc., or at GFS Marketplace). Even my Meijer store carried the large
> package at one time. It is available online at the King Arthur Flour
> website. I had bad luck with yeast from grocery stores when I bought it
> there - probably because of improper storage.

Thank you so much! I will try the extra time for rising-- it sure
hadn't risen to double it's size, that's for sure. It didn't say that
though and I'm not experienced enough to know what to look for really.
I will also look for other bread machine yeast. I might try the local
"Fresh food market" or the "whole foods grocery" too.

Thanks again,
Peggy
Vox Humana

"fivsonsmom" > wrote in message
.com...

> Thank you so much! I will try the extra time for rising-- it sure
> hadn't risen to double it's size, that's for sure. It didn't say that
> though and I'm not experienced enough to know what to look for really.
> I will also look for other bread machine yeast. I might try the local
> "Fresh food market" or the "whole foods grocery" too.

I just suggested the bulk yeast because it has worked very well for me and
is inexpensive as compared to buying the small sachets at the supermarket.
You can also buy a small jar of bread machine yeast at the supermarket, the
price is outrageous. If you do much baking, the bulk package is the way to
go and it will last for a year or two if properly stored.

You can test for adequate rise by gently indenting the dough with your
finger. If the impression doesn't quickly spring back, the dough is
properly risen. Of course, this is just a guideline, and you will have to
use some judgement.

Vox Humana

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> fivsonsmom wrote:
>
> > Thank you so much! I will try the extra time for rising-- it sure
> > hadn't risen to double it's size, that's for sure. It didn't say that
> > though and I'm not experienced enough to know what to look for really.
> > I will also look for other bread machine yeast. I might try the local
> > "Fresh food market" or the "whole foods grocery" too.

> I use Red Star yeast. I get mine from the King Arthur Flour catalog,
> but I think one can buy it in ordinary grocery stores. Fleishman's is
> fine, too. You don't need a special bread machine yeast.
>
> My bread machine book (_Bread Machine Magic_, which I recommend) also
> says Welbilt bread machines need a little more yeast -- 2 teaspoons for
> most 1.5 lb loaf recipes. That works great in mine. However both the
> book and the machine are about 10 years old, so this may have changed.

The extra yeast may be required for bread baked in the machine. However,
since the OP baked the bread in her oven, I don't think the amount of yeast
would matter much. A little more, a little less wouldn't hurt.

Priscilla H. Ballou

fivsonsmom wrote:

> Thank you so much! I will try the extra time for rising-- it sure
> hadn't risen to double it's size, that's for sure. It didn't say that
> though and I'm not experienced enough to know what to look for really.
> I will also look for other bread machine yeast. I might try the local
> "Fresh food market" or the "whole foods grocery" too.

I use Red Star yeast. I get mine from the King Arthur Flour catalog,
but I think one can buy it in ordinary grocery stores. Fleishman's is
fine, too. You don't need a special bread machine yeast.

My bread machine book (_Bread Machine Magic_, which I recommend) also
says Welbilt bread machines need a little more yeast -- 2 teaspoons for
most 1.5 lb loaf recipes. That works great in mine. However both the
book and the machine are about 10 years old, so this may have changed.

Priscilla
Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:00:52 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "fivsonsmom" > wrote in message
> .com...
> > >

> > Thank you so much! I will try the extra time for rising-- it sure
> > hadn't risen to double it's size, that's for sure. It didn't say that
> > though and I'm not experienced enough to know what to look for really.
> > I will also look for other bread machine yeast. I might try the local
> > "Fresh food market" or the "whole foods grocery" too.
> >

> I just suggested the bulk yeast because it has worked very well for me
> and is inexpensive as compared to buying the small sachets at the
> supermarket. You can also buy a small jar of bread machine yeast at the
> supermarket, the price is outrageous. If you do much baking, the bulk
> package is the way to go and it will last for a year or two if properly
> stored.

It bears pointing out that the expiration dates on these packages
apparently presume room-temperature storage or something.

I'm just getting to the last third or so of a brick of SAF Instant that
expired in january of 2002. I keep it in an air-tight container in the
freezer. It hasn't disappointed me yet.
Dee Randall

This is such a small thing -- but I will mention it anyway. You list the
ingredients in the order suggested by your instructions to be added as:
bread machine yeast,
>>bread flour, sugar, salt, olive oil, water.

I have been baking in a bread maker for as many years as they have had bread
makers (just recently put mine up on the shelf), but I have ALWAYS added the
ingredients in EXACTLY the reverse order that you have listed. I can recite
them by heart.

Water, olive oil, salt, (sugar,) bread flour, yeast!

This is how the order seems to me:
The wet ingredients are added first so as to mix them together well, & the
sugar gets a chance to melt into the water; If you add the wet ingredients
last, the wet ingredients sort of sit on top of the flour and don't want to
absorb into the flour; the flour goes twirling around on the flapper for too
long before the water gets into the flour.
After adding next-to-last the flour, I dig a tiny well in the flour and
place my yeast in it. I think of it this way: my yeast is last to hit the
water/moisture and it doesn't get confused by the temperature of the water.

Just a thought.
Dee

Priscilla H. Ballou

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> > fivsonsmom wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you so much! I will try the extra time for rising-- it sure
> > > hadn't risen to double it's size, that's for sure. It didn't say that
> > > though and I'm not experienced enough to know what to look for really.
> > > I will also look for other bread machine yeast. I might try the local
> > > "Fresh food market" or the "whole foods grocery" too.

> > I use Red Star yeast. I get mine from the King Arthur Flour catalog,
> > but I think one can buy it in ordinary grocery stores. Fleishman's is
> > fine, too. You don't need a special bread machine yeast.
> >
> > My bread machine book (_Bread Machine Magic_, which I recommend) also
> > says Welbilt bread machines need a little more yeast -- 2 teaspoons for
> > most 1.5 lb loaf recipes. That works great in mine. However both the
> > book and the machine are about 10 years old, so this may have changed.
> >

> The extra yeast may be required for bread baked in the machine. However,
> since the OP baked the bread in her oven, I don't think the amount of yeast
> would matter much. A little more, a little less wouldn't hurt.

OK. I don't bake in the machine, and I use the extra amount, which
works fine.

Priscilla
fivsonsmom

Thanks, Dee. I don't have a manual for mine, so I have been sort of
going by what I saw on some recipe site. The lady who gave it to me also
said that she puts stuff in reverse order also. At the time I thought
"what difference can that make? Well, maybe a lot lol. I will try
that, thanks.