Raj V

Default Poppy Seed Cake Icing?

My wife lost an old poppy seed cake recipe in the fire. I've looked at a lot
of cake recipes and suspect the cake is pretty common but the icing was
unique, it called for several egg yokes and was a definite yellow color. She
asked if I would query this group to see if anyone had a recipe for an icing
that uses egg yokes.

Thanks,
Raj V

Vox Humana

"Raj V" > wrote in message
> My wife lost an old poppy seed cake recipe in the fire. I've looked at a

lot
> of cake recipes and suspect the cake is pretty common but the icing was
> unique, it called for several egg yokes and was a definite yellow color.

She
> asked if I would query this group to see if anyone had a recipe for an

icing
> that uses egg yokes.

Could it be a classic buttercream frosting? Was a boiling syrup added to
the yolks? Was there a lot of butter?

Janet Bostwick

"Raj V" > wrote in message
> My wife lost an old poppy seed cake recipe in the fire. I've looked at a
> lot of cake recipes and suspect the cake is pretty common but the icing
> was unique, it called for several egg yokes and was a definite yellow
> color. She asked if I would query this group to see if anyone had a recipe
> for an icing that uses egg yokes.
>
> Thanks,
> Raj V

The poppy seed cake that I am familiar with had this topping. If you do it
as a layer cake, this topping becomes the filling and the frosting becomes a
sour cream frosting. This is a very old hand-me-down recipe.

Custard Filling/Topping for Poppy Seed Cake
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg beaten or preferred is 2 egg yolks in stead of whole egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter
Mix flour and sugar, mix egg and milk together, add to flour and sugar, add
salt, cook until thick and then beat in vanilla and butter.
Janet