FoodBanter.com

-   -   Proving bread overnight (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/53117-proving-bread-overnight.html)

[email protected] 01-02-2005 08:30 PM

Proving bread overnight

Hi Folks,

I'm currently making my bread in one session : viz. mix ingredients,
knead, prove dough as one bulk, knock it back, split dough into
baking tins, prove again, bake, (eat:).

I'd like to mix the ingredients and knead it late at night, and
then allow to prove, but bake it off in the morning.

I'm not sure how I should organise this change. I've read that
over-proving will affect the bread taste/texture.

Any help from the experienced bakers appreciated.

Thanks.

Vox Humana 02-02-2005 12:12 AM

> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm currently making my bread in one session : viz. mix ingredients,
> knead, prove dough as one bulk, knock it back, split dough into
> baking tins, prove again, bake, (eat:).
>
> I'd like to mix the ingredients and knead it late at night, and
> then allow to prove, but bake it off in the morning.
>
> I'm not sure how I should organise this change. I've read that
> over-proving will affect the bread taste/texture.
>
> Any help from the experienced bakers appreciated.

Mix, let rise, make up, refrigerate. Bake in the morning.

[email protected] 02-02-2005 12:49 AM

Vox Humana > wrote:

> Mix, let rise, make up, refrigerate. Bake in the morning.

:-) Thanks. That seems like the perfect solution.

So, first rise done. Knock back, put it in the tins.
Refrigerate which - as far as I know - slows down the
yeast action. In the morning, pull the tins out into
the room heat, let rise again, get the oven going. Bake.

Thanks a million.

Kenneth 02-02-2005 01:33 AM

On 1 Feb 2005 23:49:37 GMT, lid wrote:

>Vox Humana > wrote:
>
>> Mix, let rise, make up, refrigerate. Bake in the morning.

>:-) Thanks. That seems like the perfect solution.
>
>So, first rise done. Knock back, put it in the tins.
>Refrigerate which - as far as I know - slows down the
>yeast action. In the morning, pull the tins out into
>the room heat, let rise again, get the oven going. Bake.
>
>Thanks a million.

Howdy,

I will add that your bread is likely to taste better...

For all fermented foods that I know of, slower is better.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Ida Slapter 02-02-2005 01:54 AM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:12:51 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>> I'm currently making my bread in one session : viz. mix ingredients,
>> knead, prove

The technical term is proof.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Vox Humana 02-02-2005 02:18 AM

"Ida Slapter" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:12:51 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
> >> I'm currently making my bread in one session : viz. mix ingredients,
> >> knead, prove

> The technical term is proof.

Technically, isn't the fist rise called a fermentation?

Vox Humana 02-02-2005 02:19 AM

> wrote in message
> Vox Humana > wrote:
>
> > Mix, let rise, make up, refrigerate. Bake in the morning.

> :-) Thanks. That seems like the perfect solution.
>
> So, first rise done. Knock back, put it in the tins.
> Refrigerate which - as far as I know - slows down the
> yeast action. In the morning, pull the tins out into
> the room heat, let rise again, get the oven going. Bake.

Most likely the bread will rise sufficiently in the refrigerator depending
on it's temperature when you placed it in the refrigerator.

Janet Bostwick 02-02-2005 07:58 AM

"Ida Slapter" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:12:51 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
>>> I'm currently making my bread in one session : viz. mix ingredients,
>>> knead, prove

> The technical term is proof.

That might depend upon what country you call home. I've heard prove used,
just don't remember where.
Janet