baker1

Default Stand Mixers....food at the bottom of the bowl

Hello all. I'd like to know what your experience is, as far as using
stand mixers...mostly KitchenAid.

When do you experience food being left at the bottom of the bowl?
(that dimpled area)...when you use the wire whisk or the beater blade?

When making batters such as cheese cake, or creaming butter and sugar,
I notice (when using the beater blade) a lot of food gets left at the
bottom. However, when making meringue and whipped cream with the wire
whisk, less food is left at the bottom.

What's your experience? Do you use the whisk only for whipping egg
whites or whipped cream? When making a cake, do you use the wire
whisk or beater blade?

When is food most likely to be stuck at the bottom of the bowl?

Thanks
.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, baker1 wrote:

> Hello all. I'd like to know what your experience is, as far as using
> stand mixers...mostly KitchenAid.
>
> When do you experience food being left at the bottom of the bowl?
> (that dimpled area)...when you use the wire whisk or the beater blade?
>
> When making batters such as cheese cake, or creaming butter and sugar,
> I notice (when using the beater blade) a lot of food gets left at the
> bottom. However, when making meringue and whipped cream with the wire
> whisk, less food is left at the bottom.
>
> What's your experience? Do you use the whisk only for whipping egg
> whites or whipped cream? When making a cake, do you use the wire
> whisk or beater blade?
>
> When is food most likely to be stuck at the bottom of the bowl?

I have a KitchenAid stand mixer (apparently this model not available in
U.S.A.). I use it for everything. I have a paddle and a whisk for it. Both
work great. Never had any problems with food stuck on the bottom.

I usually add my dry ingredients to wet ingredients. The other way around
might make a difference. Mind you, I have started with butter and sugar
for some recipes and that works fine. I cut the butter (very cold) into 1
cm blocks, let it warm up then add that first. I pour the sugar over top
of the blocks of butter. The butter is pretty good about stirring the
sugar about.

Joshua Baker-LePain

In article >, baker1 wrote:

> When making batters such as cheese cake, or creaming butter and sugar,
> I notice (when using the beater blade) a lot of food gets left at the
> bottom. However, when making meringue and whipped cream with the wire
> whisk, less food is left at the bottom.

You can adjust the clearance between the beater and the bottom of the bowl.
Obviously, you want the beater as close to the bottom as possible without
toucing. Look in the manual.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering
pennyaline

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> You can adjust the clearance between the beater and the bottom of the

bowl.
> Obviously, you want the beater as close to the bottom as possible without
> toucing. Look in the manual.

Further, recipes (and the mixer instructions) tell you to scrape the sides
and bottom of the bowl during mixing. This is why.

baker1

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:47:22 +0000 (UTC), Joshua Baker-LePain
> wrote:

>In article >, baker1 wrote:
>>
>> When making batters such as cheese cake, or creaming butter and sugar,
>> I notice (when using the beater blade) a lot of food gets left at the
>> bottom. However, when making meringue and whipped cream with the wire
>> whisk, less food is left at the bottom.

>You can adjust the clearance between the beater and the bottom of the bowl.
>Obviously, you want the beater as close to the bottom as possible without
>toucing. Look in the manual.

Yes, I know about the adjustments, however there always seems to be a
need to scoop out the bottom. I'm developing a product that would
eliminate this, as well as scrape the walls while mixing. What I want
to know is when do people most find food unmixed at the bottom...with
the wire whisk or the paddle (beater).

Vox Humana

"baker1" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:47:22 +0000 (UTC), Joshua Baker-LePain

> Yes, I know about the adjustments, however there always seems to be a
> need to scoop out the bottom. I'm developing a product that would
> eliminate this, as well as scrape the walls while mixing. What I want
> to know is when do people most find food unmixed at the bottom...with
> the wire whisk or the paddle (beater).

I only use the whip with egg whites and cream. I don't find these clinging
to the bottom or sides. I do find high fat batters clinging to the bowl
when I use the paddle.

Nexis

"baker1" > wrote in message
> Hello all. I'd like to know what your experience is, as far as using
> stand mixers...mostly KitchenAid.
>
> When do you experience food being left at the bottom of the bowl?
> (that dimpled area)...when you use the wire whisk or the beater blade?
>
> When making batters such as cheese cake, or creaming butter and sugar,
> I notice (when using the beater blade) a lot of food gets left at the
> bottom. However, when making meringue and whipped cream with the wire
> whisk, less food is left at the bottom.
>
> What's your experience? Do you use the whisk only for whipping egg
> whites or whipped cream? When making a cake, do you use the wire
> whisk or beater blade?
>
> When is food most likely to be stuck at the bottom of the bowl?
>
> Thanks

The trick is to attach the blade (or whisk or hook), put the bowl in place
and release the attachment. It will stay on the post, but be unlocked so it
will fall to the bottom and "ride the dimple" so to speak. Works every time.

kimberly

Nexis

"baker1" > wrote in message
> Hello all. I'd like to know what your experience is, as far as using
> stand mixers...mostly KitchenAid.
>
> When do you experience food being left at the bottom of the bowl?
> (that dimpled area)...when you use the wire whisk or the beater blade?
>
> When making batters such as cheese cake, or creaming butter and sugar,
> I notice (when using the beater blade) a lot of food gets left at the
> bottom. However, when making meringue and whipped cream with the wire
> whisk, less food is left at the bottom.
>
> What's your experience? Do you use the whisk only for whipping egg
> whites or whipped cream? When making a cake, do you use the wire
> whisk or beater blade?
>
> When is food most likely to be stuck at the bottom of the bowl?
>
> Thanks

The trick is to attach the blade (or whisk or hook), put the bowl in place
and release the attachment. It will stay on the post, but be unlocked so it
will fall to the bottom and "ride the dimple" so to speak. Works every time.

kimberly

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:

>> Yes, I know about the adjustments, however there always seems to be a
>> need to scoop out the bottom.

Not necessarily. I make bagel dogh in my Hobart 80 quart mixer and the
only issue I have is the little bit of dough that dries on the upper
wall of the bowl. It's easy to clean with a wet plastic scrungy pad..

>I'm developing a product that would
>> eliminate this, as well as scrape the walls while mixing. What I want
>> to know is when do people most find food unmixed at the bottom...with
>> the wire whisk or the paddle (beater).

When making a 20 pound batch of muffins with the paddle, some will stick
and stiffen on the bottom of the bowl. I dump in a quart of water and
let it soak and soften, then the old scrungy pad breaks it loose
quickly.

Still, I 'd be interested in seeing your new invention. Website?