FoodBanter.com

-   -   how to open the string of a sack of flour? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/52875-how-open-string-sack.html)

Dan Jacobson 30-01-2005 03:03 AM

how to open the string of a sack of flour?

Can someone explain the trick to opening the string of a sack of
flour? The right way just takes one yank. The wrong way and you'll be
working out the tangle with a scissors for 20 minutes.

Vox Humana 30-01-2005 03:33 AM

"Dan Jacobson" > wrote in message
> Can someone explain the trick to opening the string of a sack of
> flour? The right way just takes one yank. The wrong way and you'll be
> working out the tangle with a scissors for 20 minutes.

I just cut the bag open.

Dave Bell 30-01-2005 06:07 AM

Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Can someone explain the trick to opening the string of a sack of
> flour? The right way just takes one yank. The wrong way and you'll be
> working out the tangle with a scissors for 20 minutes.

Most likely, you're starting at the wrong end! (Not that it's marked or
anything...) I gently pull one loose end; if it doesn't start to
unstitch, I switch to the other end of the seam. By the way, if you
don't want to open it all the way (I wa using 25 pound sacks), you can
pull out the chain stitch as far as you want, then thread the loose end
back through the last un-pulled loop; pull tight, and cut off all but an
inch or so.

Dave

Lucy 30-01-2005 07:20 AM

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
. com...
> Dan Jacobson wrote:
>> Can someone explain the trick to opening the string of a sack of
>> flour? The right way just takes one yank. The wrong way and you'll be
>> working out the tangle with a scissors for 20 minutes.

> Most likely, you're starting at the wrong end! (Not that it's marked or
> anything...) I gently pull one loose end; if it doesn't start to unstitch,
> I switch to the other end of the seam. By the way, if you don't want to
> open it all the way (I wa using 25 pound sacks), you can pull out the
> chain stitch as far as you want, then thread the loose end back through
> the last un-pulled loop; pull tight, and cut off all but an inch or so.
>
> Dave

First, you start with a magic wand...
lucy :)

Petey the Wonder Dog 31-01-2005 10:57 PM

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>Can someone explain the trick to opening the string of a sack of flour?

Scissors.

Too many torn bags to count.