Vox Humana

Default Alaska bomb

"Alexander Ausserstorfer" > wrote in message
> That time I worked as baker in Canada an another employer in the bakery
> made a cake called "Alaska bomb". I can't remember what it was exactly,
> but in the middle of was icecream. Does anybody have a recipe?

Baked Alaska?
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+Alaska+recipe

.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote:

> That time I worked as baker in Canada an another employer in the bakery
> made a cake called "Alaska bomb". I can't remember what it was exactly,
> but in the middle of was icecream. Does anybody have a recipe?

I think you mean a "bombe". The Alaska bombe cake is also referred to as a
baked Alaska. You should be able to google for "Alaska bombe cake" or
"Baked Alaska".
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 21 Jan 2005 05:01:03a, Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote in
rec.food.baking:

> That time I worked as baker in Canada an another employer in the bakery
> made a cake called "Alaska bomb". I can't remember what it was exactly,
> but in the middle of was icecream. Does anybody have a recipe?
>
> Ciao,
>
> Alexander Ausserstorfer

You need technique and instructions more than a recipe. Most any
compatible cake and ice cream flavors will do. The most memorable baked
alaska I was ever served was made by a friend of my mother's. She used a
dark chocolate cake and mint-chocolate chip ice cream.

You can use 2 cake layers with a layer of ice cream in between, or just 1
cake layer with ice cream on top. All will be covered with the meringue.

NOTE: Leave a 1/2" border of plain cake when you spread the ice cream.

1. Start heating oven to 450ø F. Set cake base on brown
paper (1/2" larger than cake) on cookie sheet.

2. Make meringue: With egg beater or electric mixer,
beat 3 egg whites until they stand in peaks when
beater is raised. Slowly add 6 tablesp. granulated
sugar, beating until stiff and glossy.

3. Quickly fill or top cake base with 1 qt. very firm
ice cream. Top with 2nd cake layer, if using. Quickly
cover entire assembly completely with meringue. If desired,
sprinkle with slivered almonds, shaved chocolate, or
shredded coconut. Bake 4 to 5 min., or until delicate
brown.

4. Remove Alaska from oven at once. Slip 2 spatulas
between Baked Alaska and paper. Transfer Alaska to
chilled serving dish. Garnish with canned fresh peach
slices, berries, etc. Serve at once.

P.S. To serve ablaze, pour bit of lemon extract on 3
sugar cubes; set on meringue; light; carry to table.

One last thought... You can have the cake layer(s) and pre-shaped ice
cream at the ready and stored in the freezer for quick assembly before
covering with meringue.

HTH

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

Following up to my own post, a tip for pre-molding the ice cream.

If using a 9-inch cake layer, line an 8-inch cake pan with plastic wrap with
the edges laying over the edge of pan. Spoon and press ice cream into pan to
fill and level off flat. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap and return
to freezer until frozen hard.

The plastic wrap makes it easy to remove the ice cream from the pan, and the
size is perfect for placing on the cake layer.

Obviously, depending on the size and shape of cake layer you use, a slightly
smaller pan of similar shape can be used for the ice cream.

Wayne
Margaret Suran

The Eisbomben of my childhood were made with or without a covering of
cake, which would either be a white or a chocolate one. They would be
baked in two halves, each one shaped like half a round ball or half a
football. Once fully baked and cooled, the insides would be carefully
removed, so that only a thin shell remained. They were filled with
two or three different ice creams and sherbets and pushed together,
until they formed the bombe. The bombes could also be had without the
cake and either kind could be had with a chocolate covering.

Since the average Viennese home in the 1920's and 30's did not have a
refrigerator with freezer (we had ice boxes with large chunks of ice
to keep the food cool), all the ones I saw and ate, came from a fancy
Italian Ice Cream Store, where you could order this special delicacy
for special occasions.

Once we lived here with the luxury of a refrigerator with a freezer,
ice cream bombes could easily be made at home, especially since ice
cream was readily available all year long. Of course, we served them
with Schlag. )

michael

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:01:03 +0200, Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote:

> That time I worked as baker in Canada an another employer in the bakery
> made a cake called "Alaska bomb". I can't remember what it was exactly,
> but in the middle of was icecream. Does anybody have a recipe?
>
> Ciao,
>
> Alexander Ausserstorfer

I'll tell you how I do it.

A bomb is ice cream or sherbert layer pressed in a mold, frozen hard then
filled with a 'bomb mixture' or a frozen mousse with a cake layer
underneath to keep the whole thing from sliding off the plate!.

Alaska'd is just covering this with marague and baking
(actually broiling) or torching it for a short while to carmatlize and
heat the marague a little.

A Basic Bombe Filling:

8 oz Sugar
dissolved in
2 oz water
Boil til 240F/119C

Whip up 6 egg yolks til light and foamy

Slowly pour sugar water into yolks
whip til cool, think and foamy

Add favoring, fold into 12 oz whipped heavy cream
Pour into mold, freeze.

The great thing about bombes is that there are infinite combinations of filling
and ice cream/sherbert flavorings plus toppings such as maragues, ganache or
fruits PLUS the cake layer.. all can be varied.

Bomb burgers!? notbob General Cooking 18 02-02-2012 07:44 PM
The Beef-A-Bomb J. Clarke General Cooking 6 17-03-2010 07:26 PM
Somebody set up us the chili bomb! Adam Funk[_2_] General Cooking 0 05-10-2007 10:54 AM
bomb making? treetoad Winemaking 10 28-03-2006 01:34 PM
smoke bomb Cam Barbecue 11 28-09-2005 08:46 PM