Denise

Default recipe for poppy seed bun

When I was a child I used to get a sweet bun in NYC bakeries that had a
poppy seed filling. I think it was rolled (like a cinnamon roll but flatter)
and had a glaze on top. I'm trying to find a recipe for it but I don't know
what they were called. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Denise

Vox Humana

"Denise" > wrote in message
> When I was a child I used to get a sweet bun in NYC bakeries that had a
> poppy seed filling. I think it was rolled (like a cinnamon roll but

flatter)
> and had a glaze on top. I'm trying to find a recipe for it but I don't

know
> what they were called. Can anyone help?
> Thanks,
> Denise

Eastern Europeans make a poppy seed roll under various names. It is a basic
sweet dough with a poppy seed filling. I never put a glaze on it, but as
with most other things, there are probably local variations. I have never
seen this cut and then baked. I make it like I would cinnamon rolls but
bake it whole; i.e., I roil out the dough, spread on the filling, roll up,
and bake whole. As for the filling, you need a poppy seed grinder to make
it properly. You can use a blender, but it is a poor substitute. I use
canned filling sold under the Solo brand and find it quite acceptable and
lots less work than making your own. You can often find it with the canned
pie filling in the supermarket or you can order it online he
http://www.solofoods.com/cprod.html
Note the link at the bottom of the page!

Also, there is a typical recipe for the poppy seed roll on their website:
http://www.solofoods.com/cppyrll.html

Hope this helps.

MOMPEAGRAM

I don't know if it helps her, but it really helps me! Thanks!

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Denise" > wrote in message
>> When I was a child I used to get a sweet bun in NYC bakeries that had a
>> poppy seed filling. I think it was rolled (like a cinnamon roll but

> flatter)
>> and had a glaze on top. I'm trying to find a recipe for it but I don't

> know
>> what they were called. Can anyone help?
>> Thanks,
>> Denise

> Eastern Europeans make a poppy seed roll under various names. It is a
> basic
> sweet dough with a poppy seed filling. I never put a glaze on it, but as
> with most other things, there are probably local variations. I have never
> seen this cut and then baked. I make it like I would cinnamon rolls but
> bake it whole; i.e., I roil out the dough, spread on the filling, roll up,
> and bake whole. As for the filling, you need a poppy seed grinder to make
> it properly. You can use a blender, but it is a poor substitute. I use
> canned filling sold under the Solo brand and find it quite acceptable and
> lots less work than making your own. You can often find it with the canned
> pie filling in the supermarket or you can order it online he
> http://www.solofoods.com/cprod.html
> Note the link at the bottom of the page!
>
> Also, there is a typical recipe for the poppy seed roll on their website:
> http://www.solofoods.com/cppyrll.html
>
> Hope this helps.

Vox Humana

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
news:1106269728.8af3b235a0527d12dbefc7e520af3e4a@t eranews...
> I don't know if it helps her, but it really helps me! Thanks!

Glad it helped. Here is an earlier message I posted to the newsgroup on
this subject:.

Dough:

3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
2 pkgs. yeast
1/3 cup of warm water ( 105-115F)
3 eggs
5/12 to 6 1/2 cups AP flour

Prepare dough as you would any other bread (I will list the instructions if
you want, but I assume that you know how to make yeasted dough) and let rise
until double. Divide into two parts and roll each into a rectangle about 10
x 18 inches. Spread half of the poppy seed filling (one can) on the dough
leaving a 1 inch margin. Roll the dough up and let it proof until double.
Bake at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes. (instant read thermometer should read
195 - 200F). If you want a darker surface brush with an egg wash ( 1 egg
beaten with a tablespoon of milk) prior to baking.

Here is an alternative dough which (don't tell my mother) I think is a
little better, more tender and richer.

1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon (1 pkg. yeast)
1/3 cup sugar
5 3/4 to 6 3/4 cups unbleached AP flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup warm milk
1 cup sour cream (room temperature)
3 large eggs (room temperature)
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
cut into small pieces

Proof the yeast with the water and a pinch of the sugar. Combine 1 1/2 cups
of flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the
sour cream, eggs, and zest. Beat until smooth. Add yeast and beat about
one minute. Add another cup of flour and beat for a minute. Add the butter
and beat until incorporated. Start adding the flour 1/2 cup at a time until
a very soft and somewhat shaggy dough is formed. This dough is very soft -
don't add too much flour. Knead for about 4 minutes using a bench scraper
if necessary - avoid adding too much additional flour. (I make this in the
KA mixer with the dough hook and knead on medium for 4 minutes) Let rise
until double (2 - 3 hours) Do not let the dough over rise or it will have a
poor texture. You can refrigerate at this point for up to 24 hours but
don't deflate the dough.

Proceed as above to make the roll.
Poppy Seed Filling:
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup ground poppy seed
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon butter
Heat milk and when it boils add sugar, flour and poppy seed, stirring
vigorously. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
Add butter and then add vanilla

You can use the canned Solo brand of poppy seed filling if you don't want to
make it yourself. I like to add a little lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon
juice to perk up the flavor of the canned stuff. Years ago my mother would
haul out her hand cranked grinder and process the poppy seeds. I think that
she just bought the filling in later years.

MOMPEAGRAM

Thanks! I was able to find a Canadian supplier for the Solo.

http://www.edelweissimports.com

Now I won't have to pay duty.

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> [...]

> Poppy Seed Filling:
> 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1 cup ground poppy seed
> 1 tablespoon flour
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1 1/4 cups sugar
> 1 teaspoon butter
> Heat milk and when it boils add sugar, flour and poppy seed, stirring
> vigorously. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove from
> heat.
> Add butter and then add vanilla
>

> You can use the canned Solo brand of poppy seed filling if you don't want
> make it yourself. I like to add a little lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon
> juice to perk up the flavor of the canned stuff. Years ago my mother would
> haul out her hand cranked grinder and process the poppy seeds. I think
> that
> she just bought the filling in later years.

Denise

Many thanks for the info. I'll try each of the recipes, but I'd like to try
slicing the rolls and baking the pieces individually. Any idea how long to
bake that way?
Denise
"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> [...]

> Poppy Seed Filling:
> 1 1/2 cups milk
> 1 cup ground poppy seed
> 1 tablespoon flour
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1 1/4 cups sugar
> 1 teaspoon butter
> Heat milk and when it boils add sugar, flour and poppy seed, stirring
> vigorously. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove from

heat.
> Add butter and then add vanilla
>

> You can use the canned Solo brand of poppy seed filling if you don't want

> make it yourself. I like to add a little lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon
> juice to perk up the flavor of the canned stuff. Years ago my mother would
> haul out her hand cranked grinder and process the poppy seeds. I think

that
> she just bought the filling in later years.

Vox Humana

"Denise" > wrote in message
> Many thanks for the info. I'll try each of the recipes, but I'd like to

try
> slicing the rolls and baking the pieces individually. Any idea how long to
> bake that way?
> Denise

I would bake at 350F for about 20 minutes

Vox Humana

"RsH" > wrote in message
> To find poppy seed filling in Canada, go to almost any Jewish bakery
> or food supplier or store. Poppy Seed filling is a common ingredient
> in Jewish baked goods. Should be easy to find in Toronto, Montreal,
> or other cities with large Jewish populations. In the rest of Canada,
> see if you can find it via mail order.

Getting the ingredients isn't the issue. You have to grind the seeds in a
special grinder. As much as I love poppy seed filling, I don't use enoght
of it to justify buying a poppy seed grinder.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=poppy+seed+grinder

RsH

I said poppy seed filling, NOT the seeds themselves, if you read what
I wrote, so you do NOT need to grind them by hand... they are already
ground in the filling. Besides that, for the rare occasion, you can
also use a mortar and pestle to grind them a bit or crush the hull of
the seeds so that you can make the filling, rather than buy a special
mill.

RsH
-------------------
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:08:05 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"RsH" > wrote in message
.. .
>> To find poppy seed filling in Canada, go to almost any Jewish bakery
>> or food supplier or store. Poppy Seed filling is a common ingredient
>> in Jewish baked goods. Should be easy to find in Toronto, Montreal,
>> or other cities with large Jewish populations. In the rest of Canada,
>> see if you can find it via mail order.

>Getting the ingredients isn't the issue. You have to grind the seeds in a
>special grinder. As much as I love poppy seed filling, I don't use enoght
>of it to justify buying a poppy seed grinder.
>http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=poppy+seed+grinder

> or >
Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
Vox Humana

"RsH" > wrote in message
> I said poppy seed filling, NOT the seeds themselves, if you read what
> I wrote, so you do NOT need to grind them by hand... they are already
> ground in the filling. Besides that, for the rare occasion, you can
> also use a mortar and pestle to grind them a bit or crush the hull of
> the seeds so that you can make the filling, rather than buy a special
> mill.

Here is exactly what you wrote:
"See http://www.germandeli.com/scmo25psefi.html for the ingredients
that make up the filling. Basically it is poppy seed, sugar and water.
I have seen it be poppy seed, honey and water as well. Look up
recipes for mohn filling and you will get lots of ways to make poppy
seed fillings quickly and for less money, since the plain poppy seed
is always the main ingredient"

So you point to a source for INGREDIENTS and suggested the you would "get
lots of recipes for mohn fillings ...." In order to MAKE filling from
INGREDIENTS , i.e.,
plain poppy seed," the seeds have to be ground. Have you actually ground
poppy seeds in a mortar and pestle (which I would also have to buy)? I
would be just as well off buying a poppy seed grinder. I can buy filling
for less than the price of the pre-ground seeds in your link.

RsH

Here is an old recipe for Hamantashen which uses a poppy seed filling.
Note that the poppy seeds are NOT ground, crushed or otherwise
changed. They are used as they come to make the filling.

Following this recipe is another for making the filling that does
indeed use either a grinder or mortar and pestle. The mortar and
pestle I can buy here in Toronto for under C$10, but I have no idea
what the grinder would cost. The author used either a coffee or spice
grinder, and did not use a special poppy seed grinder.

------------------------------PASTRY----------------------------------
2 c flour
1 c butter
1/2 lb Cream cheese

----------------------------MOHN FILLING------------------------------
1/2 c Poppy seeds
1 c Walnuts (chopped fine)
1 c Raisins (chopped fine)
8 oz Honey

Sift the flour. Cream the butter and cream cheese until well blended.
Gradually add the flour, mixing and make a ball of dough. Refrigerate
overnight.

Combine the mohn filling ingredients. It may take a little more, or a
little less, than about 8 oz of honey; use enough to hold the mixture
together.

Roll out the dough (not too thin) and cut into 3-inch squares. Fill
each square with about 1 T of mohn and fold the dough square over to
make a triangle. Bake on a greased pan at 350 degrees F. until golden
brown, about 20 minutes.

NOTES:

* A triangular filled pastry -- Hamantashen are a triangular pastry,
traditionally eaten during the Jewish Holiday of Purim. Purim
celebrates the failure of the evil Haman in his attempt to exterminate
the Jews; Haman wore a three-cornered hat. Yield: Makes a bunch.

: Difficulty: easy.
: Time: 1 hour preparation (in two 1/2 hour pieces), 20 minutes baking.
: Precision: measure the pastry ingredients carefully.

: Alan M. Marcum
: Sun Microsystems, Mountain View, California
: sun!nescorna!marcum

: Copyright (C) 1986 USENET Community Trust

Making a poppy seed filling yourself - recipe 2

Mohn Filling

1 cup poppy seeds
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg

1. Soak the seeds in the boiling water until cool, or overnight.

2. Grind the seeds in a coffee or spice grinder, as finely as
possible. A mortar and pestle can also be used.

3. Combine the seeds, water, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon in a
small pot and cook over medium heat until the filling is thick,
stirring frequently.

4. Remove from heat, cool, and then stir in the egg. Refrigerate until
ready to use.

This is from http://www.pennyeisenberg.com/recipes/hamantashen.html
R.S. (Bob) Heuman - Toronto, ON, Canada
Independent Computer Security Consulting
Web Site Auditing for Compliance with Standards
> or >
Copyright retained.
My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!

Unique and Simple Recipe (Asparagus + Poppy seed Paste) happy General Cooking 0 15-02-2009 06:29 PM
Poppy Seed Scones cj Recipes (moderated) 0 17-06-2007 08:34 PM
Poppy Seed Bread Tim Recipes 0 16-12-2005 12:27 AM
Poppy Seed Loaf Arita Droog Recipes (moderated) 0 18-11-2003 02:58 PM
RECIPE: Poppy Seed Boxty Mr. Cruise General Cooking 0 29-09-2003 01:20 PM