FoodBanter.com

-   -   Yellow Cake w/Oil (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/51380-yellow-cake-w-oil.html)

Wayne Boatwright 20-01-2005 04:35 AM

Yellow Cake w/Oil

Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of solid
shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.

I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.

TIA

Wayne

The Cook 20-01-2005 12:13 PM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of solid
shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.

I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.

TIA

Wayne

Do you have a problem with butter. It has no trans or hydrogenated
fats. The new Crisco in the green container has no trans fats either.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Wayne Boatwright 20-01-2005 02:17 PM

On Thu 20 Jan 2005 05:13:28a, The Cook tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of solid
shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.

I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.

TIA

Wayne

Do you have a problem with butter. It has no trans or hydrogenated
fats. The new Crisco in the green container has no trans fats either.

No, I love butter and I do use it. However, my partner has undergone
quadruple heart bypass surgery and his cariologist has stipulated no
butter, as well as no hydrogenated or trans fats.

Say, I didn't know about the new Crisco. I will give that a try for other
things, but I need to stick to using oil unless the new Crisco is also not
hydrogenated.

Thanks,
Wayne

The Cook 20-01-2005 02:54 PM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of solid
shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.

I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.

TIA

Wayne

Do you have a problem with butter. It has no trans or hydrogenated
fats. The new Crisco in the green container has no trans fats either.

No, I love butter and I do use it. However, my partner has undergone
quadruple heart bypass surgery and his cariologist has stipulated no
butter, as well as no hydrogenated or trans fats.

Say, I didn't know about the new Crisco. I will give that a try for other
things, but I need to stick to using oil unless the new Crisco is also not
hydrogenated.

Thanks,
Wayne

Here is a comparison of the two Criscos. BTW, fully hydrogenated =
saturated. To bad they do not make the new Crisco in butter flavor.

New Crisco

Ingredients: Sunflower oil, soybean oil, fully hydrogenated cottonseed
oil, mono- and
diglycerides.

Calories 110 per 1 Tablespoon serving

Total Fat 12g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Vitamin E 15%

Regular Crisco

Ingredients: Partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, mono-
and diglycerides

Calories 110 per 1 Tablespoon serving
Total Fat 12g
Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Vitamin E 20%

Eric Jorgensen 20-01-2005 03:15 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:13:28 -0500
The Cook wrote:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of
solid shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.

I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.

TIA

Wayne

Do you have a problem with butter. It has no trans or hydrogenated
fats. The new Crisco in the green container has no trans fats either.

Butter contains an average of 0.3% trans-fat.

Everything that makes fat makes trans-fat, including corn, sesame, soy,
and you.

As for hydrogenated fats, go ask your doctor whether fully hydrogenated
fats are preferable to saturated fats, or the other way around. I suspect
he'll recommend cutting back on both.

. 20-01-2005 05:40 PM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of solid
shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.

I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.

TIA

Wayne

Do you have a problem with butter. It has no trans or hydrogenated
fats. The new Crisco in the green container has no trans fats either.

No, I love butter and I do use it. However, my partner has undergone
quadruple heart bypass surgery and his cariologist has stipulated no
butter, as well as no hydrogenated or trans fats.

My father had major heart and artery surgery a year ago. The basic rule of
thumb was, "if it is solid at room temperature don't use it." This means
no butter, no shortening, etc.

You have to be careful when you see people advertising things like "No
Trans Fats". This is just one thing that might affect coronary disease. A
lot of times manufacturers will eliminate one element that is bad for
someone with coronary disease and add a tonne of something else (e.g.
SnackWell cookies are fat free but way too much sodium).

Say, I didn't know about the new Crisco. I will give that a try for other
things, but I need to stick to using oil unless the new Crisco is also not
hydrogenated.

If the new Crisco is solid at room temperature then I'd avoid it.

Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne Boatwright 20-01-2005 07:17 PM

On Thu 20 Jan 2005 07:54:16a, The Cook tittered and giggled, and giggled

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Susan, that's a good reference to keep!

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright 20-01-2005 07:20 PM

On Thu 20 Jan 2005 10:40:55a, "." tittered and giggled, and giggled and

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of
solid shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.

I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.

TIA

Wayne

Do you have a problem with butter. It has no trans or hydrogenated
fats.
The new Crisco in the green container has no trans fats either.

No, I love butter and I do use it. However, my partner has undergone
quadruple heart bypass surgery and his cariologist has stipulated no
butter, as well as no hydrogenated or trans fats.

My father had major heart and artery surgery a year ago. The basic rule
of thumb was, "if it is solid at room temperature don't use it." This
means no butter, no shortening, etc.

That's also what we were told. In fact, my parents were told that many
years ago when my dad was diagnosed with arterial blockage.

You have to be careful when you see people advertising things like "No
Trans Fats". This is just one thing that might affect coronary disease.
A lot of times manufacturers will eliminate one element that is bad for
someone with coronary disease and add a tonne of something else (e.g.
SnackWell cookies are fat free but way too much sodium).

Yes, true. That's why I bake almost everything at home. Then I know what
it contains.

Say, I didn't know about the new Crisco. I will give that a try for
other things, but I need to stick to using oil unless the new Crisco is
also not hydrogenated.

If the new Crisco is solid at room temperature then I'd avoid it.

Good point.

Thanks,
Wayne

Vox Humana 20-01-2005 07:23 PM

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of solid
shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.

I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.

You might try the "Smart Balance" product that is sold alongside the
shorting at the supermarket. I comes in a green can but isn't "Crisco." I
have used it for baking and it works well - even for pie pastry.
http://www.smartbalance.com/

Also, you might try using oil in your favorite cake recipe. As I recall,
oil has about 20% more shortening ability than butter, so you might have to
reduce the amount of oil a bit when making the substitution. I often use
Canola oil when making bread when the recipe calls for butter.

Here is a like to the Crisco page that has a yellow cake recipe with oil:
http://www.crisco.com/scripts/displa...cipe_nbr=22731

Wayne Boatwright 20-01-2005 08:01 PM

On Thu 20 Jan 2005 12:23:35p, Vox Humana tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

You might try the "Smart Balance" product that is sold alongside the
shorting at the supermarket. I comes in a green can but isn't "Crisco." I
have used it for baking and it works well - even for pie pastry.
http://www.smartbalance.com/

We use the Smart Balance "margarine", but I didn't know they made a product
you could bake with. I'll give a look.

Also, you might try using oil in your favorite cake recipe. As I recall,
oil has about 20% more shortening ability than butter, so you might have to
reduce the amount of oil a bit when making the substitution. I often use
Canola oil when making bread when the recipe calls for butter.

It never occurred to me to make the substitution. I was afraid it would be a
disaster. It's certainly worth a try.

I do make the Hershey's recipe for Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake, which
call for oil and for dry cocoa powder. It makes a rather a good cake.

Here is a like to the Crisco page that has a yellow cake recipe with oil:
http://www.crisco.com/scripts/displa...cipe_nbr=22731

That looks pretty good. I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Vox...

Wayne

Vox Humana 20-01-2005 10:29 PM

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Thu 20 Jan 2005 12:23:35p, Vox Humana tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

It never occurred to me to make the substitution. I was afraid it would

be a
disaster. It's certainly worth a try.

The substitution will probably be less successful when the cake uses the
creaming method. Creaming requires some body to the fat to hold the air and
suspend the sugar.

Dee Randall 20-01-2005 11:02 PM

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of solid
shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.

I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.

Wayne

Wayne, I have not included all of this recipe, but here are the ingredients.
I saw this on Everyday Italian. It amused me to see a cake with so much
oil, but I suppose there are many cakes with the equivalency of butter or
shortening.

One thing I've done in cakes that has been around a long time is use the
suggestion to substitute 1/4 cup applesauce for 1/4 cup of the oil (if it
calls for 1/2 cup oil or 3/4 cup oil or butter). I am not suggesting that
this cake below would be good with that applesauce substitute.

Cake:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar

3 large eggs

2 teaspoons orange zest

2 teaspoons lemon zest

1/4 cup whole milk

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted, coarsely crumbled

Powdered sugar, for sifting

To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an
8-inch-diameter cake pan. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a
medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs, and
zests in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the milk. Gradually
beat in the oil. Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in
the almonds. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Place cake pan on
baking pan to collect any possible spills. Bake until a tester inserted into
the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 35
minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool for 15 minutes. Remove cake and place
on serving platter, top side up. Sift powdered sugar over the cake.

Wayne, this cake is served with a citrus compote, recipe for which is
included at the Food Channel site for this recipe. But I didn't include it
here, as I wonder if anyone would want to make this cake. It could be an
interesting cake, depending on one's taste. But, I could eat a piece of
it -- I think -- until the olive oil started oozing out of my poores.

Dee

Dave Bell 20-01-2005 11:22 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I do make the Hershey's recipe for Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake, which
call for oil and for dry cocoa powder. It makes a rather a good cake.

Wayne

If you like Hershey's recipes, I've found the Black Magic Cake wonderful:

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/reci...il.asp?id=4754

Dave

Wayne Boatwright 21-01-2005 01:38 AM

On Thu 20 Jan 2005 04:22:56p, Dave Bell called across the abyss...

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I do make the Hershey's recipe for Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake,
which call for oil and for dry cocoa powder. It makes a rather a good
cake.

Wayne

If you like Hershey's recipes, I've found the Black Magic Cake
wonderful:

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/reci...il.asp?id=4754

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Yes, that's a great cake, and I have made it almost as often
as their "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake which is also wonderful. The
only difference between them is the former uses buttermilk instead of
regular milk and coffee instead of water. There's also a slight adjustment
of the ratio between baking soda and baking powder. Oh, when I make the
Black Magic Cake, I frost it with a mocha frosting. Delicious!

If I could find a yellow cake recipe that tastes as good as those chocolate
cakes, I'd be all set.

Thanks again,
Wayne