Old 24-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Sommer Whitehurst

I use 1/4 c. of applesauce in my cake mix instead of oil.

"[email protected]" wrote in message
hlink.net...
That's what eventually killed my father... "trans fat" Not to mention the
3
packs of cigerettes he smoked every day. He was only 86.
jms
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Thu 20 Jan 2005 12:23:35p, Vox Humana tittered and giggled, and
giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

You might try the "Smart Balance" product that is sold alongside the
shorting at the supermarket. I comes in a green can but isn't
"Crisco."

have used it for baking and it works well - even for pie pastry.
http://www.smartbalance.com/

We use the Smart Balance "margarine", but I didn't know they made a

product
you could bake with. I'll give a look.

Also, you might try using oil in your favorite cake recipe. As I

recall,
oil has about 20% more shortening ability than butter, so you might
have

reduce the amount of oil a bit when making the substitution. I often

use
Canola oil when making bread when the recipe calls for butter.

It never occurred to me to make the substitution. I was afraid it would

be a
disaster. It's certainly worth a try.

I do make the Hershey's recipe for Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake,

which
call for oil and for dry cocoa powder. It makes a rather a good cake.

Here is a like to the Crisco page that has a yellow cake recipe with

oil:
http://www.crisco.com/scripts/displa...cipe_nbr=22731

That looks pretty good. I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Vox...

Wayne