Vox Humana

"Lacustral" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'd like to home mill grains, beans, etc., I have allergies and don't
> want to get possibly contaminated flour. Possibly I would mill nuts but
> for now, just dry grains.
>
> any advice on what kind of home mill to get? It's just for me, I don't
> need to mill a lot at a time - few cups maybe. I'd rather get something
> that works fairly quietly although I'll put up with noise if the noisy
> mills work better.

I believe KitchenAid makes a grain mill attachment for their stand mixers.
I don't know how well it works, but for small jobs and if you already own
the mixer, it might be worth taking a look.

Eric Jorgensen

Default home milling

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:10:03 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Lacustral" > wrote in message
> > Hi, I'd like to home mill grains, beans, etc., I have allergies and
> > don't want to get possibly contaminated flour. Possibly I would mill
> > nuts but for now, just dry grains.
> >
> > any advice on what kind of home mill to get? It's just for me, I don't
> > need to mill a lot at a time - few cups maybe. I'd rather get
> > something that works fairly quietly although I'll put up with noise if
> > the noisy mills work better.

> I believe KitchenAid makes a grain mill attachment for their stand
> mixers. I don't know how well it works, but for small jobs and if you
> already own the mixer, it might be worth taking a look.

The KA Motor doesn't spin anywhere near fast enough to do actual
grinding. iirc the detailed description i read implied that it's good for
making, for example, cracked wheat for your hot cereal.
Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:10:03 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Lacustral" > wrote in message
> > Hi, I'd like to home mill grains, beans, etc., I have allergies and
> > don't want to get possibly contaminated flour. Possibly I would mill
> > nuts but for now, just dry grains.
> >
> > any advice on what kind of home mill to get? It's just for me, I don't
> > need to mill a lot at a time - few cups maybe. I'd rather get
> > something that works fairly quietly although I'll put up with noise if
> > the noisy mills work better.

> I believe KitchenAid makes a grain mill attachment for their stand
> mixers. I don't know how well it works, but for small jobs and if you
> already own the mixer, it might be worth taking a look.

The KA Motor doesn't spin anywhere near fast enough to do actual
grinding. iirc the detailed description i read implied that it's good for
making, for example, cracked wheat for your hot cereal.
Skip

Ccheck out motherearth.com, they have mucho information on grain mills. Hand
mills are quiet but some are hard work. Electric mills are easier but some
are very noisy so it is worth doing the research. Things taste so much
better with fresh flour!.

hth
Skip

"Lacustral" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'd like to home mill grains, beans, etc., I have allergies and don't
> want to get possibly contaminated flour. Possibly I would mill nuts but
> for now, just dry grains.
>
> any advice on what kind of home mill to get? It's just for me, I don't
> need to mill a lot at a time - few cups maybe. I'd rather get something
> that works fairly quietly although I'll put up with noise if the noisy
> mills work better.
>
> thanks,
> Laura

Lacustral

Skip ) wrote:
>Ccheck out motherearth.com, they have mucho information on grain mills. Hand
>mills are quiet but some are hard work. Electric mills are easier but some
>are very noisy so it is worth doing the research. Things taste so much
>better with fresh flour!.

Can you make fine flours with a hand mill?

thanks
Laura

Lacustral

Skip ) wrote:
>Ccheck out motherearth.com, they have mucho information on grain mills. Hand
>mills are quiet but some are hard work. Electric mills are easier but some
>are very noisy so it is worth doing the research. Things taste so much
>better with fresh flour!.

Can you make fine flours with a hand mill?

thanks
Laura

Raj V

Lacustral wrote:
SNIP
> any advice on what kind of home mill to get? It's just for me, I don't
> need to mill a lot at a time - few cups maybe. I'd rather get something
> that works fairly quietly although I'll put up with noise if the noisy
> mills work better.

Once you decide, you might check eBay. A lot of people THINK they want to
mill their own grain but many mills wind up in the closet.

Raj V

Raj V

Lacustral wrote:
> Can you make fine flours with a hand mill?

The one I tried in a health food shop left me exhausted trying to get
progressively finer flour. It was one of those things you try once. I
wouldn't use one for love or money. However if you insist, call around in
your area for a store that will let you try one first. Eat a hearty meal
before.

Raj V

qahtan

I can mill hard and soft wheat kernels in the wheat
mill that fits on my Kenwood mixer, it has 5 settings from coarse to fine,
it's quite fast, quiet and efficient, and will easily mill enough for what I
want.
But I cannot use nuts or seeds that have oil in them, ie:- sun flower seeds
etc. I keep the mill in a Ziploc freezer bag in the fridge when not in use,
as it cannot be washed and I don't want to encourage mealy bugs etc