Finocchio568

Default Question About Scone Dough

I love fresh scones in the morning. If I make the scone dough and refrigerate
it overnight and then bake them fresh in the morning, would that be okay?
Would chilling the scone dough affect or change anything?
qahtan

Make a small amount and try it..............................

"Finocchio568" > wrote in message
>I love fresh scones in the morning. If I make the scone dough and
>refrigerate
> it overnight and then bake them fresh in the morning, would that be okay?
> Would chilling the scone dough affect or change anything?

qahtan

Make a small amount and try it..............................

"Finocchio568" > wrote in message
>I love fresh scones in the morning. If I make the scone dough and
>refrigerate
> it overnight and then bake them fresh in the morning, would that be okay?
> Would chilling the scone dough affect or change anything?

Raj V

Finocchio568 wrote:
> I love fresh scones in the morning. If I make the scone dough and

refrigerate
> it overnight and then bake them fresh in the morning, would that be okay?
> Would chilling the scone dough affect or change anything?

If you use baking powder and mix them up the night before, the
buttermilk/liquid will start the leavening prematurely, and they would be
pretty flat. You might be able to set them by baking for half the time the
night before then complete the baking in the morning. Personally, I mix up
all the dry ingredients and butter the night before. Then in the morning, I
turn on the oven, add the buttermilk, roll/pat out, cut and they are ready
to bake before the oven has had time to heat. Three minutes tops.

RAj V

Raj V

Finocchio568 wrote:
> I love fresh scones in the morning. If I make the scone dough and

refrigerate
> it overnight and then bake them fresh in the morning, would that be okay?
> Would chilling the scone dough affect or change anything?

If you use baking powder and mix them up the night before, the
buttermilk/liquid will start the leavening prematurely, and they would be
pretty flat. You might be able to set them by baking for half the time the
night before then complete the baking in the morning. Personally, I mix up
all the dry ingredients and butter the night before. Then in the morning, I
turn on the oven, add the buttermilk, roll/pat out, cut and they are ready
to bake before the oven has had time to heat. Three minutes tops.

RAj V

Finocchio568

Raj, great idea! Never thought of that. Thanks!
Finocchio568

Raj, great idea! Never thought of that. Thanks!
Mike Avery

Finocchio568 wrote:
> I love fresh scones in the morning. If I make the scone dough and refrigerate
> it overnight and then bake them fresh in the morning, would that be okay?
> Would chilling the scone dough affect or change anything?

It would work fine. We make up a week's worth of scones at the bakery
at a time. We refrigerate them for up to two days. The rest go into
the freezer. We pull those out of the freezer and let them thaw in the
refrigerator for a day before we use them.

While baking soda and acid mixes will lose their "oomph" when stored,
double acting baking powder typically will not, as it is activated by heat.

Mike

--
Mike Avery
ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *
Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:56:47 -0700
Mike Avery > wrote:

> While baking soda and acid mixes will lose their "oomph" when stored,
> double acting baking powder typically will not, as it is activated by
> heat.

Partially.

Baking powder *is a baking soda and acid mix, of a sort. 'double acting'
means that some of the acid doesn't start to react until heated.

<soapbox>

Frequently this acid is aluminum sulfate. Hypochondriacs and
amateur hippies will tell you that aluminum is bad for you and that it will
give you all manner of health problems including alzheimer's.

These people are staggeringly stupid and completely ignorant of the fact
that aluminum is the 2nd most common solid on earth, and there is
absolutely no way to cut it out of your diet short of extremely stringent
laboratory conditions which are very difficult and expensive to achieve.
Because aluminum is in every plant on earth, and in anything that eats
plants, or anything that eats things that eat plants. It is also a critical
trace nutrient, just like fluoride.

Links between aluminum and various diseases are often sited, and people
often say, "Well, my gran died, and they did this test, and said there was
aluminum in her brain, so that's why she had alzheimer's." - Which is
bollox, because the procedure to test for aluminum is both expensive and
prone to false positives. Anybody conducting a scientific study would have
to do it three times to be sure, and since it's expensive, and they are not
conducting a scientific study, they don't.

You won't get alzheimer's from aluminum cookware or bakeware either, but
you might get funny tasting tomato sauce.

Sulfates, on the other hand, are extremely bitter and i prefer to avoid
them in lightly flavored items such as scones, biscuits, pancakes, waffles,
and some cakes. For better flavor, avoid aluminum sulfate baking powder.
Aluminum phosphate will have similar fridge performance. Calcium phosphate
won't.

</soapbox>
anon k

Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:56:47 -0700
> Mike Avery > wrote:
>

>>While baking soda and acid mixes will lose their "oomph" when stored,
>>double acting baking powder typically will not, as it is activated by
>>heat.

> Partially.
>
> Baking powder *is a baking soda and acid mix, of a sort. 'double acting'
> means that some of the acid doesn't start to react until heated.
>
> <soapbox>
>
> Sulfates, on the other hand, are extremely bitter and i prefer to avoid
> them in lightly flavored items such as scones, biscuits, pancakes, waffles,
> and some cakes. For better flavor, avoid aluminum sulfate baking powder.
> Aluminum phosphate will have similar fridge performance. Calcium phosphate
> won't.
>
> </soapbox>

Acid phosphates give a texture that doesn't match good old-fashioned
baking, if that's what you grew up with. Nothing beats the texture of
tartaric acid in my opinion! No one seems to sell it commercially
because it's single-acting, and because it cakes so easily. Most people
these days don't have much patience for either. In the good old days,
it was dispensed from little barrels that could be tumbled to break up
the lumps.

But if you're happy with the acid phosphate texture, you've nothing to lose.