Default Preparing a roast - best way?

Hi. I want to make my first roast (beef). Is it better to bake it in
the oven, or to cook it on the stove? Do I need to add potatoes,
onions, carrots, etc? I would also appreciate any specific
recipes/tips. I want to impress my fiance's parents.
Thanks!

Doug Miller

MOMPEAGRAM

Ok, these are just my opinion so if someone disagrees, please don't jump all
over me.

In my opinion, it depends on the cut of meat. A good cut can be dry roasted
in the oven. A less tender cut can be moist roasted in the oven.

Stews are done on top of the stove.

For a good cut of beef roast eg. sirloin tip, rump. Place in a shallow
roasting pan on a trivet with about 1 inch of water in the pan. Bring your
oven up to 500* and place the roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the
heat to 275 and continue cooking for approx 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on
how rare or well done you wish the roast. I use an instant thermometer and
find 45* internal produces the roast I like. You may wish it up to 65*

To moist or pot roast a less tender cut you need to use a covered pan and
more liquid. I'm not much into pot roasting so can't help further.

" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi. I want to make my first roast (beef). Is it better to bake it in
> the oven, or to cook it on the stove? Do I need to add potatoes,
> onions, carrots, etc? I would also appreciate any specific
> recipes/tips. I want to impress my fiance's parents.
> Thanks!
>
> Doug Miller

Vox Humana

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
news:1105732880.d97840926e78d07209390b178aa75883@t eranews...
> Ok, these are just my opinion so if someone disagrees, please don't jump

all
> over me.
>
> In my opinion, it depends on the cut of meat. A good cut can be dry

roasted
> in the oven. A less tender cut can be moist roasted in the oven.
>
> Stews are done on top of the stove.
>
> For a good cut of beef roast eg. sirloin tip, rump. Place in a shallow
> roasting pan on a trivet with about 1 inch of water in the pan. Bring

your
> oven up to 500* and place the roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Reduce

the
> heat to 275 and continue cooking for approx 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on
> how rare or well done you wish the roast. I use an instant thermometer

and
> find 45* internal produces the roast I like. You may wish it up to 65*
>
> To moist or pot roast a less tender cut you need to use a covered pan and
> more liquid. I'm not much into pot roasting so can't help further.

I agree. An expensive cut like a tenderloin or rib roast should be dry
roasted. Less tender cuts like chuck or a rump roast needs to be braised.
I like both types of roast and often braise less tender cuts because they
have great flavor. When I braise, I get a large, heavy skillet (cast iron)
smoking hot and put the seasoned cut of meat in it, leaving the meat
undisturbed for several minutes - until it releases from the pan. Then I
turn and repeat until all sides are well browned. I put the browned meat in
the pan I will roast it in and add a couple of sliced onions, a few large
chunks of celery, and a couple of carrots. I add liquid (water, wine,
stock, or a combination) to about 3/4 of the depth of the meat. I add some
salt, pepper, thyme, a few cloves of garlic, and any herbs that I might
like. I bring that to a simmer, put foil over the pan, and then put on the
lid. The pan goes into a 300F oven for three to four hours. If I want to
serve potatoes or other root vegetables with the roast, about 45 minutes
before the roast is done, I remove the original veggies from the pan (they
go to the dogs) and put in what I want to serve. The pan goes back into the
oven for 40 - 60 minutes, or until the vegetables are done. I will remove
the meat and vegetables from the pan, correct the seasoning of the liquid,
and slightly thicken the juices with a slurry of cornstarch and water.

Dave Bell

Vox Humana wrote:

> I just put in the initial veggies for flavor but they do get too well done
> after 3 or 4 hours of cooking for my taste. I do the same thing when I make
> stock. I strain the stock and all the solids (veggies, meat, bones) get
> ground to a paste and fed to the dogs. I call it doggie pate.

Makes me want to grab a slab of fresh sourdough and SCOOP! I'm forever
scraping the glaze off of roasting pans, and ruining my appetite, before
the meat's on the table...

Dave